+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Lamouchi and Bamba....

Re: Lamouchi and Bamba....

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Good point.
    In all seriousness though, how many hours do we dedicate towards that shower of shit of a club? And why?

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post
    I assumed people were excited because he was French.
    French Tunisian, Tunisia is almost in Morocco, and they did well in the World Cup, so i can see the clubs thinking on this one, and France got to the Final.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I'm just a bit puzzled by the enthusiasm of some. You have a few people who post here regularly who give the impression that they know anything and everything there is to know about other teams, their players and managers. I'm certainly not one of those, I have to do a bit of research. But what I do remember about Lamouchi's Forest side is that they weren't exactly thrilling to watch and they didn't score many goals. And, of course, I remember their incredible end-of-season belly-flop.

I also remember Forest were hopeless at the start of the following season and that City were one of the sides who beat them before Lamouchi was sacked. Therefore, I'm a little surprised at the apparent excitement regarding this appointment.

He certainly seems to have brought about an improvement in both Rennes and Forest in the short-term, and City badly need something like that to happen. However, his record suggests the effect didn't last long at either club.
    Compared to our last few managers this guy is the messiah.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    French Tunisian, Tunisia is almost in Morocco, and they did well in the World Cup, so i can see the clubs thinking on this one, and France got to the Final.
    And we owe ten extra large ones to a French club.

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    Compared to our last few managers this guy is the messiah.
    I could make some jokes about the Morison worshippers, but I'll refrain.

I could make some jokes about the Morison worshippers, but I'll refrain.

That’s not like you haha.

Loved a bit of Mozza me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    In all seriousness though, how many hours do we dedicate towards that shower of shit of a club? And why?
    I guess in in our DNA. It's Cardiff. We're Cardiff. We don't support Liverpool, Man U, Chelsea or Arsenal. We're not used to highs. Back in the day a fancy cup draw would be exciting. It's like the Mafia, once you're in, you're in. It's still stupid though. Maybe the fact that it diverts from everything else is a good thing. Who knows? I don't know you, I don't your name but I feel like you're a mate. That's a positive. I used to see people on the Bob Bank and then sometimes I'd see them in "real life" and we'd nod. It's like that.

I guess in in our DNA. It's Cardiff. We're Cardiff. We don't support Liverpool, Man U, Chelsea or Arsenal. We're not used to highs. Back in the day a fancy cup draw would be exciting. It's like the Mafia, once you're in, you're in. It's still stupid though. Maybe the fact that it diverts from everything else is a good thing. Who knows? I don't know you, I don't your name but I feel like you're a mate. That's a positive. I used to see people on the Bob Bank and then sometimes I'd see them in "real life" and we'd nod. It's like that.
    I like this post. Got me all emotional

At start of each season, I buy the Racing Post's annual Big Kick-Off betting guide, and I keep them as it's always amusing to look back and see what the bookies got right and what they didn't. I think the following is interesting regarding Lamouchi at Forest. It's from the Post's Championship previews for 2019/20 and 2020/21.

In 2019/20, the Post's tipster fancied Forest for promotion, which was a 7/1 chance. He predicted they'd finish fourth and wrote:

"The battle for play-off places will be as intense as ever and Nottingham Forest could be major players if their new manager Sabri Lamouchi can get the best out of a talented squad. Since Greek shipping magnate Angelos Marinakis bought the club two years ago there has been a lot of investment, but high expectations have not been met and the football has often been too cautious.

"Nevertheless, last season's points tally of 66 was 13 better than the previous season and there is scope for further improvement under Lamouchi. He is new to English football but seems to know what he wants. Crucially, he has inherited some strong offensive players such as Joao Carvalho, Joe Lolley and Lewis Grabban. Getting the best out of them will be key, but Forest are likely to play a more positive brand of football and it may help them bridge the gap to the top six."

The same tipster predicted they'd finish 7th in 2020/21. His pre-season write-up said:

"Missing out on the play-offs was a massive disappointment for Forest, who spent much of the 2019/20 campaign pushing for a top-two finish. However, they were overly defensive at times and their 58-goal tally was the second lowest of the division's top 15 clubs. Adding Lyle Taylor to the squad might help in that regard, but they look likely to fall short again."
    Hmm, very amusing yes.

So this will be hilarious if he doesn’t end up coming.

It is totally illogical.

I'm sure you're not the only one who has thought how many days they've spent watching City and thought how they could have used it more productively. I wouldn't change it though. Memories to last a lifetime and hopefully more to come. Some of the really $hit times are almost as memorable as the good times and usually funnier.

I'm sure I'm not the only one where City has been one of the only constants in life during bad times. A place where the City is the norm while the rest of your life is upside down helps, even when we're crap.

I got nothing against Tan personally. In much the same way if some new bloke took over your favourite restaurant or pub and started serving shite and trying crap new ideas would get flack he is doing it here but a football club is your football club. You can't go to the next pub or restaurant.

Really? In 2018/19 under Karanka and then O'Neill, Forest finished 9th in the Championship on 66 points. In 2019/20 under Lamouchi, they finished 7th on 70 points. Hardly an earth-shattering improvement. They were bottom of the table on zero points after four games (and had been knocked out of the League Cup) when he was sacked in October 2020, having scored just one goal in five matches.

