+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cardiff Taxi Survey

Cardiff Taxi Survey

Just been sent this. Strange that nothing in WalesOnline?

https://forms.office.com/pages/respo..._campaign=Orlo

Have you say if your happy or unhappy with taxis in Cardiff.

Re: Cardiff Taxi Survey

It’s a thankless job and the only job where you’ve got to pay to work.
    Most drivers rent their vehicles at a significant cost upwards of three hundred pounds a week with a radio
    Then they’ve got to buy the fuel averaging £25 a day
    Factor in food and that’s five hundred pounds a week they must earn before the start earning a penny for themselves
    If they own the car then they still have HP agreement plus servicing and running costs to bear
    Everyone moans when you can’t get a taxi on a Friday/ Saturday night between midnight and two am
    Plan ahead and pre book!!
    Nobody thinks of the taxi drivers ranked up the rest of the week waiting on a fare

I’m speaking for my neighbour that works ninety plus hours a week for three to four hundred quid
    You do the math
    He’s not even on minimum wage 😕

I would do it if I was able to carry a gun .

International

Quote Originally Posted by Culver Blue View Post
    Just been sent this. Strange that nothing in WalesOnline?

https://forms.office.com/pages/respo..._campaign=Orlo

Have you say if your happy or unhappy with taxis in Cardiff.
    The easy answer is no they are rubbish and overpriced, I hate getting ripped off in a taxi I'd much rather walk.

It is a thankless task.

Like you say most drivers have to rent the vehicles as it comes with a plate. You could own three plates and not do a days graft as rental fees are bringing in a grand a week. Removing the cap would give be fairer on the driver.

I couldn't believe there was actually a cap on hackney licences.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnysideup View Post
    Most drivers rent their vehicles at a significant cost upwards of three hundred pounds a week with a radio
    Factor in food and that’s five hundred pounds a week they must earn before the start earning a penny for themselves
    If they own the car then they still have HP agreement plus servicing and running costs to bear
    Everyone moans when you can’t get a taxi on a Friday/ Saturday night between midnight and two am
    Nobody thinks of the taxi drivers ranked up the rest of the week waiting on a fare

I’m speaking for my neighbour that works ninety plus hours a week for three to four hundred quid
    You do the math
    He’s not even on minimum wage ��
    It seems a very simple question but if it is that much work for so little reward then why do it?

Surely a job with half the hours doing something with minimal skill would outweigh the benefits of half killing yourself as a taxi driver if they are on less than minimum wage?

Cardiff Taxi drivers are the absolute worst, refusing short trips, making up fares….off the meter, and asking for fares to be paid ‘up front’.

Add to that, disgusting vehicles, with several ‘drivers’ sharing them…and the badges. It’s needs a complete overhaul.

Try to use Uber where I can

You do the math
    Really, most taxi drivers I know earn that easily on the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Try to use Uber where I can
    Definitely….Uber or Bolt.

You do the math
    You can make that on a Friday and Saturday night ….easily.
    They should ban all Hackney cars….just let Uber and Bolt (and PH) take over.

Quote Originally Posted by G rangetown Blue View Post
    Cardiff Taxi drivers are the absolute worst, refusing short trips, making up fares….off the meter, and asking for fares to be paid ‘up front’.

Add to that, disgusting vehicles, with several ‘drivers’ sharing them…and the badges. It’s needs a complete overhaul.
    The last time I got into a Cardiff taxi was in about 2008.
    It was around 5.30pm, outside the Howell's department store taxi rank.
    I was carrying quite a few shopping bags and had not been drinking.
    I asked the driver to take me to Llanishen - he told me he wanted the fare upfront!
    I got out, got in the taxi behind and explained what had happened and off we went.

My neighbour is a 30 year old Pakistani
    I don’t know why he does the job to be honest
    The stories he tells of the abuse he gets from pissed up white passengers is alarming to say the least
    Racism?
    Yes definitely
    Get another job?
    He’s applied for dozens
    The poor fella is stuck in a rut
    Like I said
    He needs to earn £500 to cover the weeks expenses
    Once he’s earned that £500 then and only then he starts earning his own money

He works seven days a week twelve hours a day
    He drives a rented Audi A4 on a 17 plate
    He works for Uber and is licensed by Newport Council

Several days this week he’d come home and only earned £40 odd pounds in the whole 12 hours

Being self employed whilst the majority of the UK were on furlough he had to apply for Universal Credit

If anyone on here has a vacancy please PM me and I’ll be sure to pass on
    It would make his day !!

You do the math
    The math

The stories he tells of the abuse he gets from pissed up white passengers is alarming to say the least
    Racism?
    Yes definitely
    Get another job?
    He’s applied for dozens
    Like I said

Several days this week he’d come home and only earned £40 odd pounds in the whole 12 hours

Being self employed whilst the majority of the UK were on furlough he had to apply for Universal Credit

It would make his day !!
    1 uber trip from the suburbs to the city centre and vice versa is about a tenner. There's plenty of people making that journey daily and at all times.
    I'm doing the math and I'm struggling to work out how in 12 hours he's only making 40 quid.

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    1 uber trip from the suburbs to the city centre and vice versa is about a tenner. There's plenty of people making that journey daily and at all times.
    I'm doing the math and I'm struggling to work out how in 12 hours he's only making 40 quid.
    Don’t you start Kev

I don't think I have ever felt ripped off by a cabbie

Too expensive yes but that's a different matter

The taxi trade suffered big style during covid

In Bridgend they had drivers doing nothing with no work so the amount of drivers around is now far less

Those that I have had to use have always been on time

And I always tip a fiver on top

You do the math
    He’s not even on minimum wage 😕
    Yep

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    It seems a very simple question but if it is that much work for so little reward then why do it?

Surely a job with half the hours doing something with minimal skill would outweigh the benefits of half killing yourself as a taxi driver if they are on less than minimum wage?
    That's life for many people

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    Well £500/7 = £71.42

Add on the £40 that's £111.42

11 round trips at a tenner a pop, plus an hour for lunch. That's your day gone.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    That's life for many people
    Those that chose to work

Racism?
    Yes definitely
    Get another job?
    He’s applied for dozens
    Like I said

It would make his day !!
    Ain't that the truth , the money for taxi drivers during covid was non existent

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Those that chose to work
    What about those that are not able to work ?

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Well £500/7 = £71.42

Add on the £40 that's £111.42

11 round trips at a tenner a pop, plus an hour for lunch. That's your day gone.
    1 trip an hour? I just don't see how there can be such a scarcity of passengers. There's always a steady stream of people getting into taxis at the various ranks by the station, castle and on St Mary street. I can't imagine any taxi is sitting there for ~40 mins.
    More often than not if I'm in an uber they'll be getting notifications about pick up requests and I'm only in the car for 10 or so minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    What about those that are not able to work ?
    This isn't what we were talking about.

The post was about people working for terrible wages

"This is life" you say

Aye.. for those of us that struggle daily to juggle X amount of other responsibilities and still go to work.

I don't recall people being unable to work being in question in the thread