+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: These Electric car things are great, in they. NOT !!!!

Re: These Electric car things are great, in they. NOT !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnysideup View Post
    On EV ownership the negatives far outweigh the positives
    From initial cost to second hand value
    Then there’s the “What about the children of the future brigade”
    Please go over to Angola and stop the exploitation of these young children digging the Lithium out of the ground for EV batteries
    We can argue this thread for a week and never agree
    As I’ve said earlier in the thread I borrowed my sister’s EV for a weekend and couldn’t wait to give it back
    Where do all the components of a smart phone come from?

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Bullshit
    EV chargers are located at motorway service stations so the extra fraction of a mile to detour when on the motorway is a non issue

There are instances where people have had to queue for hours (even getting overstay fines) at motorway services
    No they are not , plan a journey from Cardiff to North Yorkshire where you need a Tesla supercharger and work out the detour , I’ve done it in a Tesla and it’s a nightmare.

Probably takes at least an hour longer and that’s with a clear run in summertime.

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    No they are not , plan a journey from Cardiff to North Yorkshire where you need a Tesla supercharger and work out the detour , I’ve done it in a Tesla and it’s a nightmare.

Probably takes at least an hour longer and that’s with a clear run in summertime.
    IF YOU READ MY POST PROPERLY, YOU SHOULD HAVE NOTICED THAT THIS BIT
    EV chargers are located at motorway service stations so the extra fraction of a mile to detour when on the motorway is a non issue
    WAS COPIED FROM A PREVIOUS POST, and I was saying it was BULLSHIT

Read what’s written, not what you think is written

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    IF YOU READ MY POST PROPERLY, YOU SHOULD HAVE NOTICED THAT THIS BIT
    WAS COPIED FROM A PREVIOUS POST, and I was saying it was BULLSHIT

Read what’s written, not what you think is written
    Ok cheers , my mistake .

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    Ok cheers , my mistake .

Quote Originally Posted by Tito Fuente View Post
    "As the boss of one of the big fuel companies pointed out to mad Greta , he has done more in the last 20 years than anyone to redcue pollution"

Nice to see that satire is alive and well
    Are you honestly suggesting that fuel and car companies have not been ploughing, research and money in effort to clean up the use of fuel and cars , over the last 20 years ??

The man in question was on about doing something tangible , Greta and the rich gang , who can afford to protest and not work don't solution tangible /deliverable results , they just protest , fuel and car companies have spent millions in research and change of technologies, so yes they have done more .. probably before she was born

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Where do all the components of a smart phone come from?
    The earth ,love to know the carbon footprint on that one , ring Greta's smartphone or she using pigeon theses days ?

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Are you honestly suggesting that fuel and car companies have not been ploughing, research and money in effort to clean up the use of fuel and cars , over the last 20 years ??

The man in question was on about doing something tangible , Greta and the rich gang , who can afford to protest and not work don't solution tangible /deliverable results , they just protest , fuel and car companies have spent millions in research and change of technologies, so yes they have done more .. probably before she was born
    I am absolutely suggesting that. Yes.

I'd hazard a guess that they spend infinitely more on lobbying than they do on anything green related.

It's not in their best interests to spend money on things that make their product obsolete.

If you'd like to prove me wrong by presenting "tangible" evidence of what this particular gentleman has done as boss of a fossil fuel company, then I'd love to see it.

After all, every day is a school day, isn't it?

Another question, sorry.

Why is it mainly middle aged men on the internet who have such a lasting fascination with Greta Thunberg?

It's a little bit creepy.

Another question, sorry.

Why is it mainly middle aged men on the internet who have such a lasting fascination with Greta Thunberg?

I'm 37 and I'm not bothered that she's protesting against this and that, but I think people have a point when they say she's being used etc.

I'm 37 and I'm not bothered that she's protesting against this and that, but I think people have a point when they say she's being used etc.
    There's a lot more of an element of personal comments aimed at her than claims of her being "used" by others - in my experience anyway.

Take 3 of Life on Mars' posts today as a tiny sample size of what is said on a grander scale.

I think it's weird.

There's a lot more of an element of personal comments aimed at her than claims of her being "used" by others - in my experience anyway.

Take 3 of Life on Mars' posts today as a tiny sample size of what is said on a grander scale.

I think it's weird.
    It's definitely weird.

But I also agree she's a puppet.

They're taking advantage of her determination and desire to do good in the world.

It's definitely weird.

But I also agree she's a puppet.

They're taking advantage of her determination and desire to do good in the world.
    Fair enough.

Another question, sorry.

I'd shag her if she wanted. Nothing creepy.

Considering that you will not be able to buy any poisoning fume cars relatively soon - get with it Dino's - EV cars are great - Tesla's even better

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lung View Post
    Apart from the fact she still looks about 12.

I know her age. She looks young.

How very edgy of you

How very edgy of you
    Just trying to offer my support to a young lady.

Just trying to offer my support to a young lady.
    Congratulations. Nobody is impressed by your edginess though.

