+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A bad time to be a Welsh supporter

International

Re: A bad time to be a Welsh supporter

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Much of the recent success has been on the back of the connection between the players and managers - managers who themselves who played for the team. That helped develop the Together Stronger mantra and I think the FAW would find it difficult to break that cycle and appoint someone outside this model. Without an obvious replacement coming through at the moment I can see Page being here for another couple of years. Maybe then one of the current senior players may be ready to take over.
    The together stronger played its part, but it was based on eight players fighting and scraping to get the ball back and give it to Ramsey and Bale, so although it will help in the future, as we've seen at Cardiff when the top players leave and aren't replaced, gravity takes hold and you drop back down to your true level.

Like it or not we were a two-man team, without them it will be very different.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    Yes, he's not bad, so instead of a World class superstar possibly one of the top three players in the World, we have a young unproven bottom-of premier league/ Championship Striker.

He's probably our best hope and wouldn't get in the England team, how many of our players would?
    I think you're doing Johnson a disservice, for such a young man he's had a great career so far. Was the key man in dragging Lincoln to the playoffs as a teenager, was sensational at Forest last season and has now very much found his feet at Premier League level, that goal on the weekend was top class and as it stands Saka and Martinelli are the only under 21s with more goals/assists than him despite playing for a side who were frankly a shambles earlier in the season.

I'm not saying he'll be as good, he won't be, but at the same age Bale scored 7 and got 2 assists for Spurs in 30 league games, Johnson has 5 goals and 2 assists in 21 games in his first season at this level.

I've little doubt in my mind that, had he chosen England, Johnson would win England caps over his career. Even over their successful last few years they've capped the likes of Jarrod Bowen, Connor Gallagher and Dominic Calvert-Lewin, hardly worldbeaters.

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    It’s cyclical, we will have an upturn soon enough (apart from Swansea hopefully).
    Why apart from Swansea?

International

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    I think you're doing Johnson a disservice, for such a young man he's had a great career so far. Was the key man in dragging Lincoln to the playoffs as a teenager, was sensational at Forest last season and has now very much found his feet at Premier League level, that goal on the weekend was top class and as it stands Saka and Martinelli are the only under 21s with more goals/assists than him despite playing for a side who were frankly a shambles earlier in the season.

I'm not saying he'll be as good, he won't be, but at the same age Bale scored 7 and got 2 assists for Spurs in 30 league games, Johnson has 5 goals and 2 assists in 21 games in his first season at this level.

I've little doubt in my mind that, had he chosen England, Johnson would win England caps over his career. Even over their successful last few years they've capped the likes of Jarrod Bowen, Connor Gallagher and Dominic Calvert-Lewin, hardly worldbeaters.

Good reply you make some good points

There are lots of players that start off well and fade, I don't think he will be half a Bale but let's hope so

The players you mentioned would all be ahead of him in the starting line up I think and then above them would be;

Harry Kane
    Marcus Rashford
    Ivan Toney
    Mason Greenwood
    Tammy Abram
    Olie Watkins
    and probably even Patrick Bamford, he wouldn't get a look in for a while yet, and he's our great hope!

International

Can anyone think of a Wales player that would get into the England team?

In the past even when we didn't qualify for anything there were quite a few.

Rush, Giggs, Hughes, Bale in his prime.

It is a travesty we didn't make USA 94 given the squad we had but we did patch up some areas of it with ordinary players.

International

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    Rush, Giggs, Hughes, Bale in his prime.

It is a travesty we didn't make USA 94 given the squad we had but we did patch up some areas of it with ordinary players.
    Yes in the past, and Southall, and maybe Speed, but in the current squad none would get anywhere near.

Good reply you make some good points

There are lots of players that start off well and fade, I don't think he will be half a Bale but let's hope so

The players you mentioned would all be ahead of him in the starting line up I think and then above them would be;

Harry Kane
    Marcus Rashford
    Ivan Toney
    Mason Greenwood
    Tammy Abram
    Olie Watkins
    and probably even Patrick Bamford, he wouldn't get a look in for a while yet, and he's our great hope!
    It's a game of opinions so I won't argue against each player on the list in turn, especially as a few aren't his direct competition in terms of position but I think should he continue his present form there'd be plenty of shouts for him to be in England's squad in March, even despite his Wales caps!

I reckon they'd take Ben Davies

This is a good England team

International

Great player he was a massive loss to us in the semi-final in 2016, maybe?

Yes in the past, and Southall, and maybe Speed, but in the current squad none would get anywhere near.
    No.

Not sure some in the squad deserve to be there even.
    Gunter and Johnny Williams going along to the world cup as they're good for the dressing room for example.

Ahead of who?

Ratcliffe would have also had England caps, captain of an Everton side who were in their pomp, League Champions, Cup Winners, ECWC winners. Heysel, perhaps, hit them more than most with the ban on English clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    Ahead of who?
    Maguire

Great player he was a massive loss to us in the semi-final in 2016, maybe?
    Yeah, Collins wasn't really an adequate replacement at that point

Ramsey was the real loss, Andy King was a solid pro but nowhere near Rambo's quality, especially the way he was playing. Such silly bookings as well

Yeah, Collins wasn't really an adequate replacement at that point

Ramsey was the real loss, Andy King was a solid pro but nowhere near Rambo's quality, especially the way he was playing. Such silly bookings as well
    Ramsey was the loss. Davies was a miss but it wouldn't have mattered who was centre half with Ronaldo's header. Ramsey might have been able to open them up. I bet if Coleman has that one back, he starts with Vokes up top, too.

International

Still looking bleak, Cardiff looking worse and may go down, the Rugby is worse again, Swansea are rubbish, and Wales losing Allen, and no one coming through, it's going to be a crap few years!

Still looking bleak, Cardiff looking worse and may go down, the Rugby is worse again, Swansea are rubbish, and Wales losing Allen, and no one coming through, it's going to be a crap few years!
    but Wrexham won again

International

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    but Wrexham won again
    Not proper Wales