+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else happy with Tan?

Re: Anyone else happy with Tan?

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Wasn’t he handed the franchise for Macdonalds in Malaysia? Like a licence to print money…..
    Given how high he can hoist his trousers, I dare say he hasn't got a couple of quarter pounders swinging away down below....

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Can some take a stab at a guess as to why Tan is still interested in the club? It baffles me completely.
    I can certainly see why Dalman's firm with their virtually guaranteed return on their investment are interested.

I wouldn't use the word happy but I'm not against him.

I'd assume most people are in the same boat.

All the hate stems from a few poor managerial choices (and as such player recruitment), but ones many on here agreed with at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardiff-Cal View Post
    I can’t say I’m as up to speed with all the goings on with the club as I used to be, but for me the problem seems to be Dalman and Choo and how the club is ran, rather then Tans ownership?
    You're apparently missing the fact that Mehmet Dalman was brought into the club more than a decade ago by Vincent Tan and elevated to the position of Chairman by Tan, while Ken Choo is merely one of Tan's stooges - an employee who does what he's told.

Make no mistake, it's Tan who controls CCFC, not his subordinates.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    All the hate stems from a few poor managerial choices (and as such player recruitment), but ones many on here agreed with at the time.
    Yeah, that's all it is....

Sala transfer. Why did Tan say yes to Warnock when the transfer committee had aleady opposed it. Biggest mistake in the history of CCFC ?

Quote Originally Posted by Cardiff-Cal View Post
    A lot of fans would be jealous of our “crises”

Are you sure you want to roll the dice on another owner? Better the devil you know.

There should be Dalman out banners is my point.
    I can't imagine one set of fans would be jealous of our change of colour from blue to red, I went along with it but when questioned by anyone you just had to agree, it was ridiculous and caused so much harm to the club.
    The Sala case has been another stick to beat us with and could have been handled so much better.
    Add in a total lack of communication with the fans and putting a car salesman and a bean counter in charge of the club yer I guess there's rivers of jealousy up and down the country.

From Tan's point of view I believe it's a lack of trust in football people to protect his investment in the club that's the issue. Having had his fingers burnt by some poor expensive purchases by Malky and Warnock, he is probably reluctant to employ a DoF/Advisor, believing incorrectly that he can steer the club in the right direction without any outside 'interference'.

It is surprising though that he hasn't looked at the success of teams like Brighton and Brentford and tried to emulate the planning that has gone into making them the thriving clubs they are today.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    Sala transfer. Why did Tan say yes to Warnock when the transfer committee had aleady opposed it. Biggest mistake in the history of CCFC ?
    So Tan backed the manager but gets criticised for it?

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    2 promotions?
    Followed by immediate relegations.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    From Tan's point of view I believe it's a lack of trust in football people to protect his investment in the club that's the issue. Having had his fingers burnt by some poor expensive purchases by Malky and Warnock, he is probably reluctant to employ a DoF/Advisor, believing incorrectly that he can steer the club in the right direction without any outside 'interference'.

It is surprising though that he hasn't looked at the success of teams like Brighton and Brentford and tried to emulate the planning that has gone into making them the thriving clubs they are today.
    Hasn't he just built a new complex to try and bring through more academy players?

I'm baffled there seems to be people who still want to support him.

I can't get into this "better the Devil you know" argument. That throws any ambition out of the window and I actually think it's a form of Stockholm syndrome.

I'm not a regular watcher of The Apprentice but the one thing that strikes home whenever a task fails is usually a lack of preparation or research into it. It's usually fatal when candidates on there think they know what they're doing based on gut instinct or misguided belief.

Tan bought us without knowing a single thing about owning a football club. He's got a board that knows nothing about football. Has he, at any stage, looked at how other successful clubs operate? I doubt it.

Managers always seem to rate Dalman highly, but I wonder if that's down to Dalman not having a scooby doo and gives managers some sort of free reign, as much as Tan will allow, anyway?

