+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Longevity of (Football) Message Boards

The Longevity of (Football) Message Boards

I joined this message board in Jan 2007 and I still use it multiple times, pretty much every day.

What I find strange though is that in 16 years of using this message board, for me anyway, it is still the best place to come to get information and chat (normally moan....) about the club.

IT/tech moves so quickly that during 16 years of use, numerous other different platforms and methods of communication have arisen, and yet I still revert to this message board.

I'm on Twitter, Instagram, FB etc as well, and they can be excellent for accessing instant/other information, but how come message boards haven't been superseded or replaced by something more elegant? Is it just THIS board that endures, or is it FOOTBALL messages boards in general that do, or are messages boards still used all over the place? They feel antiquated in many ways and haven't really evolved much, and I don't know any businesses or friends (other than Cardiff City supporters!) that use them.....

Or is it just because I am old?
    Last edited by Bobby Dandruff; 15-02-23 at 11:49. Reason: Grammar

Re: The Longevity of (Football) Message Boards

I've got a lot of younger folk working for me all footy mad they don't use or know about them or want to use em.

Old man's moan fest vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    I joined this message board in Jan 2007 and I still use it multiple times, pretty much every day.

What I find strange though is that in 16 years of using this message board, for me anyway, it is still the best place to come to get information and chat (normally moan....) about the club.

IT/tech moves so quickly that during 16 years of use, numerous other different platforms and methods of communication have arisen, and yet I still revert to this message board.

I'm on Twitter, Instagram, FB etc as well, and they can be excellent for accessing instant/other information, but how come message boards haven't been superseded or replaced by something more elegant? Is it just THIS board that endures, or is it FOOTBALL messages boards in general that do, or are messages boards still used all over the place? They feel antiquated in many ways and haven't really evolved much, and I don't know any businesses or friends (other than Cardiff City supporters!) that use them.....

Or is it just because I am old?
    It has a familiarity to it - like walking into a pub full of regulars, though let's be honest, there would be a scrap going on every night based on the verbal exchanges here. But like you, it's the 1st stop for any news, with the 'bonus' of all the comments that follow it..

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    It has a familiarity to it - like walking into a pub full of regulars, though let's be honest, there would be a scrap going on every night based on the verbal exchanges here. But like you, it's the 1st stop for any news, with the 'bonus' of all the comments that follow it..
    think you nailed it with the familiarity.

there's a glue holds us all together and we share a lot of memories.

i spend way too much time on here and will continue to do so.

let's hope last night has indtilled some confidence and we kick on.

can't believe i've been on here for over 16 years.

I think it does speak of our age to be honest.
    Most younger lads probably aren't here, but a lot of us older heads obviously still are.
    The internet in general really isn't THAT old, but the first place we all came, "back in the day"... Was here.
    And here, we still are...
    Us old f*cks

Anyone else just find themselves automatically coming on here when you pick your phone/iPad or whatever? You may have wanted to Google something or look at YouTube but all of a sudden you’re on here, you can’t help then reading every unread post and you’re on here for a bloody hour or more and you forget what you were going to Google.

You're all talking like this place is the communication equivalent of two tin cans joined by a piece of string. old ****ers It's the simplicity that makes it work. I'm not on any other social media, but from what i have seen of it, plenty is about instant gratification, about the individual, quick and easy. This place is a bit slower, but i like it that way!

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    You're all talking like this place is the communication equivalent of two tin cans joined by a piece of string. old ****ers It's the simplicity that makes it work. I'm not on any other social media, but from what i have seen of it, plenty is about instant gratification, about the individual, quick and easy. This place is a bit slower, but i like it that way!
    Of course you do.
    You're old. And slow. Like me

Just checked and I joined in March 2007! So much has changed since then but I like the fact this place looks pretty much the same. I’ve had some great advice from members on here, found some outstanding staff and mostly enjoy the content. It’s the place I check for anything City related. The advantage against Twitter especially is the lack of spam and very argumentative types.

Quote Originally Posted by bluesp View Post
    Just checked and I joined in March 2007! So much has changed since then but I like the fact this place looks pretty much the same. I’ve had some great advice from members on here, found some outstanding staff and mostly enjoy the content. It’s the place I check for anything City related. The advantage against Twitter especially is the lack of spam and very argumentative types.
    Lack of very argumentative types?! ;-)

It’s a love-in on here really Bobby...........by the way, your long throw was shite, you should have stayed at Palace ya f*cker

This place has nowhere near the amount of traffic it had ten years ago

Some posters seem to have just vanished

I don't know if the other football sites out there are the same

Been here since 1998, love you guys really, especially being 1000s miles away, who else would give me so many honest opinions.

Just out of interest a friend of mine founded a group called walk & talk, they literally spend a couple of hours every Sunday morning walking and sharing issues. Last Sunday, after just 3 months, 130 guys turned up.

I was being slightly generous

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja View Post
    Of course you do.
    You're old. And slow. Like me
    Not just yet, but getting there

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Been here since 1998, love you guys really, especially being 1000s miles away, who else would give me so many honest opinions.

Just out of interest a friend of mine founded a group called walk & talk, they literally spend a couple of hours every Sunday morning walking and sharing issues. Last Sunday, after just 3 months, 130 guys turned up.
    In Poland?

That's a protest, Des

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Anyone else just find themselves automatically coming on here when you pick your phone/iPad or whatever? You may have wanted to Google something or look at YouTube but all of a sudden you’re on here, you can’t help then reading every unread post and you’re on here for a bloody hour or more and you forget what you were going to Google.
    Nods head

For an ice cream up Nelson? ;)

With a bit of luck some women might turn up next Sunday

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    With a bit of luck some women might turn up next Sunday
    TBG has them all

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    TBG has them all
    Unfortunately, there will only be 2.33 females to each male this Saturday but 5 to to each male on the next walk I am leading (as one of the three other chaps is gay).

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Unfortunately, there will only be 2.33 females to each male this Saturday but 5 to to each male on the next walk I am leading (as one of the three other chaps is gay).
    Good numbers that. Fair play.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post

Are you saying that being gay means the other chap is not male?

Quote Originally Posted by RedSetter View Post
    Are you saying that being gay means the other chap is not male?
    You've started tonight with a bang. What was your previous username?