+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: These Electric car things are great, in they. NOT !!!!

Re: These Electric car things are great, in they. NOT !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    Two things.

1. A couple of years ago "hydrogen cells" would be the big game-changer - but it's all gone quiet on that front.

2.All petrol cars have batteries which are rechargeable - in fact we charge them as we drive; this is the function of the alternator we all have under the bonnet.
    Batteries for electric cars are rechargeable - why can't a similar system be incorporated? Or does this fall into the "perpetual motion is impossible" theory?
    Point 2 has been discussed on here before, and it does seem logical that a battery cannot contain enough energy to drive a car AND completely charge another similar sized battery.

Two things.

1. A couple of years ago "hydrogen cells" would be the big game-changer - but it's all gone quiet on that front.

2.All petrol cars have batteries which are rechargeable - in fact we charge them as we drive; this is the function of the alternator we all have under the bonnet.
    Batteries for electric cars are rechargeable - why can't a similar system be incorporated? Or does this fall into the "perpetual motion is impossible" theory?
    2 yes someone on the other thread recently thought about having 2 batteries, one charging from the other one while the car is driving, but in reality, without breaking the laws of thermodynamics, it actually shortens the range and is more expensive

Nobody knows Lardy the exact life expectancy of an electric car??
    Batteries degrade over time
    The pioneers buying EV’s are looking at replacing the batteries at huge costs
    I for one wouldn’t buy an EV let alone a ten year old second hand one
    Would anyone ??
    So back to the Buy an Electric Vehicle and help save the planet hard sell it’s all a scam
    They look like being bigger polluters than conventional vehicles mate 🤔

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnysideup View Post
    Would anyone ??
    So back to the Buy an Electric Vehicle and help save the planet hard sell it’s all a scam
    They look like being bigger polluters than conventional vehicles mate ��
    I imagine that they've got a pretty good idea of electric and conventional cars' life expectancies. They can do the calculations and compare emissions over 100,000km, 200,000km and so on.

I'm not rushing out to buy one for pretty much the same reason as you've given - the current expense and inconvenience. But I can't accept that over, say, 10 years it's worse for the environment than a petrol diesel.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    https://apple.news/A1vEhHR5mSamMG3EJdHBsAw

PS:——— cash is king, as well

There is a very good YouTube channel called Harry's Garage if you are interested in cars.

He is driving more and more EVs as we are all being told that it is the future.

He pointed out though that there are approx 8,500 petrol stations in the UK where it takes about 5 mins to fill up. That gives you a range of 5-600 miles on some cars.

Until the EV network comes close to that and/or battery efficiency improves significantly, lots of people will remain sceptical and ecological benefits will remain in the back seat.

Would anyone ??
    They look like being bigger polluters than conventional vehicles mate 🤔
    Although I've heard from several sources that the manufacture of an electric car is worse for the environment than manufacturing a traditional petrol/diesel car, I haven't heard anything to suggest that once in use this isn't overcome quite quickly. Say for example, you get back in the green as it were, after 2 years, then that's a lot of years where the car is greener than a diesel or petrol car.

Lardy
    If in ten years time you have to replace the entire battery in your EV then it’s back down the lithium mines in Angola or Australia who are the main polluters sorry miners in the world
    That’s another three or four times the carbon in comparison blah blah to produce one battery
    It’s not better for the planet full stop.
    As for the cost electric cars they are way more expensive than conventional vehicles and as per the Op’s original post they are more expensive to run with the cost of electric.
    Why would anyone buy one?
    It just doesn’t make sense!!
    I’ve driven one for an entire weekend and I couldn’t wait to return it
    And that model was a Porsche by the way 😖

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja View Post
    Infrastructure might not even be a thing.

The Chinese have apparently been using a battery swap system. You stop off at a "garage" when your battery is low, and they apparently just swap it out for a small fee. Might not even need chargers at home.
    I've not heard about battery swaps for electric cars here in China. I'm not saying there aren't any, just that I'm not aware of them. I'm led to believe that they are big bloody things anyway!
    The 'Deliveroo' riders use such a swap system for their e-bikes.

I had an electric car about 6 years ago. I was working for a car company in China and they kindly lent me one for a year.
    At that time, there wasn't the abundance of charging points that there are now and that was very problematic for me. I live in a high-rise apartment block (as do so many Chinese) and that was a stumbling block, it ruled out charging at home.

Sometimes the nearest public charging point would be a bus ride back to my home after leaving it to charge. It was very inconvenient, to say the least.

As for the charging - the battery couldn't take the quick charge that so many EVs do nowadays. I used to let the battery go down to about 15% and let it charge overnight (would take about 7 hours to charge fully).
    The other problem I often encountered was drivers would hook up to charge and leave it there all day and evening, even petrol cars would use the space to park their cars, I would find myself frantically searching for another place to charge, while watching the battery go lower and lower.

The plus side of things is that electric vehicles have free parking in my city.
    Charging was as 'cheap as chips' - I used to charge it 3 times a week, urban travel only, at a cost of ¥12 (£1.50) each time.
    I should point out that this was no Tesla rival, it was a rather small EV (too small, to be honest).
    Oh, but it was fast! When I first had it I used to think I had jumped the lights, as when I looked in my rear-view mirror the other cars seemed as if they were still standing at the lights!

I don't think my experience is really relevant to the latest EVs, coupled with the fact many of you can probably recharge at home.

