+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Growth spurts.

Growth spurts.

Heard a conversation between two presenters on Radio 5 and their tennis expert on my car radio this morning about the twenty one year British player Dan Draper, the tennis expert said Draper had a growth spurt and one of the presenters said straight away “you don’t get those when you’re twenty one!”. The tennis expert clarified that Draper was seventeen at the time and confirmed that he’d been told by the medics that growth spurts were indeed a late teenage thing and you don’t get them at twenty one.

How little they know! They obviously haven’t been paying attention to Cardiff City - has our soon to be 21 year old Welsh international had another one I wonder as he’s not been in the squad for our last two games.

Re: Growth spurts.

from an article about Stephen Gerrard
    By the 1999-00 season, Gerrard was making more appearances and slowly building up his presence. However, he was plagued by back and groin injuries, the latter requiring four different operations despite his young age. Most of his back pains, meanwhile, were attributed to accelerated growth over a short amount of time.

“I'm pleased I spotted him very quickly. I saw an academy game and asked him to come with the pros immediately. I'm pleased we did that because [Liverpool footballer] Sammy Lee once said: 'You saved his career.' We sorted out his back problems [and] his growing problems gradually,” said Houllier

I guess he would have been a similar age to Rubin now

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Heard a conversation between two presenters on Radio 5 and their tennis expert on my car radio this morning about the twenty one year British player Dan Draper, the tennis expert said Draper had a growth spurt and one of the presenters said straight away “you don’t get those when you’re twenty one!”. The tennis expert clarified that Draper was seventeen at the time and confirmed that he’d been told by the medics that growth spurts were indeed a late teenage thing and you don’t get them at twenty one.

How little they know! They obviously haven’t been paying attention to Cardiff City - has our soon to be 21 year old Welsh international had another one I wonder as he’s not been in the squad for our last two games.
    Rubin's currently 6ft 8" and it's predicted he'll hit the 7ft mark before his 22nd birthday. All being well he'll overtake Robert Pershing Wadlow as the tallest human being that's ever lived in the not too distant future. The thought of working with such a monstrously huge individual is thought to have been an overriding factor for Neil Warnock, who has reversed his retirement plans and is expected to be announced as Cardiff City's manager sometime today.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    from an article about Stephen Gerrard

I guess he would have been a similar age to Rubin now
    Young players having back problems is hardly a new or unique thing, I've no idea why some of our fans find it so ridiculous

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Young players having back problems is hardly a new or unique thing, I've no idea why some of our fans find it so ridiculous
    Watching Colwill against Blackburn it looked like he's had an all round 'growth spurt'. He's a lump. However much football ability he may have, he's never going to be quick enough for Championship football.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Watching Colwill against Blackburn it looked like he's had an all round 'growth spurt'. He's a lump. However much football ability he may have, he's never going to be quick enough for Championship football.
    He just needs to get a little quicker and he'll be fast enough. He can beat a man with ease, he just needs to beat them and deliver a pass, or get the wrong side and you can't touch him. He doesn't have to be rapid. He's also 20. He's got loads of development to go. Whenever he plays, all our creativity gets pinned on him because there is nothing in the midfield. Ralls, Wintle and Rino aren't going to open up sides. Colwill is also a lot more mobile than Sawyers.

I think the niggles etc are true but it is a definite concern he can't break into this side with the midfield as poor as it is. Perhaps they are too concerned with his inability to defend as we are so impotent going forwards, we have to keep a clean sheet; or they just don't think he is good enough. Getting the vote of confidence from Page has certainly taken a bit in terms of credibility recently...

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    Rubin's currently 6ft 8" and it's predicted he'll hit the 7ft mark before his 22nd birthday. All being well he'll overtake Robert Pershing Wadlow as the tallest human being that's ever lived in the not too distant future. The thought of working with such a monstrously huge individual is thought to have been an overriding factor for Neil Warnock, who has reversed his retirement plans and is expected to be announced as Cardiff City's manager sometime today.
    Very good

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    He just needs to get a little quicker and he'll be fast enough. He can beat a man with ease, he just needs to beat them and deliver a pass, or get the wrong side and you can't touch him. He doesn't have to be rapid. He's also 20. He's got loads of development to go. Whenever he plays, all our creativity gets pinned on him because there is nothing in the midfield. Ralls, Wintle and Rino aren't going to open up sides. Colwill is also a lot more mobile than Sawyers.

I think the niggles etc are true but it is a definite concern he can't break into this side with the midfield as poor as it is. Perhaps they are too concerned with his inability to defend as we are so impotent going forwards, we have to keep a clean sheet; or they just don't think he is good enough. Getting the vote of confidence from Page has certainly taken a bit in terms of credibility recently...
    one thing Hudson was talking about recently is the psychological effect of not being able to trust your body 100% after an injury, once he's got over that he'll be able to push himself more and perhaps appear a bit more mobile

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post

When fit he also needs a run of games and someone to have that confidence in him rather than giving him bits and pieces and expecting magic from him - which if I think about it is a huge contradiction