To be honest, I'm a bit non-plussed by the reaction to this appointment (if it happens). It's a major relief that Whitehead isn't going to lead the team for the rest of the season as he looks like a rabbit in the headlights, but this guy hardly has what could be described as an impressive record at club level. Who knows, he may do well here and I hope he does after the garbage we've witnessed in recent seasons, but there's nothing on his CV that makes me confident he will.
    "Lamouchi had guided Forest to their highest league position since the 2010–11 season, and also became the first Forest manager to complete a full season in over nine years."

First manager to complete a season in over nine years. That's a mess. Like dembe said you can be a mess and still win games. We finished 8th in 20/21 under Mick, does that mean we weren't a mess?

Good one

So is it official?
    Will be confirmed tomorrow apparently

A win and a draw in Forest's 2 local derbies (against Derby) when he was in charge of them. We need a manager who can win local derbies.

real life

Quote Originally Posted by Undercoverinwurzelland View Post
    A win and a draw in Forest's 2 local derbies (against Derby) when he was in charge of them. We need a manager who can win local derbies.
    Win local derbies? Now you're being ridiculous!

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    This was effectively reported as a done deal on the Welsh news, so fingers crossed.

Wonder why not confirmed, maybe they’re waiting for the insurance company to open in the morning to double check

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    For quite a while from the playoff win in 2003 Bristol City just couldn’t beat us, didn’t we put 6 past them once? Not so great of late mind

I'm just a bit puzzled by the enthusiasm of some. You have a few people who post here regularly who give the impression that they know anything and everything there is to know about other teams, their players and managers. I'm certainly not one of those, I have to do a bit of research. But what I do remember about Lamouchi's Forest side is that they weren't exactly thrilling to watch and they didn't score many goals. And, of course, I remember their incredible end-of-season belly-flop.

I also remember Forest were hopeless at the start of the following season and that City were one of the sides who beat them before Lamouchi was sacked. Therefore, I'm a little surprised at the apparent excitement regarding this appointment.

He certainly seems to have brought about an improvement in both Rennes and Forest in the short-term, and City badly need something like that to happen. However, his record suggests the effect didn't last long at either club.
    It’s normally a good indicator of a manager in what a previous set of fans think and Forest fans seem pretty unanimous in holding a very positive opinion of him which is a big plus. Common take seems to be their season came to a stop with the covid break and couldn’t get going again after whilst behind closed doors. Not an unusual story and pretty encouraging on the whole.

I don’t think anyone thinks we have secured the next Pep but with the previous few managers, some of the names being chucked around over the last week and the betting list, I think people are entitled to feel optimistic it will be a good move

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    First manager to complete a season in over nine years. That's a mess. Like dembe said you can be a mess and still win games. We finished 8th in 20/21 under Mick, does that mean we weren't a mess?
    OK, so I'll concede that Forest were in a mess before Lamouchi arrived.

You said: "Forest were a real mess before he turned up, I think I read he was the first manager to last a full season there in 9 years? It all went wrong at the end but he clearly did a good job."

So what sort of a state do you reckon Forest were in when Lamouchi left Forest after 16 months in the job?

Lovely

Quote Originally Posted by SunderlandBluebird View Post
    It’s normally a good indicator of a manager in what a previous set of fans think and Forest fans seem pretty unanimous in holding a very positive opinion of him which is a big plus. Common take seems to be their season came to a stop with the covid break and couldn’t get going again after whilst behind closed doors. Not an unusual story and pretty encouraging on the whole.

I don’t think anyone thinks we have secured the next Pep but with the previous few managers, some of the names being chucked around over the last week and the betting list, I think people are entitled to feel optimistic it will be a good move
    Interesting to look at the table on the last weekend before the Covid shutdown in March 2020, and the final table.

March 2020:

1 - Leeds Utd
    2 - West Brom
    3 - Fulham
    4 - Brentford
    5 - Forest
    6 - Preston
    7 - Bristol City
    8 - Millwall
    9 - Cardiff
    10 - Blackburn

Final table:

1 - Leeds Utd
    2 - West Brom
    3 - Brentford
    4 - Fulham
    5 - Cardiff
    6 - Swansea
    7 - Forest
    8 - Millwall
    9 - Preston
    10 - Derby

Perhaps we should bring that Neil Harris fella back. He knew the time of day.

Interesting to look at the table on the last weekend before the Covid shutdown in March 2020, and the final table.

March 2020:

1 - Leeds Utd
    2 - West Brom
    3 - Fulham
    4 - Brentford
    5 - Forest
    6 - Preston
    7 - Bristol City
    8 - Millwall
    9 - Cardiff
    10 - Blackburn

Final table:

1 - Leeds Utd
    2 - West Brom
    3 - Brentford
    4 - Fulham
    5 - Cardiff
    6 - Swansea
    7 - Forest
    8 - Millwall
    9 - Preston
    10 - Derby

Perhaps we should bring that Neil Harris fella back. He knew the time of day.

You seem to be joking but he was actually our manager then and it was his team who achieved that run to the play offs. Now we are celebrating because the new guy might take us to 19th or 18th.
    Last edited by Dave Blue; 26-01-23 at 23:38. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    You seem to be joking but he was actually our manager then and it was his team who achieved that run to the play offs. Now we are celebrating because the new guy might take us to 19th or 18th.
    I was only joking because some on here seemed to despise Harris. I thought he did a decent enough job in his first season, got the team playing, got some decent results and made some reasonable signings at the end of that season, but then struggled. He never seemed a comfortable fit here for various reasons, but I'm not one of those who thought he was awful.