+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: National League Promotion Changes?

National League Promotion Changes?

I’ve been watching the title race between Wrexham and Notts County and it seems crazy to me that one of the two teams so far ahead of the others over a season could miss out on promotion. Is it time that the number of clubs going up and down needs to be looked at? If not an outright increase then maybe a play-off system like Scotland has between top and bottom of L2 and highest finishing non-promoted team from National League.

Re: National League Promotion Changes?

it is silly, needs to be 2 clubs, lets be honest, the gap between L2 and NL is nothing these days

It seems unfair I agree. I guess it's to retain the prestige of the football league but it does seem hard to justify really

Both teams on course to break the 105pt record set by Crawley, and yet one will have to compete in the playoffs.

Isn’t it changing to two automatics and one playoff winner next year?

Why does it change to just the 2 anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Cardiff-Cal View Post
    Both teams on course to break the 105pt record set by Crawley, and yet one will have to compete in the playoffs.

Isn’t it changing to two automatics and one playoff winner next year?
    Should have been this way all along. Ridiculous it isn't .

The national league is a graveyard for ex-league clubs at the moment. 14 there now, Scunthorpe going drop straight through. There’s another 6 at the tier below, albeit including some are Pheonix clubs.

Rochdale will struggle next year.

Promotion and relegation replaced re-election in 1986 according to Wikipedia.

Re-election (Football League) - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Re-ele...in%20with%2031.

Current Premier League clubs Crystal Palace and Bournemouth survived the process more than once. Rochdale did four times, and Cardiff City once.

How come teams like Gloucester, Banbury and Hereford are in the National League North?

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    Promotion and relegation replaced re-election in 1986 according to Wikipedia.

Re-election (Football League) - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Re-ele...in%20with%2031.

Current Premier League clubs Crystal Palace and Bournemouth survived the process more than once. Rochdale did four times, and Cardiff City once.
    According to Wikipedia Re-election was part of football for years & years. Newport were regular applicants. Usually a bit of an old boys thing. ‘Vote for us to stay in this season, you might be in the bottom 4 next season’.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    How come teams like Gloucester, Banbury and Hereford are in the National League North?

To even the numbers out most probably, they can have one league top heavy. It was the same in the Football League, Coventry have featured in both The Third Division (South) and Third Division (North) for example.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    The balance between teams from the North and South has been heavily weighted in favour of the latter. Mad as it may seem, Gloucester have been in the North Section for years.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    The balance between teams from the North and South has been heavily weighted in favour of the latter. Mad as it may seem, Gloucester have been in the North Section for years.
    That makes sense, there aren't any teams from the North in the National League South

There was a situation I remember probably about 10 years ago where in the first round of the league cup Nottm Forest were in the Northern section and Notts County in the southern section. And what are their grounds, 200 yds apart?

Southport are in the National League North....that might confuse a few lacking geographical knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    The national league is a graveyard for ex-league clubs at the moment. 14 there now, Scunthorpe going drop straight through. There’s another 6 at the tier below, albeit including some are Pheonix clubs.

Rochdale will struggle next year.
    Very sad in my.opinion. I keep rooting for the ex League clubs every year and I'd like some of the newer entrants to drop. Workington in particular so far away it's virtual oblivion. At least Bradford PA, Chester, Southport and Darlington are only one step away from the National League and it was good to see York and Gateshead return there last season.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    Very sad in my.opinion. I keep rooting for the ex League clubs every year and I'd like some of the newer entrants to drop. Workington in particular so far away it's virtual oblivion. At least Bradford PA, Chester, Southport and Darlington are only one step away from the National League and it was good to see York and Gateshead return there last season.
    It’s not just because we share the same nickname, but I’ve always had a soft spot for Barrow, they were right up there challenging for promotion in the first half of the season, but have fallen away lately, although they did have a very good win at Branford City yesterday.

Should just make it League 3 and be 2 autos and 1 play off team promoted.

All but 2 of the National League teams are fully professional these days.

It’s not just because we share the same nickname, but I’ve always had a soft spot for Barrow, they were right up there challenging for promotion in the first half of the season, but have fallen away lately, although they did have a very good win at Branford City yesterday.
    Me too, I'm so pleased Barrow seem to be stabilizing themselves in League 2 this season.

Darlington what are they doing these days ?

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    Should just make it League 3 and be 2 autos and 1 play off team promoted.

All but 2 of the National League teams are fully professional these days.
    I know a few players who play in the Southern League Division One ( which is one league below Weston super mare, Merthyr town etc ) and they are paying the players £350 - £400 a week, so while not professional, even thats getting close to it

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Darlington what are they doing these days ?
    National League North top half

https://youtu.be/nKaF6PyDN70

Ah, Branford City, reminds of teams that Nick Smith used to play against in ‘Its Goals That Count’ in The Hotspur or a team that Melchester Rovers had to best to clinch yet another double

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    According to Wikipedia Re-election was part of football for years & years. Newport were regular applicants. Usually a bit of an old boys thing. ‘Vote for us to stay in this season, you might be in the bottom 4 next season’.
    Newport were once voted out and got back in the following season.

This season Wrexham and Notts County would probably be challenging for promotion to League 1, if they were League 2 sides. Definitely needs to change to two automatic from the NL.