+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Mark Hudson sacked following bleak, mid winter draw with bottom of the table Wigan.

Mark Hudson sacked following bleak, mid winter draw with bottom of the table Wigan.

Cardiff City - the very definition of a "basket case club".

https://mauveandyellowarmy.net/

Re: Mark Hudson sacked following bleak, mid winter draw with bottom of the table Wigan.

Great read as always

What surprised me with the team selection yesterday was if Simpson Nelson ojo and philogene were rewarded for their performances against Leeds (that's all I can clutch at) then why did rhinomata and sang get bounced to the bench as personally I thought they did well against Leeds

Ng was shocking yesterday and I thought rhino made a big difference when he came on

As for the embargo and the late payment this is a club who didn't know if they did or didn't have to have a player insured, did or didn't know if said player was ours or not etc etc - a catalogue of bad administration so should we be surprised

God knows what the next week or so holds but if past experience is anything to go by it will be in a news vacuum and decisions won't be made quickly

Re: Mark Hudson sacked following bleak, mid winter draw with bottom of the table Wigan.

I think the question to be asked - and subsequently answered - is, would another manager get better results from this squad ? On reflection the City played well in the 2nd half against two men and two banks of 4 behind the ball. Poor decision making as usual but the tempo was quicker and Wigan were forced into just getting rid of the ball whenever they could. But probably the sloppiness in good positions which wasn't there under the more authoritarian Morison eventually cost us in the dying minutes when we had chances to run the clock down, or at least not give the ball away 2 or 3 times. Whereas I reckon the players were shocked and dismayed at Morison's sacking, this one will be greeted with little regret.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    I think the question to be asked - and subsequently answered - is, would another manager get better results from this squad ? On reflection the City played well in the 2nd half against two men and two banks of 4 behind the ball. Poor decision making as usual but the tempo was quicker and Wigan were forced into just getting rid of the ball whenever they could. But probably the sloppiness in good positions which wasn't there under the more authoritarian Morison eventually cost us in the dying minutes when we had chances to run the clock down, or at least not give the ball away 2 or 3 times. Whereas I reckon the players were shocked and dismayed at Morison's sacking, this one will be greeted with little regret.
    I think some players were shocked and dismayed at Morison’s exit because he’d only just signed them, some others who had been here longer may have felt differently.

Hudson was right when he said we were naive yesterday and what makes that worse is that possibly the most experienced player left at the club, Sawyers, was one of a pair of City players who butchered a two on two late on. It’s been a bugbear of mine that City teams of the past have taken the ball to the corners when they’re more than one goal in front. Five months into the season and I’ve still to find out if this team will do the same - the only time we’ve won by more than a single goal margin,we went 3-1 up so late on that we couldn’t find out, but, judging by what happened yesterday, they’d probably tamely turn over possession before it got to that stage - when they really did need to take the ball to the corners, they proved incapable of doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Cardiff City - the very definition of a "basket case club".

https://mauveandyellowarmy.net/
    Good write-up, as always. Was it a penalty after they'd equalised, surprised it hasn't been mentioned more on here? We got what we deserved after the way we dealt with injury time, as you pointed out, but it looked like Philogene was brought down to us. Would've been an interesting bit of deja vu if Robinson had stepped up, missed the penalty, and then Hudson got sacked.

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    Good write-up, as always. Was it a penalty after they'd equalised, surprised it hasn't been mentioned more on here? We got what we deserved after the way we dealt with injury time, as you pointed out, but it looked like Philogene was brought down to us. Would've been an interesting bit of deja vu if Robinson had stepped up, missed the penalty, and then Hudson got sacked.
    Didn’t look like a penalty, but I’m waiting for the extended highlights to come out on the club website because we’ll get all sorts of replays from different angles if they think there’s a chance it was one.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody's Rep View Post
    Ng was shocking yesterday...
    He was absolutely terrible. Poor in defence, offered little going forward and his pathetic play-acting in stoppage time gave the referee an opportunity to add more time on.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Whereas I was completely underwhelmed by a summer of free signings most of whom I had never heard of, I have no doubt that another manager (tbc obvs) can get more from them. That is part of the job of a manager after all! To motivate and improve players (like all managers in all companies)

Most of our players are average Championship players from what I have seen and so some will have potential to improve with decent man management (easy to say, hard to do).

Not surprisingly the only player who looks a cut above the rest is Robinson.

Didn’t look like a penalty, but I’m waiting for the extended highlights to come out on the club website because we’ll get all sorts of replays from different angles if they think there’s a chance it was one.
    From where I was (and those around me) in the canton it looked like a stonewall penalty but like you haven't seen it again

My only truck with the ref apart from that was consistency booking our players for exactly the same offences as Wigan got away with example being Alsopp getting booked for time wasting and Amos not but having said that Alsopp does my nut in with his time wasting as all it does is get the refs back up when there is no need to

The penalty looked like wishful thinking to
    me. He was only ever looking to go down, no attempt to look up for a pass. Their goal was criminal as many have said. We could have used the ball far better and no one attempted to close down the defence. Etete, who couldn’t have been exhausted, stood off and Philogene just ran the other way.

I just think it's an attitude adjustment. You couldn't help noticing yesterday after we'd scored and this has been present for quite a while now.I wish I had a pound for every time we've tried to defend a 1-0 lead and often wondered why we do this and not try and make it two nil instead. I mean up until the point we scored we hadn't conceded.

Quote Originally Posted by sneggyblubird View Post
    I just think it's an attitude adjustment. You couldn't help noticing yesterday after we'd scored and this has been present for quite a while now.I wish I had a pound for every time we've tried to defend a 1-0 lead and often wondered why we do this and not try and make it two nil instead. I mean up until the point we scored we hadn't conceded.
    We’ve always done it and the only side I’ve seen under Tan who were consistently good at it was the 12/13 Championship winning team.

We’ve always done it and the only side I’ve seen under Tan who were consistently good at it was the 12/13 Championship winning team.
    You're not wrong as the first Warnock side were good at it too but I still think using yesterday as an example we would have defiantly won 1-0 if they hadn't changed to a win by time wasting and not chasing down their players and generally standing off. Playing like we did before we'd scored would have ensured a 1-0 win.

Just watched the extended highlights, no replays of the penalty incident at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by sneggyblubird View Post
    You're not wrong as the first Warnock side were good at it too but I still think using yesterday as an example we would have defiantly won 1-0 if they hadn't changed to a win by time wasting and not chasing down their players and generally standing off. Playing like we did before we'd scored would have ensured a 1-0 win.
    Defiance is something we’re lacking.

Just watched the extended highlights, no replays of the penalty incident at the end.
    Ok, thanks. It was an incident packed game to be fair, I guess once they'd shown all the goalmouth action then there wasn't any room to fit that replay in.

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    Ok, thanks. It was an incident packed game to be fair, I guess once they'd shown all the goalmouth action then there wasn't any room to fit that replay in.

O’Dowda “feathered” in his goal apparently.

O’Dowda “feathered” in his goal apparently.
    Maybe the commentator thought that was the opposite of leathered. Nice finish, I reckon he'd have buried a similar chance in the Leeds game if Harris had squared it to him at 2-1. By the way, you called him Brendan O'Dowda in your Leeds match report. Hudson made some odd subs here but even he wouldn't have brought on a player's late singing grandad. Maybe he would have, we'll never know now.

I'd like to see another angle of that penalty shout. Philogene did really well to burst into the box (something I'd been hoping Isaak Davies would try to do) and had got ahead of the defenders. I was sure they'd brought him down but the ref didn't give it and didn't book him for diving either so I'm not sure what he thought had happened.