+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Three down, forty seven to go....................

Three down, forty seven to go....................

on Rees-Mogg's timescale anyway, until we start to see those sunny uplands. WE left the EU three years ago today and, to celebrate, the IMF have published a report which says the UK economy will perform worse than even sanction hit Russia during 2023.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64452995

On a smaller scale, my weekly shop in Aldi's Porth yesterday saw me paying 40p more for my weeks supply of blueberries, 40p more for twelve pink lady apples, 10p per packet of bananas and 10p more for Mediterranean vegetables which I use in the salad I have most weeks. So, within about ten yards of entering the shop, I'd spent more than a pound mote than I had on the same items last week. The total bill was the highest I've ever paid in that shop in the four years or so I've been using - the complete dog food I get was great value at £3.99 this time last year is still good value, but it now costs £4.99 and things like a tin of chick peas have doubled in price in the last year.

To balance things a bit, the IMF says the the UK economy was the fastest growing previously so it was always due a bit of a rebound, but the highest growth in the G7 stat was, in many ways, a product of us coming out of lockdown so much sooner than anyone else. Again, trying to be balanced, the Bank of England has sowed back on some of the most dire forecasts they were making and, of course, not all of the country's current woes can be blamed on Brexit, but the poll referred to in this video suggests that those sunny uplands seem to be getting further away for money.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=me7F...ADifferentBias

Re: Three down, forty seven to go....................

i know times are hard bob, but I hadn't appreciated you were struggling that much you have resorted to eating dog food

When we refer to uplands, who knew they really meant the shithole in Swansea.

All joking aside, the good news just keeps rolling in.

That linked BBC article included the words 'high energy prices' three times.

This story from last week caught my attention. It says if .gov withdraws energy price support for businesses from April 1, as is scheduled, then a great many will fold as those increased costs will not be able to be offset by hiking prices because punters will be unable or unwilling to pay more.

'£27.50 pint!' Brewdog boss issues warning as firms struggle with energy bills 'disaster' - https://www.express.co.uk/news/scien...s-support-hunt

- The CEO of Brewdog has warned that drinkers could pay an eye-watering £27.50 for a pint if the company raised prices to match the soaring energy bills. James Watt slammed the Government this week for having "no strategy" when it comes to saving "tens of thousands" of businesses struggling with the soaring costs of gas. -

Whilst the overall inflation rate is just over 10% food inflation is still over 16%. I work in town a couple if days a week and now get our fruit in the market. Berries and grapes especially are much cheaper than even Lidl and Aldi.

I do all my grocery shopping online at Asda and can easily check prices as every order is saved there. Prices of what I purchase rose on average 21% last year.

They seem to be accelerating faster this month. I'm sure these supermarkets are price gouging. We'll only know for sure when they publish their profits.

A small local bar last week, posted this this on their facebook page.

“ENERGY CRISIS REALITY

This is 1 MONTH bill // 23rd December - 24th January we were open for just 9 DAYS!!! So between that time Scottish Power are estimating we have used £3118.62 worth of electricity, this is DISGUSTING and is KILLING businesses like ourselves.

For just 1 quarter our bill is a total of £9039.52 ��
    Our old quarter bill used to be less than £1500….

So if you are doing “dry January” or popping to Tesco to buy your lunch PLEASE think of us SMALL INDEPENDENT businesses! We have staff with families who need to feed their children, warm their homes and live! �� “

They also put screenshots of their bills up as proof. How can they possibly survive?

Quote Originally Posted by HiVis View Post
    i know times are hard bob, but I hadn't appreciated you were struggling that much you have resorted to eating dog food

When we refer to uplands, who knew they really meant the shithole in Swansea.

All joking aside, the good news just keeps rolling in.
    There have been times when I wondered about trying dog food - she’s having real chicken pieces tonight while it’s sardines with salad for me.

I've heard more than one former student saying they lived off those Fray Bentos pies you get in a tin while they were in Uni and they were one of the things I'd occasionally put in the Food Bank container when I went to my local Tescos.- I'm in the habit of buying something for a pound or two every week to put in there. Actually, I can't remember the last time I spent a quid, it's now two pound a time week in. week out, but there was a time only a couple of years back I'd say where those Fray Bentos pies (which normally sold for £1.50) were on offer at £1 and I could get a couple of them for the Food Bank. They went up to £2 each quite recently ago, not long before Christmas, there was a further rise to £2.50 and yesterday they were £3. So, I'd say they've doubled in price in about a year and have now reached the stage where they've become too expensive to be a student's staple diet and I've started looking elsewhere for things for the Food Bank.

My local Co-op has always been very expensive, but I couldn't believe it when I went in there for the first time in months a week or two ago and saw that they were charging a fiver for a small tin of red salmon! Inflation may be coming down in 2023, but I see no sign of the same thing happening with food inflation.

I sympathise, Bobsy. A cream cracker with thinly spread margarine on it is fast becoming a rare treat.

My poor dog is surviving on cheap tinned hot dogs. He sniffs at them in his dish for ages then flashes me a "what's this shit?" look then grudgingly eats them when he's hungry enough.

Mention of Co-op prices, who does their weekly shop there? Those on a six figure annual income and people with early onset dementia most likely.

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    I sympathise, Bobsy. A cream cracker with thinly spread margarine on it is fast becoming a rare treat.

My poor dog is surviving on cheap tinned hot dogs. He sniffs at them in his dish for ages then flashes me a "what's this shit?" look then grudgingly eats them when he's hungry enough.

Mention of Co-op prices, who does their weekly shop there? Those on a six figure annual income and people with early onset dementia most likely.
    I don't go in the Co-op too often these days and, when I do, it's only to buy one or two things, but when I first moved up here nearly five years ago you'd see the occasional person pushing a piled up trolley around, not any more though - a tin of your dog's hot dogs wouldn't leave you with much change from a fiver these days.