+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Nathan Jones thread

International

Re: Nathan Jones… not working out too well

Quote Originally Posted by G rangetown Blue View Post
    So….he’s “out of his his depth” at Southampton, but wasn’t at a club just 3 places below them in the football league ?

What are his best qualities? Tactical awareness, man management, player motivation? I’m suggesting he possesses none of these. *IMO
    Looks like he can slowly build a club up bringing in workman-like cart horses and getting the best out of them, but can't manage pampered thoroughbred race horses, it probably takes a different style of management.

I know someone will say Southampton players are hardly race horses, but they are in comparison to a battling Luton, different players with different abilities and attitudes, the "it's my way of the highway" style doesn't work in the premiership the players just get you the sack.

Seems to me like those were the kind of comments that would have gone down well 20 years ago and would have been lauded by the press back then, but whether they are still the right kind of thing to say today in the era of 24/7 news and social media and trying to manage a squad of fragile egos who all think they are global superstars, I am not so sure.

You do wonder what on earth Southampton were expecting in a Premiership relegation battle with one of the weakest (the weakest?) squads in the division from a first time manager at that level who has had middling results at lower levels and flunked the one step up to a bigger club. If he was hired to build the squad back up from the Championship that might be one thing, but I generally have to agree he's looked totally out of his depth at this level for the most part.

Rumors of Corboran replacing Jesse Marsch at Leeds as well, the Prem has become a bit of a parody of itself with how often teams are replacing managers at the first sign of a wobble but I guess Tan can point to one thing he does at a Premiership level.

Quote Originally Posted by G rangetown Blue View Post
    So….he’s “out of his his depth” at Southampton, but wasn’t at a club just 3 places below them in the football league ?

What are his best qualities? Tactical awareness, man management, player motivation? I’m suggesting he possesses none of these. *IMO
    Jones took them from League Two to top of League One. He then kept them up after coming back, and took the side with the lowest budget in the league to the playoffs. They're now 4th with largely his side. If Jones was out of his depth there, I'd like to see your classification of a good manager.

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    Job’s too big for him, as you said, lost the plot.
    My mate from the allotment was called up before the committee last Friday about the state of his area. They asked him to leave. He has lost the plot.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Jones took them from League Two to top of League One. He then kept them up after coming back, and took the side with the lowest budget in the league to the playoffs. They're now 4th with largely his side. If Jones was out of his depth there, I'd like to see your classification of a good manager.
    He certainly over achieved at Luton, and a few eyebrows were raised when he went to Southampton. Unfortunately for him he’s been found wanting when it comes to managing millionaire footballers with massive egos….he’s not the first….and won’t be the last.

So 10 games in now the norm it seems! Shame as he picked up a few cup results but couldn't transfer that to the league.

Southampton were going down anyway, most places had them as relegation contenders and for years and years they've been filtering with it. Seems selling off your best young talent does catch up with you.

They were spending money left right and centre on young unproven players from across Europe that's been an absolute disaster, i'm not sure anybody could have saved them.

When his appointment to the post was discussed on here, I commented that it was a strange one, especially when you consider the high profile managers they've had in recent times. And Southampton should be a plum job for managers/coaches much higher up the food chain than Nathan. No disrespect to the guy but I cannot see this ending well for him, excluding a decent compensation package of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    When his appointment to the post was discussed on here, I commented that it was a strange one, especially when you consider the high profile managers they've had in recent times. And Southampton should be a plum job for managers/coaches much higher up the food chain than Nathan. No disrespect to the guy but I cannot see this ending well for him, excluding a decent compensation package of course.
    His mate has got him in, i'm pretty sure of that, but can't back it up with any evidence (not that i would want to) The Director of football operations is very friendly with jones, they go way back. That's my thinking anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Malckent View Post
    My mate from the allotment was called up before the committee last Friday about the state of his area. They asked him to leave. He has lost the plot.
    Maybe he can apply for the Southampton job to take the edge of the pain.

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    Maybe he can apply for the Southampton job to take the edge of the pain.
    They’ve left The Dell.

Quote Originally Posted by Malckent View Post
    He's going to have to dig himself out

https://www.saintsweb.co.uk/topic/59...mbined-thread/

What a horrible bunch..
    Let him go back to managing Londis level clubs.
    They need a reality check

Quote Originally Posted by stan butler View Post
    https://www.saintsweb.co.uk/topic/59...mbined-thread/

What a horrible bunch..
    Let him go back to managing Londis level clubs.
    They need a reality check
    That’s nothing to what Chelsea fans are saying about Potter !

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Bosch View Post
    How has he lost the plot? I think that’s a brilliant interview and exactly how interviews should be. In day to day life, managers do not have to get up in front of the world and explain themselves when things haven’t gone well. It doesn’t happen outside of sport. Every football fan complains about boring managers and cliches. Then you get a brilliant and honest press conference like this and people accuse Nathan Jones of losing the plot. Bollox. Fans demand to know what’s going on and then don’t like hearing somebody battling and backing themselves. Good for Nathan Jones I say. I liked Steve Morison and had no issue with his so-called “abrasiveness”. Do not moan about cliches and dinosaurs set in their ways, and then complain about somebody giving their honest opinions. Nathan Jones has only risen considerably in my estimations after this.
    It was an absolutely dreadful interview. Press conferences (rightly or wrongly) are not interviews or chats. And Jones looks to have completely forgotten their purpose.

