+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Another Brexit Effect Debunked

Another Brexit Effect Debunked

Re: Another Brexit Effect Debunked

What’s been debunked?

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    What’s been debunked?
    i don't think he knows what the feck he's talking about...nothing new tho tbh

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    i don't think he knows what the feck he's talking about...nothing new tho tbh
    At least there’s a link this time. Normally he just copy and pastes a wall of text without any context.

At least there’s a link this time. Normally he just copy and pastes a wall of text without any context.
    Or simply writes gibberish no-one but him can understand. He's a bit like a town crier in China belting out the news in Cornish.

I was scratching my head reading it. Hopefully LOM will come around later and explain what we're all missing.

He's only gone and debunked a brexit effect, what's wrong with you all?

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    He's only gone and debunked a brexit effect, what's wrong with you all?
    But he didn't mention Jeremy Corbyn, which is unusual.

He's referring to the queues that some argued were caused by passport stamps required (by the EU) since leaving. It's to be replaced with something else but that will cost £7 and last three years.

It is worth noting that we left the EU on 31st January 2020. 21 days later parts of Europe entered their first lockdown so I think the reality of Covid has meant that many (often relatively simple) things that many governments need to sort was sacrificed at the alter of Covid. Hopefully things will start moving forward much more rapidly now.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    He's referring to the queues that some argued were caused by passport stamps required (by the EU) since leaving. It's to be replaced with something else but that will cost £7 and last three years.

It is worth noting that we left the EU on 31st January 2020. 21 days later parts of Europe entered their first lockdown so I think the reality of Covid has meant that many (often relatively simple) things that many governments need to sort was sacrificed at the alter of Covid. Hopefully things will start moving forward much more rapidly now.
    You give LoM too much credit. I'd put money on him seeing the headline and assuming it means there's no more border checks for UK citizens entering the EU or UK passport holders can go through the same checkpoints as EU passport holders. Like we used to.

You give LoM too much credit. I'd put money on him seeing the headline and assuming it means there's no more border checks for UK citizens entering the EU or UK passport holders can go through the same checkpoints as EU passport holders. Like we used to.
    Maybe so, but if a thread can be diverted from the route of a personal slanging match towards the issue in hand, is that such a bad thing?

Maybe so, but if a thread can be diverted from the route of a personal slanging match towards the issue in hand, is that such a bad thing?
    Well until LoM decides to enlighten us all by what he means, which would be a rarity, I'll stick with what I reckon has happened. It's more in character.

They knew .. thanks.. I find the new world is full of these , endless hell for Brits going abroad dramatic end life type statements, the only truthful statement through the Brexit debate was Europe needs us as much as we need them, hence this welcome change ( project fear lives on )

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    They knew .. thanks.. I find the new world is full of these , endless hell for Brits going abroad dramatic end life type statements, the only truthful statement through the Brexit debate was Europe needs us as much as we need them, hence this welcome change ( project fear lives on )
    More like project reality methinks.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    More like project reality methinks.
    Not in my experience European travel has been fine .

We will now revert back to pre Brexit passport checks ie no stamping via non european booths as the toys are back in the pram .. it did make me chuckle though as most folk going through Spain / French customs were Brits , the European automated custom check machines just sat there getting rusty.. on bless . On a few occasions they would let us use them, its all bollocks they need our tourist dosh.

So rather than project fear, this was a genuine problem but the EU did something about it?

So the EU needed us and we needed them ?

Sounds like a possible deal 🤝

Get it sorted

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    So the EU needed us and we needed them ?

Sounds like a possible deal 🤝

Get it sorted
    Sir Kier is privately on it .

Which is fine but we make our own laws alongside that partnership, you dont have to be joined at the hip, to trade .

Europe biggest failing is its control mechanism for all like free movement . It should be more flexible. Something Cameron begged them for before allowing the vote which he foolishly thought he win .

Didn't read the mood , got outflanked by Cummings , Corbyn and Farage .

Sir Kier is privately on it .

Which is fine but we make our own laws alongside that partnership, you dont have to be joined at the hip, to trade .

Europe biggest failing is its control mechanism for all like free movement . It should be more flexible. Something Cameron begged them for before allowing the vote which he foolishly thought he win .

Didn't read the mood , got outflanked by Cummings , Corbyn and Farage .
    No Cameron's biggest mistake was giving in to Farage and initiating a poorly thought out referendum. Had he been stronger he could have arranged one on more realistic terms.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    No Cameron's biggest mistake was giving in to Farage and initiating a poorly thought out referendum. Had he been stronger he could have arranged one on more realistic terms.
    Cameron's big mistake was setting a simple majority of >50% i.e. 51% to win. For such a monumental decision, IMO a minimum of two-thirds majority either way was required. This would have avoided the situation we got where half the population were aggrieved and the other half were happy with the outcome. Not sure if that's still the case of course!

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    Cameron's big mistake was setting a simple majority of >50% i.e. 51% to win. For such a monumental decision, IMO a minimum of two-thirds majority either way was required. This would have avoided the situation we got where half the population were aggrieved and the other half were happy with the outcome. Not sure if that's still the case of course!
    Absolutely correct. Also, to have avoided the possible breakup of the UK he should have insisted all 4 regions should have voted in the same manner and, most importantly, because it affects them for longer, it should have been open to 16 year olds to vote.

Yes Farage and his ilk would have thrown their toys out of the pram but I believe any competent PM could have constructed a sage argument in favour of a more balanced approach. It might also have marginalised the extremists and fantasists and averted a period of deep civil hostility.