+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Something optimistic for a change?

Something optimistic for a change?

Whitehead seems to think that we are close to signing a number 9.
    Could this be Hugill?

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...-city-26039777

Interim boss Dean Whitehead admitted Cardiff City need help in the transfer market to get themselves out of a precarious position in the Championship and revealed the Bluebirds are close to signing a striker.

Cardiff were once again lacking an end product against Millwall, to whom they lost 1-0 to consign them to an 11-game winless run, after controlling vast portions of the game but without overly troubling the Lions goal.

The Bluebirds, sitting in 21st just three points above Huddersfield Town who have two games in hand, are the lowest-scoring team in the division, having netted five times fewer than the next lowest scorers Preston North End, and it is no secret they need additions in this window. Whitehead concurs.

"Confidence comes from winning games. And at the moment, we're not doing that," Whitehead said. "That's our job to change that.

"But you know, ultimately, the squad needs help. We need help. We need players in to freshen up the squad. And if we can do that, then we will. If it's possible.

"I'm part of (the transfer process) until people tell me I'm not. We're looking at players, we're looking at people to bring to the football club and it's an ongoing process.

"We're very close on one and got a couple of other things that we're looking at."

Asked what position the club was close to signing, Whitehead replied: "A number nine."

"We want to try and get strikers on the pitch and in the building, so that's our priority at the moment. To get people in who can score goals."

The Millwall loss was Whitehead's second game in charge following a 5-2 FA Cup defeat at Elland Road in midweek.

When asked what the latest was regarding his communication with the board, Whitehead replied: "The latest one was last night that you know, prepare the team, make sure you do everything you can, which we have, and hopefully try and get some points and unfortunately we didn't, so that's as much as I can give you."

The interim boss said he could not give any more information on when a manager might be appointed, however it would seem logical for the club to make that call sooner rather than later, with the end of the transfer window getting closer and two weeks until the club's next game.

On the defeat by Millwall itself, Whitehead said: “It’s probably a game that typifies our season really, a lot of good play and get in good areas and the final pass, the final cross or final finish has just not been there.

“Ced [Kipre] has been colossal for us all season and that lapse in concentration has cost us and it’s changed the game because Millwall can then sit behind the ball and counter-attack, so it was difficult to take in the end."

Re: Something optimistic for a change?

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    Whitehead seems to think that we are close to signing a number 9.
    Could this be Hugill?

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...-city-26039777
    It is but yet it’s so frustrating that a manager could and should be in place to over see this process. It’s all so backwards.

Connor Wickham is available on a free

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    Connor Wickham is available on a free
    That’s the name being mentioned a lot on social media.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    That’s the name being mentioned a lot on social media.
    Did decently for a struggling Forest Green so wouldn't be the worst signing, it's not very inspiring but we are beggars at this point.

Perhaps not so optimistic, after all...

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    It is but yet it’s so frustrating that a manager could and should be in place to over see this process. It’s all so backwards.
    Previous managers assistant helping bring in players with little of the window left.

Previous manager overseeing players leave on loan days before he is sacked.

It's all starting to point to us not actually looking at anyone again and our strategy is basically day to day see how it goes. Week to week would look long term to this lot.

Odd.

While I hope whoever it is can make an impact I’ve got to agree dragging your heels to appoint a manager and bringing in players they might not even want is bizarre

We are crying out for a decent number 9

Bristol City are getting shot of Chris Martin. We seem to have first refusal on anyone leaving Ashton Gate.

Hughill would be good but the other two mentioned are nowhere near good enough to keep us up

Quote Originally Posted by Grangenders View Post
    Hughill would be good but the other two mentioned are nowhere near good enough to keep us up
    I think you're right

Quote Originally Posted by Grangenders View Post
    If we had a fit Hugill for the season and got an actual manager in or even brought Morison back id be confident we would stay up.

Never mind Hugill, appoint and slip a decent manager £15k-£20k a week instead of paying him that dough.

Quote Originally Posted by Undercoverinwurzelland View Post
    I think you're right
    No prizes for guessing which one we get

Quote Originally Posted by superfeathers View Post
    No prizes for guessing which one we get
    Clutching at straws springs to mind

I would say players are more important than a manager appointment at the moment, due to the short period left to get them in. Hugill would be great.

We watched Colwill warming up, from around the 60th minute, all of us picking a time from the 80th minute onwards, from when he would get on.

If Whitehead thought we were going to improve by leaving Philogene and Ojo on, then I'd say it's far more important to get a decent manager in, who would know how to change a game than more players who will be guided by this clown

Quote Originally Posted by olderblue View Post
    We watched Colwill warming up, from around the 60th minute, all of us picking a time from the 80th minute onwards, from when he would get on.

If Whitehead thought we were going to improve by leaving Philogene and Ojo on, then I'd say it's far more important to get a decent manager in, who would know how to change a game than more players who will be guided by this clown
    Ojo/Philogene were at least getting some joy down the right. Unfortunately O'Dowda hasn't the pace, nor the ability to put in a decent cross on the rare occasions he does get the chance..

Quote Originally Posted by olderblue View Post

Thing is if colwill is out wide I'd much rather ojo and philogene and that's saying something.

I don't see why though he wasn't thrown on when we need a goal, take a defender off, whatever just go for it.