+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Wales Online Website

The Wales Online Website

What's the point of that thing ?

It's absolute garbage

Re: The Wales Online Website

To make us think we have a national media.

And to identify 21 bars in South Wales we MUST VISIT RIGHT NOW

Some kind of reckoning is needed for local news websites, that is, we need to start paying for local media again, even if it's by the article. I turn the adblocker off cos they need to get money from somewhere but then it's rubbish to navigate. Is there an option to subscribe? Would anyone? It's in a tough place so the desperate garbage is the price we pay.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    What's the point of that thing ?

It's absolute garbage
    You're just bitter because they don't post many articles about Liverpool FC.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post
    Some kind of reckoning is needed for local news websites, that is, we need to start paying for local media again, even if it's by the article. I turn the adblocker off cos they need to get money from somewhere but then it's rubbish to navigate. Is there an option to subscribe? Would anyone? It's in a tough place so the desperate garbage is the price we pay.
    I wouldn't pay for it no. I do sometimes but the Western Mail and occasionally the Echo but I feel you get something for that. I can't see myself, or many others paying for Wales Online.

It is a major issue though. We only really have two media organisations of note; the BBC and WalesOnline and it can all get a bit incestuous I think.

What I probably would be more likely to pay for is a weekly Welsh newspaper. I wonder if that is the way the Western Mail is going? More likely is it stops publishing all together I suspect.

It is a depressing state of affairs really because s strong media is critical in holding the powerful to account and just reflecting our own news. I don't have the survey to hand, but it's remarkable how many people in Wales don't even know that health, education etc is devolved.

There can't be many countries on earth so ignorant of itself than Wales can there?

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    I wouldn't pay for it no. I do sometimes but the Western Mail and occasionally the Echo but I feel you get something for that. I can't see myself, or many others paying for Wales Online.

It is a major issue though. We only really have two media organisations of note; the BBC and WalesOnline and it can all get a bit incestuous I think.

What I probably would be more likely to pay for is a weekly Welsh newspaper. I wonder if that is the way the Western Mail is going? More likely is it stops publishing all together I suspect.

It is a depressing state of affairs really because s strong media is critical in holding the powerful to account and just reflecting our own news. I don't have the survey to hand, but it's remarkable how many people in Wales don't even know that health, education etc is devolved.

There can't be many countries on earth so ignorant of itself than Wales can there?
    A trip to Scotland makes you realise how poor the media is in Wales.

BBC Scotland has around 2,500 hours of its own TV broadcasting, not including its Gaelic output. BBC Wales has around 750, not including its Welsh language output. A higher percentage of people in Scotland believe that BBC Scotland represents them than people in Wales believe that BBC Wales represents them (50% last time out).

Scotland doesn't have ITV, it has STV which is the only region not owned by ITV. It has significantly more of its own output than the feeble offerings from ITV Wales. It has its own online player and app. While it does broadcast most of ITV's content, all continuity is done in Scotland, much promoting its own programming.

Most daily newspapers have Scottish editions, which focus on Scottish news. You won't get a photo of England's footballers on the front page after a World Cup game for example, and news from the Scottish Parliament often takes precedence over news from Westminster. Papers are much less right wing and far less jingoistic about Britain. Scotland has a number of decent national newspapers.

Wales has 1 crap national paper and English versions of all the dailies.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post

BBC Scotland has around 2,500 hours of its own TV broadcasting, not including its Gaelic output. BBC Wales has around 750, not including its Welsh language output. A higher percentage of people in Scotland believe that BBC Scotland represents them than people in Wales believe that BBC Wales represents them (50% last time out).

Scotland doesn't have ITV, it has STV which is the only region not owned by ITV. It has significantly more of its own output than the feeble offerings from ITV Wales. It has its own online player and app. While it does broadcast most of ITV's content, all continuity is done in Scotland, much promoting its own programming.

Most daily newspapers have Scottish editions, which focus on Scottish news. You won't get a photo of England's footballers on the front page after a World Cup game for example, and news from the Scottish Parliament often takes precedence over news from Westminster. Papers are much less right wing and far less jingoistic about Britain. Scotland has a number of decent national newspapers.

We get what we deserve imo

When a huge percentage of the Welsh football watching public support Liverpool or Man United then no wonder the Welsh media is bullshit

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post
    I would still buy a western mail every day if it was any good

It's crap so I just get it on a Saturday and Monday now for the sport

But that's crap too

We have a lot of fake nationalism here

Dragons , national anthem

Then man United on the TV

It's all bollocks

I think a Saturday western mail would be a good idea for me but I get it already and it's crap

I think it will stop soon

Less than 8000 circulation

Western Mail .......less than 8000 daily circulation

Of course people are dumb these days and get everything off the Internet but that's still dreadful

The Echo .....7500

Absolute crap journalism in Wales mind , as JW says ......100 bars and clubs you MUST visit in Cardiff !

