+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Meanwhile, in Germany…

Meanwhile, in Germany…

Another goal for former City striker Robert Glatzel yesterday as his Hamburg side came from 3-0 down at half-time to draw 3-3 with Heidenheim.

Glatzel has netted 14 goals in 19 (+1) league appearances this season and currently tops the Bundesliga 2 scoring chart.

Re: Meanwhile, in Germany…

I liked Robert.

Shame.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Another goal for former City striker Robert Glatzel yesterday as his Hamburg side came from 3-0 down at half-time to draw 3-3 with Heidenheim.

Glatzel has netted 14 goals in 19 (+1) league appearances this season and currently tops the Bundesliga 2 scoring chart.
    This is an odd one to behold. Glatzel has never received the 'love' other players we had on the books who were pretty average, not very good, or who played in fits and starts. Look at McGuiness for example, he went from a lump of clump to number 1 solution during his spell at wednesday, truth is that he's not very good. Wintle was our future playmaker when he was at Blackpool, even Gavin Whyte was getting some admiring glances. Never that attitude towards Glatzel though, too soft, not physical enough etc. Some of that may have been true, but i didn't think that he was that bad, he had something..... i'm doing it now.....

Glatzel wasn't tough enough to succeed here.

Bundesliga 2 is a lot more open with far less physicality.
    He scores plenty in that league before he came here and plenty after his time here which tells you a lot.

Sometimes one gets the feeling it might not have been the player but the calibre of his teammates and the way he was managed

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    This is an odd one to behold. Glatzel has never received the 'love' other players we had on the books who were pretty average, not very good, or who played in fits and starts. Look at McGuiness for example, he went from a lump of clump to number 1 solution during his spell at wednesday, truth is that he's not very good. Wintle was our future playmaker when he was at Blackpool, even Gavin Whyte was getting some admiring glances. Never that attitude towards Glatzel though, too soft, not physical enough etc. Some of that may have been true, but i didn't think that he was that bad, he had something..... i'm doing it now.....
    It is, of course, difficult to draw a direct comparison between Bundesliga 2 and the Championship. How weak or strong either league is can never be anything more than opinion.

However, it’s interesting to note that Tommy Doyle couldn’t get a game at Hamburg last season but walked straight into City’s team as soon as he arrived here and quickly became an important player.

Similarly, Jamilu Collins looked more than comfortable during his three Championship appearances for City before injury.

Glatzel’s case is a strange one. He’s scoring all sorts of goals for Hamburg, including headers. He clearly has ability. He’s also playing in front of big crowds regularly, so he can obviously handle pressure. For instance, the attendance at Hamburg’s last home game in which he scored twice was 56,507.

For whatever reason, he wasn’t suited to the Championship, or at least to Cardiff City in the Championship under the likes of Warnock and Harris. He did score a few goals, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    Sometimes one gets the feeling it might not have been the player but the calibre of his teammates and the way he was managed
    And the philosophy of the club.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    And the philosophy of the club.
    Yes, that's the one. We don't improve players, make them better, get them playing in a way that suits us and them. We seem to bring players in and expect them to improve the playing style without any kind of structure out on the pitch. Look at the players who have entertained us over the past 4 or 5 years, they were there anyway, they had ability and natural traits that made them stand out. Then take a look at the players who we thought had something to work on, obvious footballing traits. They always sink, they don't progress with us. It probably isn't the clubs fault completely, but there has to be some reason why we don't make players better, more confident in their natural ability etc.

Yes, that's the one. We don't improve players, make them better, get them playing in a way that suits us and them. We seem to bring players in and expect them to improve the playing style without any kind of structure out on the pitch. Look at the players who have entertained us over the past 4 or 5 years, they were there anyway, they had ability and natural traits that made them stand out. Then take a look at the players who we thought had something to work on, obvious footballing traits. They always sink, they don't progress with us. It probably isn't the clubs fault completely, but there has to be some reason why we don't make players better, more confident in their natural ability etc.
    That raises a poignant thought for any exciting prospect: Come to Cardiff City, the graveyard club for talent and ambition? Maybe not.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    I liked Robert.

