+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: These Electric car things are great, in they. NOT !!!!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

These Electric car things are great, in they. NOT !!!!

https://apple.news/A1vEhHR5mSamMG3EJdHBsAw

PS:——— cash is king, as well

Re: These Electric car things are great, in they. NOT !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    https://apple.news/A1vEhHR5mSamMG3EJdHBsAw

PS:——— cash is king, as well
    "Charging an electric car at home is still much cheaper than buying a tank of fuel at the pumps"

IMO electric cars are a good idea, it's just that we are nowhere near the infrastructure needed. Certainly not for the serfs anyway

Quote Originally Posted by superfeathers View Post
    "Charging an electric car at home is still much cheaper than buying a tank of fuel at the pumps"

IMO electric cars are a good idea, it's just that we are nowhere near the infrastructure needed. Certainly not for the serfs anyway
    Infrastructure might not even be a thing.

The Chinese have apparently been using a battery swap system. You stop off at a "garage" when your battery is low, and they apparently just swap it out for a small fee. Might not even need chargers at home.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja View Post
    Infrastructure might not even be a thing.

The Chinese have apparently been using a battery swap system. You stop off at a "garage" when your battery is low, and they apparently just swap it out for a small fee. Might not even need chargers at home.
    Well that seems like an idea, but a bit of a nuisance.
    What I don't understand is why they don't do batteries that you can take out and charge.
    If you had two, then that would be a game changer and I'd do it.
    Until they do something like that I don't think it will be viable for someone like me in a terraced house

What I don't understand is why they don't do batteries that you can take out and charge.
    Until they do something like that I don't think it will be viable for someone like me in a terraced house
    Good idea except the batteries cost anything from £8k to £15k.

EV owner and advocate here. You mention terrace- presumably your point is you have no way to charge at home? If so, I agree it doesn't work. If you have somewhere you can park and charge at home it's SO easy, but if not and you would have to rely on the public infrastructure only (as.you do for a petrol car) then it's not really viable, especially if it's your main/only car.

There is really a big divide. For those who can charge at home, there really won't be many people who would have major issues going EV unless you are doing hundreds of miles a day. For those that can't charge at home- I really wouldn't recommend it. 99% of our charging is done at home and while my experience of the public network is very good, it would be too much hassle to continually have to take it places and wait while it charge. And that is the problem.

Battery swap would be great but I suspect the advancement will come through longer and longer ranges allied to faster and faster charging times

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    EV owner and advocate here. You mention terrace- presumably your point is you have no way to charge at home? If so, I agree it doesn't work. If you have somewhere you can park and charge at home it's SO easy, but if not and you would have to rely on the public infrastructure only (as.you do for a petrol car) then it's not really viable, especially if it's your main/only car.

There is really a big divide. For those who can charge at home, there really won't be many people who would have major issues going EV unless you are doing hundreds of miles a day. For those that can't charge at home- I really wouldn't recommend it. 99% of our charging is done at home and while my experience of the public network is very good, it would be too much hassle to continually have to take it places and wait while it charge. And that is the problem.

Battery swap would be great but I suspect the advancement will come through longer and longer ranges allied to faster and faster charging times
    So basically it’s bringing back a “class divide”, in the population ?

Those with houses with drives and those without

A throwback to Victorian times

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    So basically it’s bringing back a “class divide”, in the population ?

Those with houses with drives and those without

A throwback to Victorian times
    Those bloody electric Hansom cabs…..grrrr

I started a thread on electric cars on the alternative forum a few months ago.
    My sister is leasing one and she’s been banging on about how great it is
    She loaned it to me for the weekend for me to try with the intention of getting me onto the EV bandwagon.
    My experience was frustrating to say the least!!
    A two and a half hour journey took me six hours!!
    You start to go into range panic mode as the battery gets lower and you need to look for a charging point.
    Trouble I found was pulling into the services and all of the charging points were being used.
    To charge up to eighty percent roughly takes an hour.
    I couldn’t go anywhere I just had to wait until one of the charging points became available as I didn’t have enough charge to be hopping onto the next services.
    My sister had a fine through from parking eye because I had overstayed my two hours at the services.
    I sent a letter to explain but my appeal was rejected.
    It really is insane.
    Coupled with the fact that not every charging point actually worked plus in addition you had to download an app to sort payment was just so time consuming.
    Honestly the car was great but actually buy one- not an effin chance.
    As for the ‘Carbon Neutral do gooder’s’ it’s actually three to four times more Carbon Emissions to extract the lithium to make an EV which is another reason to turn your back on buying one.
    Mark my words it’ll only be a few years until the government imposes some sort of road tax for these vehicles.
    Please don’t buy one it’s all a Con 🥺

