+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EFL embargo not lifted.

Another spanner in the works

According to WOL

"The EFL rule that if an embargo has been in place for more than 30 days then the club are prohibited from paying a fee for a player for three windows.

As we understand it, the EFL assert the club were notified of the embargo more than 30 days before paying the £7m to Nantes this week and therefore this particular part of the ban has not yet been lifted. Talks, however, are going on behind the scenes in a bid to find a solution.

What it essentially means for the time being is that Cardiff are able to register new players but are unable to pay fees for them for the next three windows."

https://mobile.twitter.com/lee_georg...74535889682434

EFL embargo not lifted.

Well,not entirely - only free transfers and loans (with no loan fee paid) this month according to this;-

https://www.newsnow.co.uk/h/Sport/Fo...f+City?type=ln

Re: EFL embargo not lifted.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Well,not entirely - only free transfers and loans (with no loan fee paid) this month according to this;-

I think that would have been the case anyway if it’s true regardless of what stipulation is in place ?

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    I think that would have been the case anyway if it’s true regardless of what stipulation is in place ?
    Possibly, but would we have paid what works out at around £7 million just to sign frees and cheap loans? I’m assuming there that we paid the first instalment because we wanted to bring in players this month, but then you’d think that, if we were always going to pay £7 million, we’d have made sure that we did so within the thirty days.

In / out , shake it all about , lets take the positiveness out of this ..

Possibly, but would we have paid what works out at around £7 million just to sign frees and cheap loans? I’m assuming there that we paid the first instalment because we wanted to bring in players this month, but then you’d think that, if we were always going to pay £7 million, we’d have made sure that we did so within the thirty days.
    We may have done so within 30 days, as the WO article hinges on one line "As we understand it".
    I wouldn't put too much hope on anything that WO understand.
    Either way, i'd be confident that we'd be able to appeal this particular clause given the unique scenario that led to the delayed payment

Quote Originally Posted by superfeathers View Post
    We may have done so within 30 days, as the WO article hinges on one line "As we understand it".
    I wouldn't put too much hope on anything that WO understand.
    Either way, i'd be confident that we'd be able to appeal this particular clause given the unique scenario that led to the delayed payment
    I might be wrong, but I think that story has come from the club.

The ‘unique scenario’ that led to delayed payment was the club’s decision to ignore the Court of Arbitration for Sport’s judgement in August 2022.

Well should that be the case maybe it's an embargo of convenience, I don't think we were going to see many fees floating around anytime soon anyway

You are probably correct , I’ve always said the stuff they write goes through the club most of the time and posters dismissed the notion out of hand when a discussion was going on.

Sorry, here’s the story I was referring to.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...ually-25956639

I guess for example, we could loan a player from Kortrijk if they were to sign someone first

Wonder if it applies to compensation for out of contact young players too.

Wot a shambles. I wonder if Vinny kept the receipt.

Well should that be the case maybe it's an embargo of convenience, I don't think we were going to see many fees floating around anytime soon anyway
    I think there’s still room for some “creative” deals - for example, the Gareth Ainsworth type whereby we took over the contract of a player who did not have long left on his deal and was not going to sign a new one. That could be reported as a free transfer with the “fee” being the money a club makes by no longer having to pay his wages.

I think there’s still room for some “creative” deals - for example, the Gareth Ainsworth type whereby we took over the contract of a player who did not have long left on his deal and was not going to sign a new one. That could be reported as a free transfer with the “fee” being the money a club makes by no longer having to pay his wages.
    What about a free transfer with some very interesting addons further down the line

Quote Originally Posted by LA Bluebird View Post
    Wot a shambles. I wonder if Vinny kept the receipt.
    Shambles is basically the only word for the season. Even when we pay up we are restricted. (Possibly, apparently)

Honestly don't know why Netflix or prime aren't interested, would be far more interesting than most all or nothing or similar type releases.

At long as we get McGuiness back I'm fine with it

Do you think we were going to Pay 7million and then have money left over to buy players?

I always assumed this window would be loans and maybe frees who have their contract terminated as part of the agreement when we sign them. I don't think we improve upon what we've got without spending north of 2 million per player, i just don't think we have that sort money, especially now.

P
    Quote Originally Posted by OurManFlint II View Post
    Do you think we were going to Pay 7million and then have money left over to buy players?

I always assumed this window would be loans and maybe frees who have their contract terminated as part of the agreement when we sign them. I don't think we improve upon what we've got without spending north of 2 million per player, i just don't think we have that sort money, especially now.
    Free doesn’t mean free though, the better the player, the higher the wages/signing on fee etc, so money will be needed, it’s not a food bank. Warnock was lauded for his ‘free, out of contract’ signings, those players may well have cost more than players we paid a fee for in the long run.

So, what’s the point in paying the first instalment now?

I saw someone mention a possible points deduction if we didn't pay. Not sure how true it is

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    I saw someone mention a possible points deduction if we didn't pay. Not sure how true it is
    That would do it I’m sure.

International

Left back from somewhere somehow is essential!

So they can bring in loans and frees during the window. I'll be surprised if we spend anything over 1 million.