As onerous as it must be to have to talk to the press so regularly, his job is to represent the club (his employer) and he does an absolutely awful job of that.

I feel sorry for him but it is terrible. All over the place. Inarticulate, provocative, defensive.

It is borderline painful to see journalists almost toying with people when they get to this stage.
    Last edited by Bobby Dandruff; 06-02-23 at 22:17. Reason: Edits

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    It was an absolutely dreadful interview. Press conferences (rightly or wrongly) are not interviews or chats. And Jones looks to have completely forgotten their purpose.

As onerous as it must be to have to talk to the press so regularly, his job is to represent the club (his employer) and he does an absolutely awful job of that.

I feel sorry for him but it is terrible. All over the place. Inarticulate, provocative, defensive.

It is borderline painful to see journalists almost toying with people when they get to this stage.
    I agree that's surely not a bloke in control and being rational ?

What's he doing pulling his top up over his chin ?

He's totally on edge and I would be surprised if that's what he was like when he got the job ?

Aren't Southampton the Luton of the premier league though?

They are bottom quartile in salaries and transfers, so the bottom quartile is their mini league. If he can squeeze more out of his relatively inexpensive players then they live to fight relegation for another season.

When they are relegated, with the exception of Ward Prowse how many clubs will be raiding their squad? If i were those players I'd roll up my sleeves and start digging in because the land of milk and honey soon disappears

Quote Originally Posted by llan bluebird View Post

They are bottom quartile in salaries and transfers, so the bottom quartile is their mini league. If he can squeeze more out of his relatively inexpensive players then they live to fight relegation for another season.

When they are relegated, with the exception of Ward Prowse how many clubs will be raiding their squad? If i were those players I'd roll up my sleeves and start digging in because the land of milk and honey soon disappears
    I think the problem for him is that the Southampton fans don't think he's up to the job of keeping them up

I think they have ideas above their station personally but I don't think he's the best choice

Quote Originally Posted by llan bluebird View Post

Quite.

But many footballers, especially Premier League footballers, are seemingly quite petulant about who they will actually try to play for, and I can’t see many of them responding to Jones if he is like that with them.

I've watched the whole interview again just to check if I missed the examples of him losing it and, just like the first time I saw it, I don't see any. As I said before, it seems some have a problem with someone being brutally honest in a press conference. It was disappointing to hear him come out with an "in the building", but, otherwise, having seen it twice now, I think it's a better interview than I did first time around.

To my mind, what he's saying is that he got noticed by Southampton because he played a particular way at Luton in his second spell there, but he's allowed himself to be blown off course regarding style of play and it seems to me that he's saying he did so because he felt the style he used at Luton was too unsophisticated for the Premier League, but now he's made up his mind to go back to use his Luton methods at Southampton.

As has been mentioned by others, it may be that there are those in the dressing room who think they are above playing in the manner Nathan Jones was brought to Southampton to implement and, usually, in the Premier League especially, it's the manager who loses out in a battle of wills with his players.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    Quite.

But many footballers, especially Premier League footballers, are seemingly quite petulant about who they will actually try to play for, and I can’t see many of them responding to Jones if he is like that with them.
    Don't forget many of these premier league players are in their early 20's and have been babied since youth.

It's a very different style of management I bet.

International

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I've watched the whole interview again just to check if I missed the examples of him losing it and, just like the first time I saw it, I don't see any. As I said before, it seems some have a problem with someone being brutally honest in a press conference. It was disappointing to hear him come out with an "in the building", but, otherwise, having seen it twice now, I think it's a better interview than I did first time around.

To my mind, what he's saying is that he got noticed by Southampton because he played a particular way at Luton in his second spell there, but he's allowed himself to be blown off course regarding style of play and it seems to me that he's saying he did so because he felt the style he used at Luton was too unsophisticated for the Premier League, but now he's made up his mind to go back to use his Luton methods at Southampton.

As has been mentioned by others, it may be that there are those in the dressing room who think they are above playing in the manner Nathan Jones was brought to Southampton to implement and, usually, in the Premier League especially, it's the manager who loses out in a battle of wills with his players.
    We can see what he is trying to do, it just doesn't seem to work when he changes clubs, it's like he rubs them up the wrong way and they refuse to play, the same happened at Stoke and he was back to Luton where there was le expectation and he could mold the lower standard players into a strong team unit.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/articles/c29jx9e950jo

I mean Chris Sutton is a total dick but he’s not minced his words😂😂😂

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    https://www.bbc.com/sport/articles/c29jx9e950jo

I mean Chris Sutton is a total dick but he’s not minced his words😂😂😂
    A complete dick

But I am in agreement with you that Jones has shot the cat

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    I mean Chris Sutton is a total dick....
    It's disappointing, therefore, that anyone gives him publicity.

Sutton is the very worst kind of pundit (if he can be described as such). He's football's equivalent of a shock jock. Dreadful individual.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    It's disappointing, therefore, that anyone gives him publicity.

Sutton is the very worst kind of pundit (if he can be described as such). He's football's equivalent of a shock jock. Dreadful individual.
    That prize goes to Jason Cundy