+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sturgeon has gone and left the mess for someone else to sort out.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    First Team

Re: Sturgeon has gone and left the mess for someone else to sort out.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Not sure it's quite as simple as that, and of course it took Ireland many decades to catch up, but catch up they did and I don't doubt that an independent Wales or Scotland (or North East England, or Isle of Wight or any other land mass would go onto have as viable future with good governance. There is no relationship between state size and success, although of course in terms of natural resources, size can help

That is probably Wales' greatest strength. A disproportionately large amount of wind, tides, water etc. In other areas we could compete with Everywhere in time and with education, investment and tax policies etc.

Long term is probably fine then. Short term, I don't think so. We would face a very large budget shortfall almost immediately and I'm not sure who would lend to us to plug that gap with a realistic expectation of getting their money back.

The ideological and identity issue is different of course, as this is 'more heart than head' but even there I feel strongly British so I don't feel any great aching for independence in that respect either.

With young kids, I just don't see it as being worth the risk really and I have seen very little to convince me otherwise.
    I am asking this in a spirit of enquiry.

If you feel "British", why don't you relocate over the border? There is much more of that Billy Brit nonsense going on over there. (You do love borders, remember?)

I definitely feel Welsh ('though I am technically now an American). I even bought a home in Ceredigion last year because it felt more like "home" than Penylan.

Not sure it's quite as simple as that, and of course it took Ireland many decades to catch up, but catch up they did and I don't doubt that an independent Wales or Scotland (or North East England, or Isle of Wight or any other land mass would go onto have as viable future with good governance. There is no relationship between state size and success, although of course in terms of natural resources, size can help

That is probably Wales' greatest strength. A disproportionately large amount of wind, tides, water etc. In other areas we could compete with Everywhere in time and with education, investment and tax policies etc.

Long term is probably fine then. Short term, I don't think so. We would face a very large budget shortfall almost immediately and I'm not sure who would lend to us to plug that gap with a realistic expectation of getting their money back.

The ideological and identity issue is different of course, as this is 'more heart than head' but even there I feel strongly British so I don't feel any great aching for independence in that respect either.

With young kids, I just don't see it as being worth the risk really and I have seen very little to convince me otherwise.
    Ironically, apart from the young kids bit, that was my reason for voting remain. Not worth the risk.

First Team

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    Ironically, apart from the young kids bit, that was my reason for voting remain. Not worth the risk.
    I think you've spotted a fatal flaw in Jimbo's argument there.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    Yep, understandable. That was one of the main reasons people voted remain and largely explained why poorer people generally voted leave; because whatever the causes, the risks are more enticing when the status quo isn't serving you so well.

First Team

Yep, understandable. That was one of the main reasons people voted remain and largely explained why poorer people generally voted leave; because whatever the causes, the risks are more enticing when the status quo isn't serving you so well.
    "Poor people" in the UK are going to suffer a lot more from being outside the EU than in it. "Poor people" voted leave because they were fed an absolute torrent of lies.

Quote Originally Posted by az city View Post
    "Poor people" in the UK are going to suffer a lot more from being outside the EU than in it. "Poor people" voted leave because they were fed an absolute torrent of lies.
    Oh two tropes in one message. Excellent work AZ!

First Team

Oh two tropes in one message. Excellent work AZ!
    Ah ok. It seems the right have now translated the word "truth" into "trope". Classic culture war bollocks straight from the bowels of Tufton Street.

Ah ok. It seems the right have now translated the word "truth" into "trope". Classic culture war bollocks straight from the bowels of Tufton Street.
    "The right", "poor people are fed lies" and then you accuse others of culture war rhetoric! 🤣 Just because you say it it doesn't make it truth ya know..you are just pumping out tropes, hard to view it otherwise. Things are more complex than you present.

I am asking this in a spirit of enquiry.

If you feel "British", why don't you relocate over the border? There is much more of that Billy Brit nonsense going on over there. (You do love borders, remember?)

I definitely feel Welsh ('though I am technically now an American). I even bought a home in Ceredigion last year because it felt more like "home" than Penylan.
    Because Wales is part of Britain, and whatever decisions people make on where they live are made on a great number of factors not just identity.

Good for you on your multiple homes and identities ,👍

FpCvilmWYAAtC18.jpg

Thank god her reign of terror is over

First Team

Quote Originally Posted by Doucas View Post
    FpCvilmWYAAtC18.jpg

Thank god her reign of terror is over
    Great leader for Scotland.

First Team

Because Wales is part of Britain

Good for you on your multiple homes and identities ,��
    One home and one identity: Wales and Welsh.

I must have missed the agreement of Wales to become part of Billy Britland. Can you remind me when we Welsh agreed to that?

One home and one identity: Wales and Welsh.

I must have missed the agreement of Wales to become part of Billy Britland. Can you remind me when we Welsh agreed to that?
    There wasn't a referendum, but even if there was one several hundred years ago you can guarantee you would still be arguing about it.

First Team

There wasn't a referendum, but even if there was one several hundred years ago you can guarantee you would still be arguing about it.
    So you agree England occupied Wales. Is it OK with you to invade and subjugate neighbours?

So you agree England occupied Wales. Is it OK with you to invade and subjugate neighbours?
    Of course England occupied Wales. So did Wessex occupy Eastern England and Northumbria occupied the midlands and Norwegians occupied parts of Northern England. At one point in our history Danish Vikings from Ireland occupied what is now north west England. You are talking about something that happened many hundreds of years ago.

If you wish to apply that to the modern world that is up to you I suppose, but it's not a particularly smart thing to do, and it's certainly a divisive outlook. A lot has happened since. I don't think Arizonians had a vote on leaving Mexico and becoming part of the United States either, does that mean you accuse anyone living there of being OK with invading and subjugating neighbours?

You can't get invited to that many parties if so!