+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nelson to Blackpool?

Re: Nelson to Blackpool?

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    There'll be plenty of free agents for the next few years.

We'll be OK
    We were ahead of the game with building squads with freebies and loans anyway.

We started in large part last summer.

Stepped up his game recently maybe his contract was running down?

I'm no huge fan of his but it is strange to strengthen a relegation rival

Quote Originally Posted by Undercoverinwurzelland View Post
    Having a medical now according to this https://www.footballinsider247.com/s...ahead-of-move/
    Forget the medical, they should just roll a ball into his feet, it'll save time and plenty of money.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    I'm no huge fan of his but it is strange to strengthen a relegation rival
    This is said with tongue firmly in cheek i presume...

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    This is said with tongue firmly in cheek i presume...
    You wait until Mick unleashes his latest tactical innovation - Curtis will form part of a sturdy back 7!

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    You wait until Mick unleashes his latest tactical innovation - Curtis will form part of a sturdy back 7!
    Nelson will have a couple of good games, get his bollocks in front of a few open goals, score a 93rd minute winner, and this place will go into ****ing meltdown, with Soviet levels of Revisionism-It's the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Nelson will have a couple of good games, get his bollocks in front of a few open goals, score a 93rd minute winner, and this place will go into ****ing meltdown, with Soviet levels of Revisionism-It's the way.
    And that's before he scores a 96th minute winner with his bollocks against us!

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Stepped up his game recently maybe his contract was running down?
    Doesn't his contract finish at the end of the season, so now is our last chance to get anything for him?

Quote Originally Posted by nomad blue View Post
    Doesn't his contract finish at the end of the season, so now is our last chance to get anything for him?
    Blackpool offered £600,000 to Hearts for Toby Sibbick, which was rejected , perhaps they will offer a small fee for Nelson , but more than likely City will probably cancel his contract.

With a good partner, he's a decent player, though he can get caught out sometimes. Still, if we can get a few bob for him, fine, but it does seem odd to sell him to a rival.

Nelson said he will always keep an eye out for the City's results.

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    Useful is a lot better than was said before.

All based on two games in the cup where we conceded a total of 7 goals. If he is useful I'd hate to see what a useless defender looked like.
    You are right that some people were rubbishing Nelson earlier in the season (and some are still doing it) but not everyone dumps on our players like that. There is sometimes the mob mentality of hyperactive three year olds when someone decides on the next player to get the 'crap', League 1, or 'waste of space' treatment and the like minded pile in.

In previous threads about Nelson - even after that car crash of a start to his season - there were a good number of posters who were able to give a more rounded view. We all know what he is not good at, but we have also seen him doing a very effective job at the back in recent years and picking up a few MOMs on the way.

He is no Beckenbaur, but he usually (some recent howlers but they are not the norm) defends competently, and when he was in the mix with Morrison and Flint it was Nelson who had the legs and worked non-stop to cover for them. He has limitations but is a very useful squad player, even if never 'flavour of the month'. I can see the sense for the club and player in a move this month, but the team will be weaker for it.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    You are right that some people were rubbishing Nelson earlier in the season (and some are still doing it) but not everyone dumps on our players like that. There is sometimes the mob mentality of hyperactive three year olds when someone decides on the next player to get the 'crap', League 1, or 'waste of space' treatment and the like minded pile in.

In previous threads about Nelson - even after that car crash of a start to his season - there were a good number of posters who were able to give a more rounded view. We all know what he is not good at, but we have also seen him doing a very effective job at the back in recent years and picking up a few MOMs on the way.

He is no Beckenbaur, but he usually (some recent howlers but they are not the norm) defends competently, and when he was in the mix with Morrison and Flint it was Nelson who had the legs and worked non-stop to cover for them. He has limitations but is a very useful squad player, even if never 'flavour of the month'. I can see the sense for the club and player in a move this month, but the team will be weaker for it.
    Eh?
    Morrison carried Nelson for sure.
    Without Sean Morrison, Nelson looked way out of his depth.
    What games were you watching?
    As the saying goes, one swallow does not make a Spring...
    Nelson's top performances, over many years with us, could easily be counted on less than ten digits!

I don't think it has anything to do with a group mentality, or someone being singled out.
    Nelson, like a number of other players in the squad add very little.
    It's not there fault, it's not like there not trying (Sawyers being the exception) but Whyte, Harris, Simpson, Nelson offer us nothing.
    I'd have rather kept Sean Morrison than either Simpson and Nelson.
    You could add the reserve keeper to that list as well.
    Along with Ojo
    Simply put we need better

Quote Originally Posted by olderblue View Post
    I don't think it has anything to do with a group mentality, or someone being singled out.
    It's not there fault, it's not like there not trying (Sawyers being the exception) but Whyte, Harris, Simpson, Nelson offer us nothing.
    Along with Ojo
    Absolutely.
    We've been carrying league one players for a number of years. The likes of Harris, Nelson, Whyte immediately spring to mind.
    Then you have signings like Ojo and Simpson ffs....
    God, I yearn for the DJ days of smart signings from bigger clubs like Chops, Whitts, Bothroyd etc...

Quote Originally Posted by olderblue View Post
    Along with Ojo
    Of course we all want better. Need better if you like.

But I really struggle with X Y and Z 'offer us nothing' type comments. Harris, Ojo and Nelson all have strengths and abilities - and have played a lot of games for us because of that. They can all be criticised, they all have weaknesses , and we would all like to see better, but why do we have to end up with a binary choice of either stardust or shit.

Most players are somewhere in the middle, and a lot of them could do a consistently better job in my opinion with more effective team leadership and coaching (on the pitch and in their heads).

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja View Post
    Eh?
    Morrison carried Nelson for sure.
    Without Sean Morrison, Nelson looked way out of his depth.
    What games were you watching?
    As the saying goes, one swallow does not make a Spring
    Nelson's top performances, over many years with us, could easily be counted on less than ten digits!
    You’re a season out

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    You’re a season out
    Only just

Nelson is off to the to the Met this evening, to watch Cardiff Met young ladies V Cardiff City young ladies, my G Daughter scored her 1st goal last week for the Met, that's after her 1st booking the previous week for dissent C'mon the Met

Quote Originally Posted by Heathblue View Post
    Nelson is off to the to the Met this evening, to watch Cardiff Met young ladies V Cardiff City young ladies, my G Daughter scored her 1st goal last week for the Met, that's after her 1st booking the previous week for dissent C'mon the Met
    Stick some sabbath in your ears if it's a nil nil Longball game

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    I would rather keep Nelson and send Simpson to the seaside - if we need to trim the CB club now McGuinness is back (and maybe Denham close to fitness).
    Yes, Jon I agree. Curtis is a much better player than Simpson.

probably one of our biggest earners and if he's going to be backup that isn't efficient usage of our budget.....but not keen on strengthening a rival, but there is an element of giving Mick enough rope to hang himself

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    probably one of our biggest earners and if he's going to be backup that isn't efficient usage of our budget.....but not keen on strengthening a rival, but there is an element of giving Mick enough rope to hang himself
    Mick don't need no rope!

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    If he is a big earner ??? he needs to go as he hasn't been consistent enough, he's been a squad member for a while now and really should be delivering more and be leading by example.