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnysideup View Post
    She loaned it to me for the weekend for me to try with the intention of getting me onto the EV bandwagon.
    You start to go into range panic mode as the battery gets lower and you need to look for a charging point.
    Trouble I found was pulling into the services and all of the charging points were being used.
    I couldn’t go anywhere I just had to wait until one of the charging points became available as I didn’t have enough charge to be hopping onto the next services.
    My sister had a fine through from parking eye because I had overstayed my two hours at the services.
    It really is insane.
    Coupled with the fact that not every charging point actually worked plus in addition you had to download an app to sort payment was just so time consuming.
    As for the ‘Carbon Neutral do gooder’s’ it’s actually three to four times more Carbon Emissions to extract the lithium to make an EV which is another reason to turn your back on buying one.
    Mark my words it’ll only be a few years until the government imposes some sort of road tax for these vehicles.
    Please don’t buy one it’s all a Con ��
    Electric cars registered from April 2025 will pay the lowest rate of £10 in the first year, then move to the standard rate which is currently £165.
    The standard rate will also apply to electric vehicles first registered after April 2017.

It really is insane.
    so you didn't charge it up before you left?

It really is insane.
    A journalist on Radio 4 yesterday said much the same regarding the time, effort and inconvenience he had when leasing an electric car for his private use - and returned it to the supplier accordingly.

Three or four times as much as what?

It really is insane.
    Yes I saw that I also mentioned a battery swap and was ridiculed…..it’s the only way it would work

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    Yes I saw that I also mentioned a battery swap and was ridiculed…..it’s the only way it would work
    no you mentioned having 2 batteries in the car, with one charging from the drive train while the other powers the car, which you were correctly ridiculed for as it would not work.

a battery swap is a completely different idea and makes sense if done right

Four times as many emissions? Compared to twenty years of someone using a Diesel engine daily. I doubt that is true.

….quick reading online…..they talk about localised contamination, water waste ….stuff like that. I think your info is a little misleading.

Anyhow. That doesn’t excuse people using diesel and petrol engines. Use a bike, public transport.

Stop making the planet unliveable for my daughter and her daughter. Or at least try. Please.

Until the range of a van gets anywhere near 500 miles and charging times reduce drastically, them I'm not even considering getting one.

🥺
    https://www.gov.uk/government/public...cles-from-2025

There you go
    Thanks for that
    The Government gets everyone on board then WHAM
    Kicked up the arse 🥺

Oh my sister love her made sure it was fully charged before I left Rjk
    Valeted as well with one of those shitty pine thingies hanging from the interior mirror 😆

Oh my sister love her made sure it was fully charged before I left Rjk
    Valeted as well with one of those shitty pine thingies hanging from the interior mirror ��
    pretty crap range then if it can't do a 2.5 hour journey on one charge, about 175 miles?
    I wouldn't even have attempted it tbh sounds like thats one of the smaller EVs meant for pootling about town

Wife & daughter in law went down West Wales last week in D.inLaw's new electric Jaguar. Needed to go off to somewhere else while they were there - around 50 mile round trip, but couldn't as they would have been out of range for the return trip. Tried charging at a services but after 30 mins had an extra '8 miles range'. It was freezing going down and they needed the heating on in the car - bingo ! Range is halved at a stroke.
    The one thing a car is supposed to do is give you freedom to go wherever you want, whenever you want.

I fortunately only loaned it for the weekend TBG
    I really think if most people had an opportunity to try before they buy they’d run a mile
    As I said my sister leases hers 👍

I fortunately only loaned it for the weekend TBG
    I really think if most people had an opportunity to try before they buy they’d run a mile
    As I said my sister leases hers ��
    I suppose that would save the car from extra mileage

As I explained Rjk the old range panic mode sets in
    The battery levels drop and not being your car you want to re charge
    It’s the re charging that proved to be an absolute nightmare.
    Petrol or diesel you can just fill up and you’re away.
    The charging points were to few and often didn’t work or were in use.
    The results were painfully long waits
    For your information I travelled from Swansea to Cobham and then from Cobham to Middlesbrough then back to Swansea 👍