+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Longevity of (Football) Message Boards

Re: The Longevity of (Football) Message Boards

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    You've started tonight with a bang. What was your previous username?
    That is what he's implying though. Don't worry, I won't call him nasty names like you did to Organ Morgan yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by RedSetter View Post
    That is what he's implying though. Don't worry, I won't call him nasty names like you did to Organ Morgan yesterday.
    Still hiding, but no worries. I'm not the one who needs to hide my name.

Oh, is your name really Eric. Nice to meet you Eric. I'm Andy.

I think we both know who it is.

I think in the past there wasn't the same options to talk about Cardiff online as there are now.

When this messageboard was created it was pretty much just this. Now you have Facebook groups, Twitter, WhatsApp groups, reddit amongst much more. So sadly I see forums like this dying out.

I get the feeling there aren't many young people here, I was born in 1988, is there anyone younger than me on here? There must be surely.

Quote Originally Posted by Doucas View Post
    I think in the past there wasn't the same options to talk about Cardiff online as there are now.

When this messageboard was created it was pretty much just this. Now you have Facebook groups, Twitter, WhatsApp groups, reddit amongst much more. So sadly I see forums like this dying out.

I get the feeling there aren't many young people here, I was born in 1988, is there anyone younger than me on here? There must be surely.
    Yes, I think that this is my point really.

I’m alway surprised that there are lots
    of even older posters on here than me (I’m 58). Then again, of my 3 boys, all of whom are in their twenties now, only the eldest views the message boards but doesn’t post.

I suspect that younger people use Twitter etc but I haven’t found any other platform to work as well as this, which also surprises me.

I wonder if the above then applies to all football message boards? That they are mainly used by old farts like me.

I've been posting on here since it was established, and I used to post on the guestbook that preceeded it too. I imagine that started around 1997, but it might have been earlier. I vividly remember my mate getting a new computer in the 1990s and being proud of windows 95, and we definitely posted on the guestbook that day.

I also think in the late 1990s Mike used to put up highlights of the games - on the main site not the board. I used this board loads in the early noughties as I was abroad and it was a good way to keep up to date with what was happening. I remember following some hooligan trouble on here back in about 2002 (i.e. there were live updates from town as idiots smashed stuff up).

I almost never use it now. The diversity seems to have gone which is a pity, and a handful of posters contribute a big chunk of the posts so its far more repetitive than it once was. And as I don't get to many games any more I don't really have much of an opinion to share anyway. I just watch the games on telly or catch the highlights.

Is this still the biggest forum?

Younger people use Twitter etc as they don't have the attention span necessary to keep the spats running in some of the longer threads.
    I saw that I've been a member since 2007 but have only posted ~650 times in all that time but now I've posted twice today. Just like City goals really.

I think message boards are still popular amongst the over 40s, but much younger than that not as much.

most football fans I know of that age at least used to be regular contributors to a message board, but these days have changed to occasional lurkers, or only go there when there's something specific to get the inside track on - a new signing, manager sacking etc.

I've got a mate who's a forest fan who never posts on their board, but gets a lot of news from there and knows all their running jokes and recurring disputes. (apparently they have a long running joke about the transfer fee they received for Chris Gunter, which they've apparently never spent - so any potential signing is supposedly using the Gunter money)

God knows where the younger age groups are getting their information from these days instead

Quote Originally Posted by bigjoe View Post
    Younger people use Twitter etc as they don't have the attention span necessary to keep the spats running in some of the longer threads.
    I saw that I've been a member since 2007 but have only posted ~650 times in all that time but now I've posted twice today. Just like City goals really.
    lol!!!!!!

International

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Anyone else just find themselves automatically coming on here when you pick your phone/iPad or whatever? You may have wanted to Google something or look at YouTube but all of a sudden you’re on here, you can’t help then reading every unread post and you’re on here for a bloody hour or more and you forget what you were going to Google.
    I don't use google, I don't need it.

I've got a wife!!!

this place is warm and familar, just like the Cheers bar, but the inhabitants look more like the Star Wars bar

Quote Originally Posted by Splott-light... View Post
    this place is warm and familar, just like the Cheers bar, but the inhabitants look more like the Star Wars bar
    Where everybody hides their name….

Quote Originally Posted by fingers View Post
    Where everybody hides their name….
    That's the Norm!

Quote Originally Posted by Splott-light... View Post
    uninteresting fact, its called a Cantina in Star Wars, in new hope its the Mos Eisley Cantina, in Batuu ( a planet in the outer rim , Star Wars land in both Walt Disney World and Disneyland California ) its Oga's Cantina

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    That's the Norm!
    Norman...............says Diane

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    In Poland?
    No in Norfolk it started off as a (motor) biker gathering and extended to similar to a mental health group.

I like the set up, the whole layout of MBs is better in my opinion, threads are easy to follow and you don't really get lost in 5000 comments as you do on twitter.

Social media is bollocks.