+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: These Electric car things are great, in they. NOT !!!!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: These Electric car things are great, in they. NOT !!!!

I didn’t do the journey in a day Eric.
    If you read my post I borrowed my sister’s EV for the weekend.
    To clarify I was on the fence about purchasing an EV - my sister who leases hers kept banging on about how great they are and was trying to convince me to buy one through the ‘lend’ of her vehicle.
    She lives in Swansea by the way - just outside Llansamlet so I had to travel there from Cardiff in order to collect the said vehicle.
    Cobham in Surrey was work related that’s why I went there first.
    The Saturday I headed up to Boro to visit family I hadn’t seen pre covid.
    Return trip on the Sunday.
    I strongly agree that you need to plan your journey
    I did
    What’s frustrating though is pulling into a service station and the charge points are occupied with several cars waiting
    I overstayed because I had no option of going over the two hours permitted stay.
    Also I found charging points didn’t work
    Also there were connectivity issues with the charging point and syncing to the car.
    All probably easy for you because you’ve had your car four years.
    Can you honestly tell me that you never had range anxiety when you first bought your EV?
    Putting on the Air Con and driving in excess of the speed limit- it was a Porsche so I had to put my foot down - all eats into the battery range.
    Regardless of who is conning us as to the Carbon Emissions the fact remains that EV’s are producing three to four times more carbon compared to the production of Petrol or diesel counterparts
    The fact of the lithium extraction is out there for anyone to look in google land.
    What’s not really mentioned is what or where exactly are the disused batteries going to go at the end of their lives?
    Land fill - outer space?
    That’s a huge problem

I am speaking honestly in order to help others make an informed decision about purchasing an EV based on my own experiences
    Nothing i witnessed and experienced will tempt me in the slightest to buy one.
    As already said they are too expensive
    Tesla’s just dropped their prices which tells you they’re to expensive to begin with.
    Overpriced
    Infrastructure in its infancy
    Second hand value is uncertain
    More expensive to run than petrol or diesel
    If you live in terraced housing or an apartment block then they’re impractical to charge at home
    I fail to see the positives??

Walk
    Cycle
    But if you do need to drive then I’m afraid EV’s are not on my shopping list in my lifetime

Re: These Electric car things are great, in they. NOT !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnysideup View Post
    I didn’t do the journey in a day Eric.
    If you read my post I borrowed my sister’s EV for the weekend.
    To clarify I was on the fence about purchasing an EV - my sister who leases hers kept banging on about how great they are and was trying to convince me to buy one through the ‘lend’ of her vehicle.
    She lives in Swansea by the way - just outside Llansamlet so I had to travel there from Cardiff in order to collect the said vehicle.
    Cobham in Surrey was work related that’s why I went there first.
    The Saturday I headed up to Boro to visit family I hadn’t seen pre covid.
    Return trip on the Sunday.
    I strongly agree that you need to plan your journey
    I did
    What’s frustrating though is pulling into a service station and the charge points are occupied with several cars waiting
    I overstayed because I had no option of going over the two hours permitted stay.
    Also I found charging points didn’t work
    Also there were connectivity issues with the charging point and syncing to the car.
    All probably easy for you because you’ve had your car four years.
    Can you honestly tell me that you never had range anxiety when you first bought your EV?
    Putting on the Air Con and driving in excess of the speed limit- it was a Porsche so I had to put my foot down - all eats into the battery range.
    Regardless of who is conning us as to the Carbon Emissions the fact remains that EV’s are producing three to four times more carbon compared to the production of Petrol or diesel counterparts
    The fact of the lithium extraction is out there for anyone to look in google land.
    What’s not really mentioned is what or where exactly are the disused batteries going to go at the end of their lives?
    Land fill - outer space?
    That’s a huge problem

I am speaking honestly in order to help others make an informed decision about purchasing an EV based on my own experiences
    Nothing i witnessed and experienced will tempt me in the slightest to buy one.
    As already said they are too expensive
    Tesla’s just dropped their prices which tells you they’re to expensive to begin with.
    Overpriced
    Infrastructure in its infancy
    Second hand value is uncertain
    More expensive to run than petrol or diesel
    If you live in terraced housing or an apartment block then they’re impractical to charge at home
    I fail to see the positives??

Walk
    Cycle
    But if you do need to drive then I’m afraid EV’s are not on my shopping list in my lifetime
    I completely agree that it's much easier when you have a bit of experience of driving an EV. In my case I did a fair bit of reading/You Tubing before I bought one so I knew where I was from the word go. It's completely different if you're just hiring or borrowing one for the first time.

No I've genuinely never had range anxiety. On the odd occasion when I've been too low to get to the charger I plan to go to I just got on the sat nav and found a nearer one. Yes it can be frustrating to find chargers out of order, but apps like Zapp Map will tell you if they are working or not before you waste time going there. I don't agree that the infrastructure is in its infancy.

Your point about uncertain second hand values is interesting. The one thing we do know is that ICE cars will be an obsolete technology in a few years. I don't think you'll be able to give one away as 2030 approaches. It's a bit like trying to flog a Euro 5 diesel car in London now as the ULEZ zone is expanded out to the M25.

There are solutions to charging if you live in a terraced house or apartment. Councils can provide lamp post chargers where people can trickle charge overnight. Destination chargers at supermarkets, pubs, multi storeys etc. often provide (relatively slow) charging at low prices. My local Tesco is cheaper than I'm currently paying at home. I even know one multi storey that still offers free charging. Admittedly that's very rare now.

As I mentioned in my first reply, it's unusual to have to replace an entire battery. The average lifespan of a petrol or diesel car in the UK is 9.7 years. EV batteries are warranted for at least 7 and even if you did have one that was uneconomic to repair it would never be put in landfill. Typically, they would be repurposed for home energy storage, or recycled for the valuable contents, particularly the lithium and cobalt.

Reasons to buy one? Clean air and lower carbon emissions are enough for me but there are others: cheaper to run except in very specific circumstances, no congestion charging in big cities and much nicer to drive especially in traffic. Also, in a few years you won't have a choice unless they invent something else.