So Tan backed the manager but gets criticised for it?
    I'm not sure why Tan gets criticism for the signing. I can see why he is criticised for how they've dealt with it after.

Warnock was simply asking for a striker he thought might help keep us up. Nobody was to know what was to come.

Quote Originally Posted by sneggyblubird View Post
    The trouble with the anti-Tan argument is that no-one seems to be able to spell out a credible alternative. If there was a viable one that everyone could see and judge for themselves this anti Tan movement might get some traction. Just ifs, buts and maybe's at the moment.
    Any promotion to the PL was a mere pipedream before Tan’s funding (Yes we were close when he joined but likely to go to the wall let’s be honest). Any anti Tan sentiment never comes with a solution. Who else is interested in investment ?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    Any promotion to the PL was a mere pipedream before Tan’s funding (Yes we were close when he joined but likely to go to the wall let’s be honest). Any anti Tan sentiment never comes with a solution. Who else is interested in investment ?
    It does come with a solution. Shape up or actively look to sell the club. People will buy a club with potential at the right price.

If he doesn't have a serious rethink then we may be in a worse place than before he arrived very soon.
    The argument that all debts are payable to him isn't rhe case anymore either. If Dalman's firm and the like now want their pound of flesh they can and will.

Quote Originally Posted by Undercoverinwurzelland View Post
    A lot of our problems could be solved if he put decent people in charge to run the club for him, without the need for him to walk away. He's showing no signs of doing that though.
    We need a club strategy an identity and something like a Director of Football (on the Board and reporting direct to the owner) who can plan, recruit, oversee the full age and gender range of club teams - especially the work of the Academy - and ensure that there is continuity and progression whenever a manager leaves (is poached by a Premier League club for eye-watering compensation).

There were a couple of times when Tan seemed open to that approach - when Glenn Roeder came in as an advisor and when Slade was given that Head of Football (?) title after he was sacked. Neither lasted long and the Slade one looked like a ‘soften the blow’ non job - although maybe he could have made something of it if he hadn’t left for another go at management?

Is Tan’s mam still around to nudge him in the right direction?

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    2 promotions?
    12 consecutive years in the Championship or above under his ownership, mostly competing at the top end. Plus all the charitable work he has done in the area, including setting up the Cardiff City foundation, raising millions of pounds in the process.

A cabal of about 20-25 people on this board who hate Tan (and always have) is hardly representative of our fan base either. Most people would have more common sense than that.

Tan must be a brilliant business man otherwise he wouldn’t have been so successful. Inspired management choices are likely to have been made by him in his commercial life away from football.

Why doesn’t he learn from his mistakes at Cardiff City - he must have the intelligence to do just this? It is galling this seems not to be the case.

Without his money we would have really struggled- I don’t see anyone else offering £3 million per month to keep us afloat. So far from perfect, reluctantly I am luke warm happy with Tan as we seemingly have no other choice.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    A cabal of about 20-25 people on this board who hate Tan (and always have) is hardly representative of our fan base either. Most people would have more common sense than that.
    A lot of people who hated Tan left when we turned red and haven’t come back ( there was a whole row of season ticket holders behind me who cancelled en masse and very few have returned since). I rarely attended a game in red but came back when we returned to blue. Maybe it’s my age but I’m convinced a little bit of passion for our club died in all of us when he went through with that monstrosity of a decision , even if you carried on going to games, it’s never been the same since. The promotion under Warnock was good but nowhere near the levels of passion I saw for the club in the Dave Jones era and before

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    And he is paying for that now, no wonder Warnocks not coming back, Tan would probably rather us go down

Didn’t someone post on here the other day that Brighton are £450 million in debt? I don’t know if that’s actually true as they don’t spend big, in fact I think there team cost less than £50 million, and they sell big also…..

Hasn't he just built a new complex to try and bring through more academy players?
    That's not really the point. We still do not have the planning and recruitment structure in place to help drive the club forward.