I started a thread on electric cars on the alternative forum a few months ago.
    My sister is leasing one and she’s been banging on about how great it is
    She loaned it to me for the weekend for me to try with the intention of getting me onto the EV bandwagon.
    My experience was frustrating to say the least!!
    A two and a half hour journey took me six hours!!
    You start to go into range panic mode as the battery gets lower and you need to look for a charging point.
    Trouble I found was pulling into the services and all of the charging points were being used.
    To charge up to eighty percent roughly takes an hour.
    I couldn’t go anywhere I just had to wait until one of the charging points became available as I didn’t have enough charge to be hopping onto the next services.
    My sister had a fine through from parking eye because I had overstayed my two hours at the services.
    I sent a letter to explain but my appeal was rejected.
    It really is insane.
    Coupled with the fact that not every charging point actually worked plus in addition you had to download an app to sort payment was just so time consuming.
    Honestly the car was great but actually buy one- not an effin chance.
    As for the ‘Carbon Neutral do gooder’s’ it’s actually three to four times more Carbon Emissions to extract the lithium to make an EV which is another reason to turn your back on buying one.
    Mark my words it’ll only be a few years until the government imposes some sort of road tax for these vehicles.
    Please don’t buy one it’s all a Con ��
    Yes I saw that I also mentioned a battery swap and was ridiculed…..it’s the only way it would work

If you are wondering about the very low cost of charging (£1.50) it should be pointed out that electricity is very cheap here, it's mostly hydro-electricity and can't be stored (we do get power cuts in the summer though).

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    Yes I saw that I also mentioned a battery swap and was ridiculed…..it’s the only way it would work
    no you mentioned having 2 batteries in the car, with one charging from the drive train while the other powers the car, which you were correctly ridiculed for as it would not work.

a battery swap is a completely different idea and makes sense if done right

Who by?
    Not me
    I think the idea of a battery swap has legs
    Pull into a kwik fit or a Halfords at a pre arranged time and have the battery swapped for a fully charged one
    Great idea but I don’t think practical
    You’re actually sitting on the battery
    I couldn’t imagine exactly how long it would take to remove and replace mate
    It’s all about having more time and convenience as well as giving your carbon footprint a warm glow
    Owning an electric car is a constant headache
    If you only commute to the supermarket and school run you’d look great but they are definitely not worth having if you’re doing motorway mileage

Who by?
    Not me
    I think the idea of a battery swap has legs
    Pull into a kwik fit or a Halfords at a pre arranged time and have the battery swapped for a fully charged one
    Great idea but I don’t think practical
    You’re actually sitting on the battery
    I couldn’t imagine exactly how long it would take to remove and replace mate
    It’s all about having more time and convenience as well as giving your carbon footprint a warm glow
    Owning an electric car is a constant headache
    If you only commute to the supermarket and school run you’d look great but they are definitely not worth having if you’re doing motorway mileage
    yeah you have to get the right tool for the job, bombing up and down the motorway isn't really what they are set up for at this point

If you bought one I’m sure there will be a class action lawsuit soon against the manufacturers claims.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    There is a very good YouTube channel called Harry's Garage if you are interested in cars.

He is driving more and more EVs as we are all being told that it is the future.

He pointed out though that there are approx 8,500 petrol stations in the UK where it takes about 5 mins to fill up. That gives you a range of 5-600 miles on some cars.

Until the EV network comes close to that and/or battery efficiency improves significantly, lots of people will remain sceptical and ecological benefits will remain in the back seat.
    It's not just the network. Ask every member of this forum if they would be able to charge their car at home and I doubt 25% could answer 'no problem'. It's never going to be a practical solution for the majority of motorists. Can you imagine a Friday before Bank Holiday ? Tesco on Western Avenue can 'turn over' 300+ cars every hour. If they had the equivalent number of electric charging points it would be more like 16..

Or if you live in an apartment block or terraced house 🤔

Or if you live in an apartment block or terraced house ��
    A very long extension lead is the answer.

Or if you live in an apartment block or terraced house ��
    True. The mobility scooter problem (where to keep, how to charge without creating a hazard on landings and with trailing cables) has not been solved after 20-30 years. People usually find a work-around but it is still a mess, and an obstruction.

Investment in infrastructure, charging points, secure charge locations and battery technology are all needed.

But I bet this conversation will look dated very soon. In 20 years most cars on UK roads will be electric.

Not up here on Teesside it hasn't : https://www.bp.com/en_gb/united-king...-teesside.html

The Tees Valley Metro mayor has also led the charge to Net Zero by purchasing the airport and saving it from closure. It's now thriving and seen as essential in attracting inward investment. On land being cleared from the old Redcar steel works we have constructions of a net zero power station, Blue and Green Hydrogen manufacture, wind turbine factory with deep water export facility, carbon capture and storage, hydrogen transport research centre aiming to get 10,000 local HGV's and buses using it for fuel.

The region was on it's arse a few years ago but is currently the epicentre of the UK's net zero ambitions

Hey TeesBlue
    Just wondering if you’re planning on travelling down on the eleventh of next month?
    Reason I’m asking is a good mate of mine (Boro fan) runs coaches to away games
    I’m sure he’d be more than happy to have you on board
    They leave that little bit earlier and are accommodated at a local hostelry for several hours fed then we all jump on getting a lift to the ground
    If you’re interested Pm me and I’ll gladly sort you out mate ⚽️🍺👍

well you may as well get used to it as your fuel guzzling motors will not be in production for many more years

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    well you may as well get used to it as your fuel guzzling motors will not be in production for many more years
    I think they will be personally

I entered a competition on autotrader.The prize was a honda small electric. 100 mile range.It would take forever to get somewhere like London.

I'm not reading the three bllx pages - EV's are brilliant end of..... especially Tesla's

Mr Tit, if you want a test drive PM me