+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Australian Open Tennis

Australian Open Tennis

Andy Murray has just gone into a 5th set in his second round match. They've been on court for nearly 5 hours.

Ignoring his incredible stamina and recovery after his hip operation, and playing 5 sets in the first round, what on earth are they doing playing at 3am local time?

Re: Australian Open Tennis

What a man!

From two sets down, wins final set 7-5 👏 👏

End of thread.

I hope

...not quite....that's the difference between him and Emma Raducanu....she is all show and no substance...however desirable and good looking she may be....!!

Interviewer: "..how did you manage that?"
    AM: "I have a big heart"
    Interviewer: "you had a big everything out there tonight" (...crowd s******s)
    AM: "well my wife would disagree"
    (Guffaws...)

[Sorry ITK )

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Swan View Post
    ...not quite....that's the difference between him and Emma Raducanu....she is all show and no substance...however desirable and good looking she may be....!!
    Hmm. Not sure about that Mo.
    To even get to compete on the professional circuit, let alone win a grand slam tournament, you have to have something more than just talent.

She won one tournament....lived off it and milked it ever since.....I would really love her to move to the next level but it does not seem likely....

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    What a man!

From two sets down, wins final set 7-5 👏 👏
    Apparently it is the 11th time he has come back from 2 sets down!!

The most in the modern era beating Federers 10

Also has now come back to win from two sets down in all four grand slams

My elderly mother absolutely Loves tennis and adores Andy Murray. I popped up to see her earlier and she could hardly be bothered to talk to me whilst the game was going on. Got home about an hour ago and decided to turned over to see how he was getting on. He just won. I sent her a text with 3 hand clap emojis and a tennis ball. She text me back calling me a stupid b@@@@@d as she’d put the TV on still pause whilst she popped to the loo and made a cuppa and was only half way through the final set

I always had a lot of respect for Andy Murray, but I’ve even more of it for the metal hip version. Incredible stuff by him - I was switching on the radio every half an hour or so throughout the afternoon to check how it was going and three or four times he seemed on the brink of defeat, but, once he’d got a foothold in the game, there was always the chance he could turn it around because he’s done it so often before.

Quote Originally Posted by ninian opinian View Post
    My elderly mother absolutely Loves tennis and adores Andy Murray. I popped up to see her earlier and she could hardly be bothered to talk to me whilst the game was going on. Got home about an hour ago and decided to turned over to see how he was getting on. He just won. I sent her a text with 3 hand clap emojis and a tennis ball. She text me back calling me a stupid b@@@@@d as she’d put the TV on still pause whilst she popped to the loo and made a cuppa and was only half way through the final set

She won one tournament....lived off it and milked it ever since.....I would really love her to move to the next level but it does not seem likely....
    Blimey Maurice she is only 20.

Why doesn't it seem likely to move to the next level????

There seem to have been mistakes made with her coaching team and her fitness regime seems to need sorting out,but as evidenced from her performance in the latter stages of her match against Gauff,she has the skill set.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I always had a lot of respect for Andy Murray, but I’ve even more of it for the metal hip version. Incredible stuff by him - I was switching on the radio every half an hour or so throughout the afternoon to check how it was going and three or four times he seemed on the brink of defeat, but, once he’d got a foothold in the game, there was always the chance he could turn it around because he’s done it so often before.
    As I said Bob 11 times back from 2-0 down

Weird, uncalled for attack on a young Grand Slam winning player.

Quote Originally Posted by ninian opinian View Post

We've all done similar in some shape or form.

I take it you're now out of the will

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    Apparently it is the 11th time he has come back from 2 sets down!!

The most in the modern era beating Federers 10

Also has now come back to win from two sets down in all four grand slams
    He really does have the heart of a lion.

Can't see him progressing much after two gruelling five setters mind you.

This latest match was 5hrs 40 odd minutes!

One hell of an athlete it has to be said.

Back in 2008 he was on Soccer AM with us on F A Cup final morning. To be honest he was quite dour/miserable but that generally seems to be his demeanour. He did say to us at the end though that he he hoped we’d win on the basis of anyone other than England. You never know though he may have said the opposite to the Pompey fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Shot Hamish. View Post
    One hell of an athlete it has to be said.

Back in 2008 he was on Soccer AM with us on F A Cup final morning. To be honest he was quite dour/miserable but that generally seems to be his demeanour. He did say to us at the end though that he he hoped we’d win on the basis of anyone other than England. You never know though he may have said the opposite to the Pompey fans.
    I bet he meant every word.
    He's been openly vocal about being staunchly Scots (to the point of giving the impression of being anti-English) in the past.

One of the great British () sportsmen of our time no question.

A proper winner.
    Last edited by MacAdder; 19-01-23 at 18:23. Reason: Grammar

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    As I said Bob 11 times back from 2-0 down
    And the knives will be out when he loses. That’s the problem in this country.

what do you mean milked it ever since? she's still competing on the women's tour, I'm sure she would love to win more major titles but it isn't easy

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    I doubt it tbh

You dirty old get

I don't fancy her

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    No chance, not in his case.

His comeback after an horrendous injury has been long and many athletes would have called it a day.
    As has been said, he is a fighter, wears his heart on his sleeve and the British public love him.

What a testament to his desire to compete at the highest level , it was exhausting watching him . Incredible athlete and mental strength , some of our professional footballers could learn a thing or two from him . Seems like an all round good bloke too