We get what we deserve imo

When a huge percentage of the Welsh football watching public support Liverpool or Man United then no wonder the Welsh media is bullshit
    Scotland has traditionally had a decent top division with big teams who have had success in Europe. Our big teams play in the English pyramid. It's hardly the same scenario. Even then there are plenty of Jocks who support a big PL team, so your reasoning based on Welsh fans supporting your beloved Liverpool or Man Utd is a bit of a nonsense.

Western Mail .......less than 8000 daily circulation

Of course people are dumb these days and get everything off the Internet but that's still dreadful

The Echo .....7500

Absolute crap journalism in Wales mind , as JW says ......100 bars and clubs you MUST visit in Cardiff !
    Are they still run by Mirror Group? Most local papers around the UK are and they're all subject to the same clickbait rubbish, presumably because it pays the bills.

To make us think we have a national media.

And to identify 21 bars in South Wales we MUST VISIT RIGHT NOW
    Thats unfair. Walesonline regularly provides quality journalism.

Where else would we get regular updates on the 50 hardest Welsh Rugby players of all time , an interview with David Bishop (we havent had an update on Bish his lack of caps and his punch up for months , I hope its coming soon.)

Today there is a brilliant article on the 50 foods we must eat in Wales before we die. Quality stuff.

Scotland has traditionally had a decent top division with big teams who have had success in Europe. Our big teams play in the English pyramid. It's hardly the same scenario. Even then there are plenty of Jocks who support a big PL team, so your reasoning based on Welsh fans supporting your beloved Liverpool or Man Utd is a bit of a nonsense.
    Scotland is a proud country

Wales isn't

What about the ‘comments’ section below the articles? Dai Goebbels from Bryncethin, Ianto Himmler from Neath, Meredith Mengele from Montgomeryshire. More right wing than Stanley Matthews but the rants are good for a chuckle on times.

Wales isn't
    It is, and Wales is becoming more patriotic

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    What about the ‘comments’ section below the articles? Dai Goebbels from Bryncethin, Ianto Himmler from Neath, Meredith Mengele from Montgomeryshire. More right wing than Stanley Matthews but the rants are good for a chuckle on times.
    Absolute feckwits

It is, and Wales is becoming more patriotic
    It's all talk

Election time they all vanish

Christ the Tories have a bigger vote than Plaid

Yeah the difference is enormous.

Welsh media is near non-existent, I wonder with the emergence of online media channels the likes of Nation Cymru and others, then it will improve but unlikely.

The sad truth is Wales is one of the most negative, pessimistic and afraid countries as a whole in the world. There is little passion or self belief, when things don’t work there is fear to try anything else.

Although after England having its foot on your throat for half a millennium will do those kind of things.

In terms of a “perfect” country in regards to potential for growth and prosperity Wales would be a great example. Near a major continent, a huge abundance of resource, coal, metals, water, renewables amongst other things, in a small fairly accessible country that is generally safeguarded from major disasters. All this and there is no money, infrastructure is disastrous, public services are crippled but people still believe the union is doing them a good job. I’m sceptical about independence but I’m certain that the union doesn’t work for Wales.

It breaks my heart, the Scottish and Irish mentality is light years ahead of us.

International

Russia?
    Brazil?
    North Korea?

and others

International

Wales isn't
    Most of Scotland is a sinkhole

Quote Originally Posted by Wozza16 View Post
    Welsh media is near non-existent, I wonder with the emergence of online media channels the likes of Nation Cymru and others, then it will improve but unlikely.
    '

Took a look at Nation Cymru, not something I've looked at before.

Went through the first ten pages on news and unsurprisingly there was not a single article with any semblance of criticism re Welsh government.

We've recently seen a number of transport related projects cancelled, not a peep of criticism.

A media entity pertaining to be something different, giving the news for Wales, sorry Cymru can only do that if it's truly independent. Its no better than WalesOnline.

Quote Originally Posted by logic View Post
    We've recently seen a number of transport related projects cancelled, not a peep of criticism.
    You aren't looking very hard. 2 of the 4 latest news articles on there are criticising the meal deal announcement and the decision to cancel road projects.

What's depressing about that site is the popular stories. Serious news barely gets a look in but I suppose that's a criticism of the readers rather than the publisher.