+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Whitehead's team?

Whitehead's team?

"The board said to me that Saturday is really, really important, so we picked the team (against Leeds) for that reason, and our focus now is purely on Millwall and getting a positive result against them."

Source: https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...earch-26015626

I wonder who the we were.

Re: Whitehead's team?

I hope he replied "Do you think that I don't know that it's important? I don't need you to tell me and I will pick the team, not "we"".

Regional slang maybe.

Coaching team probably.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Regional slang maybe.

Coaching team probably.
    Maybe, I wonder.

We could have put out our 'strongest' 11 against Leeds and would still have been beaten, so makes sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    Maybe, I wonder.
    It'll be the coaching team. Calm down.

I imagine he's been told, don't play anyone who will play against Millwall though.

Quote Originally Posted by NottinghamBlue View Post
    "The board said to me that Saturday is really, really important, so we picked the team (against Leeds) for that reason, and our focus now is purely on Millwall and getting a positive result against them."

Yes...I picked up on that and wondered the same thing.....

Quote Originally Posted by NottinghamBlue View Post

There's nothing in this. He simply meant he and Tom Ramasut and the coaching staff. I just hope that the starting XI last night means that Perry Ng and Callum O'Dowda will be playing as full backs on Saturday, and that Mark McGuinness will be slotting straight into defence.

Contrary to many others it seems, I just did not see anything in Rubin Colwill's performance in the first half yesterday to suggest he should be starting on Saturday. I've not yet bought into the hype and I don't see that he's the first name in the team sheet. Has anything been said in the press about why he was substituted at half time?

It crosse3d my mind as well, but I'm sure he meant the coaching staff.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    It'll be the coaching team. Calm down.

I imagine he's been told, don't play anyone who will play against Millwall though.
    I'm calm, I'm calm; I've just taken my Diazepam.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Bosch View Post
    There's nothing in this. He simply meant he and Tom Ramasut and the coaching staff. I just hope that the starting XI last night means that Perry Ng and Callum O'Dowda will be playing as full backs on Saturday, and that Mark McGuinness will be slotting straight into defence.

Contrary to many others it seems, I just did not see anything in Rubin Colwill's performance in the first half yesterday to suggest he should be starting on Saturday. I've not yet bought into the hype and I don't see that he's the first name in the team sheet. Has anything been said in the press about why he was substituted at half time?
    probably subbed because he'll be on the bench on Saturday.

I've not seen anyone saying he should be the first name on the team sheet, where are people getting this from?

He probably did mean the coaching team, but he really doesn't need the board to tell him that Saturdays game is important

I don't know why we don't just all the players in a line and let the Captain pick out 11?
    That way Alsopp can have a run out up front as he's always in goal, play Nelson and Simpson on the wings, because they want a turn to play up front

Rubin and Issac can play at the back and everyone gets a half as it's only fair!

We may as well go the whole hog and act like it's an under 12s team kick about if were not taking it seriously.

Forgot to add, 3 players should be arguing with each other about taking the pen as well, one of them can walk off sulking and the other two can wrestle with the ball until one of the mums shouts out hurry up or I'm off home without you.

Just a slip of the tongue surely. Instead of ‘we’ he meant ‘Vincent’

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    He probably did mean the coaching team, but he really doesn't need the board to tell him that Saturdays game is important
    should there ever be a match which is not important to a professional football club?

He doesn’t but I’m sure the board understand the league is much more important than the cup. It might’ve been just a gentle request not to play the first XI and tell them to go all out just to get a good result in his first game.

Which is fair enough I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    should there ever be a match which is not important to a professional football club?
    I was thinking that as I wrote the post.
    May be we should ask Vinnie, Mehmet and Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post

I've not seen anyone saying he should be the first name on the team sheet, where are people getting this from?
    Colwill is in danger of acquiring the nickname "tampon" - in for one week and then out for the next three

I think he means it was so important that last night does not matter. Which is probably why Sang, Bagan, Simpson and Sawyers stayed on as they've got no chance of being involved on the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody's Rep View Post
    Colwill is in danger of acquiring the nickname "tampon" - in for one week and then out for the next three
    At least they serve a purpose. I might call Jack Simpson the chocolate fireguard.

Just for a bit of fun I googled "what makes a successful football manager".

VT...can you please do the same and take note.....!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post

I'm surprised at you here. There have been a number of posters saying we should be building a team around Colwill, especially around the time Morison was in charge. I'm sure it was you that was pointing out Morison had given him more 90 minutes than any other manager he'd had, which is probably true. I've said before on here that when Colwill was in the Academy squad that won the league he only started 12 games that season and was subbed in 10 of them. Bellamy said a while back that he's very talented and he would have played him more but he had to protect him because of his growth spurts. Plus ca change.

I enjoy the threads about him. He divides opinion and it's going to be interesting to see how things pan out for him from here.