+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Probably a question for a plumber

First Team

Probably a question for a plumber

OK I have been looking for a wifi central heating controller that I can then use to control my central heating from afar. Not a combined thermostat/controller (like a Nest) just a controller. Does such a thing exist? I've Googled extensively and can't find one.

Thanks in advance for any sensible or ridiculously funny answers.

Re: Probably a question for a plumber

Central heating? Not a fan.

Our boiler is 50 years old and doesn't even have a thermostat, I managed to bring it into the modern age (ish) and save a fortune by using a smart plug on the old (broken) clockwork wall timer box.

We can now turn it on and off remotely and set schedules.

First Team

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Central heating? Not a fan.
    I have two controllers that control 4 separate systems: hot water, underfloor downstairs CH, upstairs CH and radiators in the bathrooms. They are controlling an air source heat pump. Hopefully that helps. The airsource is a Grant system.

Quote Originally Posted by az city View Post
    I have two controllers that control 4 separate systems: hot water, underfloor downstairs CH, upstairs CH and radiators in the bathrooms. They are controlling an air source heat pump. Hopefully that helps. The airsource is a Grant system.
    'Twas meant to be a witticism but never mind

Those air source heat pumps, run off Electricity?

First Team

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Those air source heat pumps, run off Electricity?
    They do. It was pretty inexpensive over Christmas - around GBP 6-7 a day and I had it at 74-75F. Getting used to how to use it effectively is a bit of a bugger though.

OK I have been looking for a wifi central heating controller that I can then use to control my central heating from afar. Not a combined thermostat/controller (like a Nest) just a controller. Does such a thing exist? I've Googled extensively and can't find one.

Thanks in advance for any sensible or ridiculously funny answers.
    why not use Nest or equivalent ? ? ?

They do. It was pretty inexpensive over Christmas - around GBP 6-7 a day and I had it at 74-75F. Getting used to how to use it effectively is a bit of a bugger though.
    I have a couple of Air Source Heat Pumps which are fairly inexpensive to run, and still work when the outside temp is -4C 25 F. About £800 for the pair for a DIY fit. They have a COP of about 2.4 when the temp drops below 0 C, so 1 Kw in gives 2.4 Kw of heating.

First Team

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    why not use Nest or equivalent ? ? ?
    All the individual rooms have wifi thermostats connected to a Heatmiser hub so it's not viable.

First Team

Quote Originally Posted by ZZ Jack View Post
    I have a couple of Air Source Heat Pumps which are fairly inexpensive to run, and still work when the outside temp is -4C 25 F. About £800 for the pair for a DIY fit. They have a COP of about 2.4 when the temp drops below 0 C, so 1 Kw in gives 2.4 Kw of heating.
    Yeah I have been surprised at how cheap they are to run. Getting used to planning when you want to draw the energy has been anpther thing. It took me two weeks at Christmas to get the system set up. It also took the house a long time to get warm initially and running the heat pump continually seemed scary at first.

Yeah I have been surprised at how cheap they are to run. Getting used to planning when you want to draw the energy has been anpther thing. It took me two weeks at Christmas to get the system set up. It also took the house a long time to get warm initially and running the heat pump continually seemed scary at first.
    I'm surprised it gets that cold in Phoenix. But then, I've only been there in the summer, when the heat pumps work the other way round.