+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Food Banks New Political Headliner

Re: Food Banks New Political Headliner

Quote Originally Posted by HiVis View Post
    Or it could be that £30k after tax is less than £500 pw take home. After rent/mortgage/food/travel, there's probably not a lot left. Forget about wearing clothes, having the occasional bevvy or procreation.

if you want to invest in our Children's education, then you invest in teaching staff and schools.
    This is what scares me the most. May sound a bit dramatic but I reckon that the impending depopulation in the west will bring about an age where countries with the smartest people win the AI/automation battle, not investing in education now is possibly the stupidest long term decision any country could make.

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    In simple terms when it decreases to below zero, which is expected in 2024 and last for approximately 2 years then settle at 2% thereafter.

https://obr.uk/forecasts-in-depth/th...inflation/#CPI

If you want more information search for the office of budget responsibility, Economic and fiscal outlook from Nov 2022 paragraph 14, chart 14.

This area of the report shows how the UK economy will fall from 10% CPI to a long term 2% rate which is continuously discussed in any BOE statement. Everything at the moment is a blip. The only thing not expected to fall to low levels is interest rates which is expected to settle at 3%.
    most of us appreciate that inflation will drop to the recent medium term level of around 2%, but the issues is that even if inflation of 10% lasts for only one year (!), you've lost 10% of your buying power if your wages don't rise by the same amount. Even a 5% rise is a 5% (or thereabouts) drop in real terms, and when you factor in interest rate rises which have increased mortgage payments (and most likely rent payments), then the drop in disposable income is considerably more. Factor in teachers (vis a vis the public sector) pay has stagnated in the past 12 years and teacher's disposal income buying power is much less than it was in 2010.

I don't buy into everything is this governments fault like some on here, but we can go a bit better than 5% if it means retaining skilled teachers in a profession that is critical to the UKs long term success. Teaching standards and education results have risen under the Tories, but that is more to do with newer, better teaching methods being employed, rather than the government looking to squeeze the marrow (which is all that is left) out of the profession.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    I don't know why I have to explain this but here goes:

Butter is £1
    Pay is £10
    I can buy 10 packs of butter

for 1 year we have 10% inflation - 5% Pay award

Butter is now £1.10
    Pay is £10.5
    I can buy ~9.5 packs of butter

For 1 year deflation is 2% - Pay Freeze

Butter is now ~£1.08
    Pay is £10.5
    I can buy ~9.7 packs of butter

Project that out long enough and you can't buy any packs of butter.

Now, these two statements do not add up

Here is you saying that my consistently below inflation pay rises are fair.

Here is you giving the impression that you don't think that is fair.

I have moved jobs a few times in that time period but in my current job at my current grade. If my salary had been linked to inflation between 2009 and 2021, I would be 31.7% better off. The issue here is that vast swathes of public sector jobs become not viable (especially in affluent areas) and we end up with a long term recruitment/retention crisis spiral, the likes we are seeing in the NHS and teaching right now.
    i appreciate that but I’m sure you have benefited in other ways , such as cheap lending rates etc

I’d suggest you have a look at the articles I’ve posted.

I’ll reiterate, I’m not against the 5% rise , and I have explained my reasoning with supporting evidence.

I can only speak for myself regarding the current education system my son is in - is ok ( as it’s Welsh speaking) but the teachers demands for above inflation pay rises is excessive, more-so when this extra money could be spend in other areas of the sector.

I don't know why I have to explain this but here goes:

Butter is £1
    Pay is £10
    I can buy 10 packs of butter

for 1 year we have 10% inflation - 5% Pay award

Butter is now £1.10
    Pay is £10.5
    I can buy ~9.5 packs of butter

For 1 year deflation is 2% - Pay Freeze

Butter is now ~£1.08
    Pay is £10.5
    I can buy ~9.7 packs of butter

Project that out long enough and you can't buy any packs of butter.

Now, these two statements do not add up

Here is you saying that my consistently below inflation pay rises are fair.

Here is you giving the impression that you don't think that is fair.

I have moved jobs a few times in that time period but in my current job at my current grade. If my salary had been linked to inflation between 2009 and 2021, I would be 31.7% better off. The issue here is that vast swathes of public sector jobs become not viable (especially in affluent areas) and we end up with a long term recruitment/retention crisis spiral, the likes we are seeing in the NHS and teaching right now.
    Inflation is driven by demand and as a country we have voted for Brexit, so we don’t have the workforce or supply chain , that we perhaps once had.