Have you tried an Andrew Tate group?

Congratulations. Nobody is impressed by your edginess though.

Have you tried an Andrew Tate group?
    Yes, they didn't want me.

From FT.

myFT
    Germany slams the brakes on the EU’s engine ban
    The clean energy transition requires painful trade-offs.

An electric Porsche on the production line in Stuttgart, Germany. The country’s politicians must prioritise green technologies and find ways to address the resulting pressures © Krisztian Bocsi/Bloomberg
    Germany slams the brakes on the EU’s engine ban on twitter (opens in a new window)
    Germany slams the brakes on the EU’s engine ban on facebook (opens in a new window)

Germany slams the brakes on the EU’s engine ban on what
    Talk about a legislative car crash. Ambitious plans by the EU to ban the sale of new vehicles powered by internal combustion engines by 2035 have been thwarted after last-minute opposition by Germany, the powerhouse of Europe’s car industry. What was meant to be a simple rubber-stamping by ministers this week of measures agreed last year by member states and recently approved by the European parliament has instead been indefinitely postponed. Not only does Germany set a terrible example to other countries tempted to hold legislation hostage to national interests, it also threatens the credibility of Berlin on the green transition, and that of the EU. The bloc’s proposed ban is a key component of its target to reach carbon neutrality by 2050. That journey has now hit a roadblock.

The dangers of a changing climate require a global shift from fossil fuels to cleaner alternatives at a scale and pace never attempted before. It is necessary to remove one of the biggest contributors to the climate emergency. There will be painful trade-offs, including job losses in polluting industries. In the auto industry’s case, the figures are stark: scrapping internal combustion engines in favour of electric vehicles could lead to 40 per cent fewer workers, reckons the chief executive of Ford, which has just cut 3,800 jobs across Europe. Given that Germany’s traditional car manufacturing industry makes up a fifth of the country’s industrial revenues, it is easy to understand why its politicians may be keen, particularly in a cost of living crisis, to preserve jobs in one of the country’s most totemic industries.

Without Berlin’s backing, the combustion-engine ban will not pass. Italy, home to the Ferrari, is supporting Germany. Poland has already stated its opposition to the law, while Bulgaria has said it will abstain. Germany is insisting that the European Commission includes an exemption for cars using so-called e-fuels, synthetic fuels made from hydrogen and carbon dioxide. E-fuels can be used by regular engines, which could mean a lifeline for traditional manufacturers. But e-fuels are far from being the panacea they are sometimes presented as: they are expensive, inefficient and emit as much nitrogen dioxide as burning fossil fuels would, even if they are technically climate neutral.

Neither are manufacturers particularly pushing e-fuels, beyond Bosch, the German engine supplier considered a laggard on battery manufacturing. Porsche wants to continue using engines for its 911 model, and Ferrari has said it is considering — although is yet to commit to — using e-fuels. But other German and Italian carmakers, including Volkswagen, Fiat and Mercedes-Benz, have bet on EVs for the future and have set dates for the phaseout of traditional engine manufacturing.

Climate Capital

Where climate change meets business, markets and politics. Explore the FT’s coverage here.

Are you curious about the FT’s environmental sustainability commitments? Find out more about our science-based targets here

Infighting among Germany’s ruling three-party coalition goes some way to explaining how the current impasse has been reached. From both a productivity and a climate perspective, the country’s politicians have to prioritise clean energy and find ways to address the resulting pressures. But the debacle over engines highlights that while the EU is among the world’s leaders in setting clean-energy targets, those now need to be matched with concrete action to meet them and to attenuate the collateral damage of doing so. Brussels must also consider how meaningful targets are if they are not enforced: France missed its renewable energy target from 2020, the only state to do so, and the commission is yet to decide whether and how to place sanctions on it. Transitioning to carbon neutrality by 2050 will be fiendishly difficult. But given that member states agreed to targets, it is now incumbent upon them to do all they can to meet them.

( And in my opinion the other thing bugging Europe /USA is Chinas ability in the Electric Battery world )

There are so many side issues and costs associated. I’ve been working with the German big 3, since 2018 on this project and the issues continue to mount. It’s not just batteries, it’s the vehicle management system, thermal management, weight management etc. This means fluid cooling systems, replacing aluminium with magnesium. More information systems means more heat, more power consumption, added software development. A single component we supply is 4x the cost for the EV version compared to the fossil fuel version. The next generation of vehicles from the big 3 covers the period 2025-2032, beyond that is a massive challenge.

in the lead-up to the Cop26 climate conference Volvo revealed alarming figures that greenhouse gas emissions in the production of an electric car were 70 per cent higher than in the manufacturing of a petrol one due to the resource-sapping lithium ion batteries.

The big 3, presented a white paper to the German government on this very subject in 2019, demonstrating the huge negatives of mining, use of rare materials, manufacturing emissions etc. As the report says,the focus is on what comes out of the exhaust, not the overall impact.