+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: which star was obliterated their sport ?

Re: which star was obliterated their sport ?

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    Shirley that can't be true

Quote Originally Posted by Cardiff-Cal View Post
    Not a snooker fan but does Ronnie o Sullivan deserve a mention?
    I mentioned Joe Davis earlier in the thread, won the World Championship 14 years on the trot, break for WW2, then won his 15th in 1946. The only undefeated player in World Championship history. Scorer of the first World Championship century break.He stopped playing in the World Championship after his last win, playing in other tournaments & exhibitions. Won four News of the World titles and made the first officially recognised maximum break in 1955. The only player to beat him in a competitive snooker match without receiving a start was his younger brother Fred.

Oh, and also won the World Billiards title four times.

Beat that Ronnie

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    I mentioned Joe Davis earlier in the thread, won the World Championship 14 years on the trot, break for WW2, then won his 15th in 1946. The only undefeated player in World Championship history. Scorer of the first World Championship century break.He stopped playing in the World Championship after his last win, playing in other tournaments & exhibitions. Won four News of the World titles and made the first officially recognised maximum break in 1955. The only player to beat him in a competitive snooker match without receiving a start was his younger brother Fred.

Oh, and also won the World Billiards title four times.

Beat that Ronnie
    Ronnie is arguably most natural player in the modern era but he hasn’t obliterated the sport.

Only reason I still tune in though.

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    Phil Taylor dominated darts for years
    Competition wasn’t has strong as it is now but can’t argue he was relentless in his pursuit of winning.

Even though I can’t stand the arrogant sex case.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Competition wasn’t has strong as it is now but can’t argue he was relentless in his pursuit of winning.

Even though I can’t stand the arrogant sex case.
    Me neither, he’s a twat but can’t doubt his talent

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Ronnie is arguably most natural player in the modern era but he hasn’t obliterated the sport.

Only reason I still tune in though.
    I s’pose snooker is one of the games/sports that has parity over the years. A century break is the same achievement whether it’s sixty years ago or sixty minutes ago. Same table, same pockets, same balls, same cues (are cues still the same? I’m not sure whether they’ve evolved like other sports equipment). Joe Davis could probably play Ronnie O’Sullivan on an equal physical footing unlike most other sports.

I s’pose snooker is one of the games/sports that has parity over the years. A century break is the same achievement whether it’s sixty years ago or sixty minutes ago. Same table, same pockets, same balls, same cues (are cues still the same? I’m not sure whether they’ve evolved like other sports equipment). Joe Davis could probably play Ronnie O’Sullivan on an equal physical footing unlike most other sports.
    Possibly. Think the balls and cloth are beter these days but certainly not the difference of a football pitch, tennis racket or golf club for example

Ronnie O Sullivan gives a lot of credit for Ray Reardon taking him to another level

I think Ray Reardon was definitely the best player around at the start of the snooker boom of the late 70s/80s until the advent of Steve Davies - on the subject of that era, watched a nice tribute to Doug Mountjoy on I Player last week.

Rocky Balboa gotta be worth a mention

Totally different game these days and the level of play has increased exponentially.
    Whilst Joe Davies was undoubtedly the best at the time, the first century break wasn't until the 9th World Championships (by someone else). In one tournament the highest break was 46. By contrast, Shaun Murphy hit 5 centuries yesterday in the final against Ali Carter. In the Welsh Open a week or so ago he has breaks of 145 and 147 in successive frames.
    No doubt that Joe Davies dominated the game early on but he wouldn't get anywhere near today's players.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Totally different game these days and the level of play has increased exponentially.
    Whilst Joe Davies was undoubtedly the best at the time, the first century break wasn't until the 9th World Championships (by someone else). In one tournament the highest break was 46. By contrast, Shaun Murphy hit 5 centuries yesterday in the final against Ali Carter. In the Welsh Open a week or so ago he has breaks of 145 and 147 in successive frames.
    No doubt that Joe Davies dominated the game early on but he wouldn't get anywhere near today's players.
    But the thread is ‘Which Star Has Obliterated Their Sport?’. Joe Davis obviously did.

But the thread is ‘Which Star Has Obliterated Their Sport?’. Joe Davis obviously did.
    My father played both Joe & Fred at the New Park Social Club on City Road

I was responding to Splotts point about Joe Davis taking on Ronnie.

Anyway, moving on - Eric Bristow in the early 80s

Sergey Bubka dominated pole vaulting, no one came close.

First Team

Daley Thompson dominated his sport over , what was then, an unbelievable period.

William Wilson, active in athletics for about 150 years, wasn’t it?