As an aside people also spent excessively during lockdown and this has resulted in construction slow down which would probably impact school maintenance areas, housebuilding etc

I don't use public transport such as buses or trains but it's vital they are funded

I don't have kids but we need to pay the teachers a decent wage

I don't rely on home care like many disabled or elderly people but we must pay carers a decent wage or they will go and work in tesco

There is nothing worse than people having a go at another group of people looking to improve their situation

We have had nadeem zahawi taking the piss with millions and this government and sunak talk to teachers , nurses , postal workers and train staff like they are communists ?

Get out of here

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    I don't use public transport such as buses or trains but it's vital they are funded

I don't have kids but we need to pay the teachers a decent wage

I don't rely on home care like many disabled or elderly people but we must pay carers a decent wage or they will go and work in tesco

There is nothing worse than people having a go at another group of people looking to improve their situation

We have had nadeem zahawi taking the piss with millions and this government and sunak talk to teachers , nurses , postal workers and train staff like they are communists ?

Get out of here
    You don’t work either

Will never understand why some people bemoan normal workers trying to prevent things getting less shit but say nothing about the billionaire class pillaging the UKs finances.

Quote Originally Posted by Doucas View Post
    Those are the salaries of everyone in the council....
    No they are not , page down

You don’t work either
    Yes I do

Quote Originally Posted by Doucas View Post
    Will never understand why some people bemoan normal workers trying to prevent things getting less shit but say nothing about the billionaire class pillaging the UKs finances.
    Ain't that the truth

i appreciate that but I’m sure you have benefited in other ways , such as cheap lending rates etc

I am pretty sure banks lend at the same rate whether you have had a payrise or not.

In fairness though, there was oxygen, I took a shit load of that. I better settle up, who do I owe?

I am pretty sure banks lend at the same rate whether you have had a payrise or not.

In fairness though, there was oxygen, I took a shit load of that. I better settle up, who do I owe?
    You’re missing the point again even when I’ve laid it all out for you as simplistic as I can.

Out of interest I take it you’re not in financial services

You’re missing the point again even when I’ve laid it all out for you as simplistic as I can.

Out of interest I take it you’re not in financial services
    No I would be thoroughly bored.

I think everyone must be missing your point though because nobody seems to agree with anything you say.

It must be us

The sign of a really clever person is that they can explain complex things simply, want to have a go?

No I would be thoroughly bored.

I think everyone must be missing your point though because nobody seems to agree with anything you say.

It must be us

The sign of a really clever person is that they can explain complex things simply, want to have a go?
    I’ve simplified a topic for other users to make an informed decision, yet you felt compelled to add a snide comment asking me to explain deflation,the post was nothing to do with you per se, but I guess you thought you were being clever

Now, is there an anything else you wish to add which contributes to the thread , if so go ahead.

If you would prefer to get personal , I’m happy to discuss it via a PM

I’ve simplified a topic for other users to make an informed decision, yet you felt compelled to add a snide comment asking me to explain deflation,the post was nothing to do with you per se, but I guess you thought you were being clever

Now, is there an anything else you wish to add which contributes to the thread , if so go ahead.

If you would prefer to get personal , I’m happy to discuss it via a PM
    Have you had a bad day or something? Stop being so soft.

I didn't ask about deflation, I asked about de-inflation.

Thanks for simplifying stuff for us lesser beings though.

I don't think there is much more to add, you have a poorly thought out opinion based on nothing other than cliche rhetoric and therefore can't explain how you reached it, carry on buddy.

Have you had a bad day or something? Stop being so soft.

I didn't ask about deflation, I asked about de-inflation.

Thanks for simplifying stuff for us lesser beings though.

I don't think there is much more to add, you have a poorly thought out opinion based on nothing and can't explain how you reached it.
    I’ve explained it as simply as I can and gave reasons as to why I think the strikers should accept the 5% on offer , what else do you want me to say when I’ve given you the current data , told you about the forecasts for the next two years and what impact inflation matching salaries have on the tax payer.

I see Council Tax is being increased to absorb a Police wage ( I agree with) increase so who knows what other increases are imminent.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/l...wales-26131991