Shame.
    Bob to his mates

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    Quite true. Very little is paid to that aspect of a player’s performance

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    Glatzel wasn't tough enough to succeed here.

Bundesliga 2 is a lot more open with far less physicality.
    He scores plenty in that league before he came here and plenty after his time here which tells you a lot.
    Maybe things have changed since the last time I watched it, but the Bundesliga historically has been the only league that has been close to the English league in terms of physicality, especially in the second tier.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Bluebird View Post
    Maybe things have changed since the last time I watched it, but the Bundesliga historically has been the only league that has been close to the English league in terms of physicality, especially in the second tier.
    Well seeing we’ve had just one striker that’s had a good goalscoring season in the last decade, I’d say it does.

Glatzel was a decent finisher for us when he got the ball in and around the penalty area. The problem was that the rest of his game was nowhere near good enough. He was basically Max Watters but scored a few goals.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    Glatzel was a decent finisher for us when he got the ball in and around the penalty area. The problem was that the rest of his game was nowhere near good enough. He was basically Max Watters but scored a few goals.
    ... and Max Watters scored yesterday too.

Quote Originally Posted by alan_corneli View Post
    ... and Max Watters scored yesterday too.
    He got sent off as well.

I reckon Glatzel would score plenty of goals in League One.

Glatzel is a weird one, I'm not sure how you'd use him over here. The game is pretty frenetic, and he'd really struggle to play on his own. He's technically decent but his hold up play wasn't great, he isn't strong and he isn't quick. I don't know how you'd use him, even if he was a good finisher. I think he's one that might look a lot better in a good side but would look awful in a really bad one as if he had loads of chances, he'd bury them but he's not one to create stuff on his own, or play with his back to goal etc.

That’s an extraordinary claim. Things didn’t quite click for Glatzel here, but it often looked like he had ability. Watters, meanwhile, has been uniformly abysmal in a City shirt. There have been times when it’s looked like he’s in the wrong sport.

Glatzels 1st touch was really poor. However he was really good at recovering from that 1st touch.

Rhys Healey has also done really well abroad.

Would a Glatzel / Healey partnership be a top Championship strike force , I very much doubt it.

Both clearly are better than Watters though.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    That’s an extraordinary claim. Things didn’t quite click for Glatzel here, but it often looked like he had ability. Watters, meanwhile, has been uniformly abysmal in a City shirt. There have been times when it’s looked like he’s in the wrong sport.
    Is it? Glatzel was slow, couldn't hold the ball up, and poor in the air, just like Watters. Unlike Watters, Glatzel could score if given a chance in the penalty area, but that was his only attribute.

I was more suprised that Watters actually had the energy to do something to get himself sent off.

Thirty one goals in fifty three games for a team that, clearly, is a lot better than us and yet City fans think he can’t play Apart from Keiffer Moore for a season, Kenneth Zohore for a few months and Kenwyne Jones who had an okay scoring rate in his time here, Cardiff City has been a graveyard club for strikers since the days of Chopra and Bothroyd - could the way we have played for most of that time have something to do with it?

Lets just bring up an important one. The play off semi. 2 very good early chances at home. He doesn't take either.

Virtually the last kick at Craven Cottage he volleys wide.

We were hardly great but we played some decent stuff in that run to the play offs.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Thirty one goals in fifty three games for a team that, clearly, is a lot better than us and yet City fans think he can’t play Apart from Keiffer Moore for a season, Kenneth Zohore for a few months and Kenwyne Jones who had an okay scoring rate in his time here, Cardiff City has been a graveyard club for strikers since the days of Chopra and Bothroyd - could the way we have played for most of that time have something to do with it?
    I think Frazier Campbell would have bagged 15-20 if wed had him all season when we won the league and I think he had a decent ratio when he arrived that season.

Is it? Glatzel was slow, couldn't hold the ball up, and poor in the air, just like Watters. Unlike Watters, Glatzel could score if given a chance in the penalty area, but that was his only attribute.
    Pretty good attribute for a striker.

Poor in the air, didn’t score a single header for City, and yet has scored plenty of fine headers for Hamburg. Why do you think that is? Confidence? Better service?

I don’t know the answer, but the evidence from his time at Hamburg very clearly demonstrates he’s not poor in the air.