+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Whatever happened to this forum ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Whatever happened to this forum ?

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    I think that is supposed to be Paul writing to Timothy (2 Timothy 3:1-5). Truthpaste is a fan.
    I thought that it was Charlie Chaplin's Speech from 'The Great Dictator'

Quote Originally Posted by AfricanBluebird View Post
    You and I both TOBW.

Discussions used to be a bit more respectful and funnier.

Definitely something changed in the national psyche around the BREXIT vote.
    I wouldn't say it was all down to the referendum in that a similar divide has opened up in the US, for example, around Trump. I think the ubiquity of social media and people being able to choose news outlets which feed their particular world view have been massive influences on the divisions which have emerged. Once you've arrived a view on any issue you will find an enormous amount of info to confirm your belief and you can choose not to see any which might question your view. Previously, you had pretty much consistent output across TV and radio, although the choice in printed media was more varied.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Friday's Ghost View Post
    I wouldn't say it was all down to the referendum in that a similar divide has opened up in the US, for example, around Trump. I think the ubiquity of social media and people being able to choose news outlets which feed their particular world view have been massive influences on the divisions which have emerged. Once you've arrived a view on any issue you will find an enormous amount of info to confirm your belief and you can choose not to see any which might question your view. Previously, you had pretty much consistent output across TV and radio, although the choice in printed media was more varied.
    Correct, even if people chose to have a covid jab, there were people who got so wound up, they wanted them to die, and attitudes have gone ridiculously out of proportion.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    Ricky Gervais is very funny, I think his last show took things too far, but he has been one of the best comedy actors of recent times, I also agree he is just about at the end of his career. Never heard of that other bloke?
    Lee is an alternative comic like Ricky Gervais

Lee is apparently politically correct

Both very funny at times

International

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Lee is an alternative comic like Ricky Gervais

Lee is apparently politically correct

Both very funny at times
    Jesus, that's 6 minutes 18 seconds I'll never get back, the Emperor's new clothes spring to mind, no laughs but I smiled once in the last 10 seconds the rest is utter ****, oh sorry this is a be a nice thread, not very good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=fCV-M_TsoQM

Jesus, that's 6 minutes 18 seconds I'll never get back, the Emperor's new clothes spring to mind, no laughs but I smiled once in the last 10 seconds the rest is utter ****, oh sorry this is a be a nice thread, not very good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=fCV-M_TsoQM
    I got fed up after about 2 minutes

Never heard of the bloke and never want to on that performance

Jesus, that's 6 minutes 18 seconds I'll never get back….
    I hate to have to break this to you, but you’re never going to get any of your life back.

As for Stewart Lee being the emperor’s new clothes, the fact is he’s been on the comedy circuit since 1989. Brilliant performer with a big fanbase despite his limited publicity. Very clever comedian. Recently sold out two nights at St David’s Hall.

I appreciate he’s not everyone’s cup of tea, though. He won’t appeal to Tories or anyone who believes cutting and pasting LoM’s inane ramblings is a valuable use of their time.

International

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I hate to have to break this to you, but you’re never going to get any of your life back.

As for Stewart Lee being the emperor’s new clothes, the fact is he’s been on the comedy circuit since 1989. Brilliant performer with a big fanbase despite his limited publicity. Very clever comedian. Recently sold out two nights at St David’s Hall.

I appreciate he’s not everyone’s cup of tea, though. He won’t appeal to Tories or anyone who believes cutting and pasting LoM’s inane ramblings is a valuable use of their time.
    Wow filled St Davids Hall, how impressive I bet you could hear them laughing all the way down to the Hayes Island snack bar, fair play saying for example for 6 minutes, it is so funny!

Wow filled St Davids Hall, how impressive I bet you could hear them laughing all the way down to the Hayes Island snack bar, fair play saying for example for 6 minutes, it is so funny!
    I went to the second night. It was excellent. It’s all about context. Lee’s shows often last for more than two hours and much of the material is linked. It’s not a show full of one-liners. Therefore, brief clips don’t really tell the story.

Still, each to their own. I also like Ricky Gervais, although his latest show wasn’t a patch on Lee’s.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I went to the second night. It was excellent. It’s all about context. Lee’s shows often last for more than two hours and much of the material is linked. It’s not a show full of one-liners. Therefore, brief clips don’t really tell the story.

Still, each to their own. I also like Ricky Gervais, although his latest show wasn’t a patch on Lee’s.
    I'm a big fan of Stewart Lee too. A very funny and clever bloke IMO. No doubt he will grate on the Righty Headbangers.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    I'm a big fan of Stewart Lee too. A very funny and clever bloke IMO. No doubt he will grate on the Righty Headbangers.
    I hope you're not being nasty to the Righty Headbangers!

Stewart Lee is brilliant - and very funny.

Stewart Lee is superb, maybe people who allegedly don’t ‘get it’ are embarrassed that he’s making them look in the mirror.

International

Smiled twice, the same line repeated again for 3 minutes, and I'd already heard it before from someone else, as I hadn't heard of this bloke before despite his 34 years of hilarious comedy genius.

Definitely a case of the Emperor's New Clothes, someone said it's funny and people want to be in the same gang saying yes he's brilliant.

Definitely a case of the Emperor's New Clothes, someone said it's funny and people want to be in the same gang saying yes he's brilliant.
    Crazy, isn’t it? It’s almost as if a popular comedian who has been on the circuit for more than 30 years has lots of fans. Astonishing stuff.

when does the comedy start?

Quote Originally Posted by HiVis View Post
    when does the comedy start?
    Stewart lee is brilliant, but more for people who are into comedy than the casual viewers.

just like people who are really into music are likely to have different tastes to people who just listen to the popular stuff.

I also find that quite often Lee's jokes are mostly for his own entertainment, at the audience's expense, seeing how far he can push it

When did this come in ?

Great line

I value good comedic timing and great build ups like the next person but this is just like listening to somebody with dementia, it's unbearable, according to the logic of this messageboard that somehow makes me right wing!?

Quote Originally Posted by Splott-light... View Post
    I value good comedic timing and great build ups like the next person but this is just like listening to somebody with dementia, it's unbearable, according to the logic of this messageboard that somehow makes me right wing!?
    People with Dementia can be very funny sometimes.

Stewart Lee is by far the best comedian around. I dint actually agree with all his views but I don't find it matters too much. Extraordinarily clever.

No I'm always sweet to the Headbangers 😉. Brilliant clip Jon, absolutely hilarious and bang on!

Ricky Gervais is very funny, I think his last show took things too far, but he has been one of the best comedy actors of recent times, I also agree he is just about at the end of his career. Never heard of that other bloke?
    I like Gervais.

People can't just pick and choose what's funny or not because it suits them.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    I like Gervais.

He's alright - a bit tedious - we get it Ricky, you don't believe in God and think religion sucks. Talk about flogging a dead horse.

I though Derek was very underrated - Afterlife had a few decent lines but just a bit boring.

I don't post too much these days due to other commitments but I think this board is still pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by AfricanBluebird View Post
    He's alright - a bit tedious - we get it Ricky, you don't believe in God and think religion sucks. Talk about flogging a dead horse.

I though Derek was very underrated - Afterlife had a few decent lines but just a bit boring.

I don't post too much these days due to other commitments but I think this board is still pretty good.
    when Gervais is good, he's very good.
    half the time though he clearly can't be arsed and just phones it in.
    went to see him do a stand-up on science and it was pretty crap, he had the kernel of a good show but clearly hadn't put any work into it.
    the original office in contrast was clearly finely crafted

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    I like Gervais.

Who gets to choose what's funny then? I thought that's exactly how it works.