+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Attendances in the 80’s…..

Attendances in the 80’s…..

Joined a group mainly about old lost grounds on fb, a guy always posts scores/ attendances in every league from random times over the last 30 years or so. Quite surprised to see how low some are compared to nowadays…..
    Birmingham forest less than 13000, Everton 17000, Sunderland Man City 15000, spurs 23,000, Chelsea v Blackburn less than 7000 in what’s now the championship……

Saturday February 26th 1983

Division 1
    BIRMINGHAM CITY v FOREST

BRIGHTON & HA v STOKE

EVERTON V SWANSEA

Ipswich v Luton Town

MANCHESTER UNITED V LIVERPOOL

NOTTS COUNTY v COVENTRY CITY.

SUNDERLAND v MANCHESTER CITY

TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR v ASTON VILLA

WEST BROMWICH ALBION v ARSENAL

WATFORD V VILLA

WEST HAM UNITED v SOUTHAMPTON

Championship / div 2

BARNSLEY V ROTHERHAM UNITED

BOLTON V MIDDLESBROUGH

BURNLEY v CHARLTON ATHLETIC

CARLISLE UNITED v LEEDS UNITED

CHELSEA v BLACKBURN ROVERS

DERBY COUNTY v GRIMSBY TOWN

FULHAM v NEWCASTLE UNITED

LEICESTER V WOLVES

OLDHAM ATHLETIC v CRYSTAL PALACE

SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY. V CAMBRIDGE UNITED

SHREWSBURY TOWN v QUEENS PARK RANGERS

Re: Attendances in the 80’s…..

Hooliganism was a major issue , I think nearly every away game I went to resulted in something happening.

3,000 - 5,000 in NP was like a ghost ground some week nights. The nearest person on the Bob bank could be 50 yds away

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    3,000 - 5,000 in NP was like a ghost ground some week nights. The nearest person on the Bob bank could be 50 yds away
    We were on the Bob Bank, last seats in the corner, Grangetown End. One game against Rochdale, I think, there wasn’t a soul in front of us all the way down to the terracing fence. The ball was hoofed clear by a City defender all the way up to us. I picked it up and punted it, one bounce on the terrace, over the fence and the Rochdale, again I’m sure it was them, player caught it with a ‘Cheers mate’ to me as if it was over Pontcanna or The Racecourse

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    Hooliganism was a major issue , I think nearly every away game I went to resulted in something happening.
    Sure, didn’t know clubs like spurs and arsenal got around 20/25,000 most of the time….saw some figures from fa cup games and all attendances were a lot bigger than league games. I guess it was a big deal back then….

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Which made the goal celebration hugs all the more memorable, with the slow motion run-up and the soft music playing over the tannoy.

Sometimes it felt like a big crowd if you couldn't get your own barrier to lean on.

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    Is there any need to derail another thread for a pissing contest with sludge?
    On a side note, I think it was quite a common thing to do, me and four others had to duck into a book shop store room in Newport around 1988 just to lie low until the next train to Paddington after an incident on the train resulting in us all having to jump off a moving train at Newport station…..it was a very long arduous day to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Joined a group mainly about old lost grounds on fb, a guy always posts scores/ attendances in every league from random times over the last 30 years or so. Quite surprised to see how low some are compared to nowadays…..
    Birmingham forest less than 13000, Everton 17000, Sunderland Man City 15000, spurs 23,000, Chelsea v Blackburn less than 7000 in what’s now the championship……

Saturday February 26th 1983

Division 1
    BIRMINGHAM CITY v FOREST

BRIGHTON & HA v STOKE

EVERTON V SWANSEA

Ipswich v Luton Town

MANCHESTER UNITED V LIVERPOOL

NOTTS COUNTY v COVENTRY CITY.

SUNDERLAND v MANCHESTER CITY

TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR v ASTON VILLA

WEST BROMWICH ALBION v ARSENAL

WATFORD V VILLA

WEST HAM UNITED v SOUTHAMPTON

Championship / div 2

BARNSLEY V ROTHERHAM UNITED

BOLTON V MIDDLESBROUGH

BURNLEY v CHARLTON ATHLETIC

CARLISLE UNITED v LEEDS UNITED

CHELSEA v BLACKBURN ROVERS

DERBY COUNTY v GRIMSBY TOWN

FULHAM v NEWCASTLE UNITED

LEICESTER V WOLVES

OLDHAM ATHLETIC v CRYSTAL PALACE

SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY. V CAMBRIDGE UNITED

SHREWSBURY TOWN v QUEENS PARK RANGERS

Notts County in the top flight.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dwr View Post
    One of my first games down the City was against Nots County.

I was in awe of John Chedozie

https://www.11v11.com/matches/cardif...h-1985-121555/

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dwr View Post
    Oxford, Stockport, tranmere, Grimsby and bury appear to be in the 2nd tier most of the time too….mostly non league last few years aren’t they?

Awestruck you may have been but Cheidozie was 8 months into his Spurs career when we were thrashed that Sunday.

Attendance 3631

It got worse , far worse

The smallest crowd I watched CCFC at home in a league game was 1800 v Wrexham

Christ it's almost unbelievable to imagine a football match going on with so few people in the ground

Football has definitely come a long way and mostly for the better.

The question I suppose is whether it's gone too far 'the other way'?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Sometimes it felt like a big crowd if you couldn't get your own barrier to lean on.
    I remember it well!

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Attendance 3631

It got worse , far worse

The smallest crowd I watched CCFC at home in a league game was 1800 v Wrexham

Christ it's almost unbelievable to imagine a football match going on with so few people in the ground
    I've watched a few games under 2000. No league games though. I wasn't around in the '90s. Mid '80s was the low point for me. Alan Durban. Grim. The Bob bank had no seats and it was ****ing huge. You'd see little pockets of mates scattered around. You could easily stand 20-30 yards away from each other.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I've watched a few games under 2000. No league games though. I wasn't around in the '90s. Mid '80s was the low point for me. Alan Durban. Grim. The Bob bank had no seats and it was ****ing huge. You'd see little pockets of mates scattered around. You could easily stand 20-30 yards away from each other.
    Late 80s, early 90s(?), Friday night game. We had a session on Hurlimanns and in fairness due to age and drinking prowess shouldn't have strayed from the usual Hemeling or Hofmeister.

Mate of mine was able to get into the ground and have a decent sleep on the Bob Bank without a soul disturbing him.

Hurlimanns could send a horse to sleep mind.

I remember a crowd attendance of 6000 v Bolton seeing people get excited and suggesting the crowds are back.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    Late 80s, early 90s(?), Friday night game. We had a session on Hurlimanns and in fairness due to age and drinking prowess shouldn't have strayed from the usual Hemeling or Hofmeister.

Mate of mine was able to get into the ground and have a decent sleep on the Bob Bank without a soul disturbing him.

Hurlimanns could send a horse to sleep mind.

I remember a crowd attendance of 6000 v Bolton seeing people get excited and suggesting the crowds are back.
    I remember one night match late 80’s or early 90’s it got really foggy towards the end of the game, from the back of the BB for a while we couldn’t see anyone else or the pitch….reckon it would have been called off but there was only 10/15 mins left.

I hijacked an Aberavon ladies supporters club shopping trip to London in 1982 and me and my mate went to watch Chelsea Burnley in the old 2nd Division. Crowd was under 7,000. 6,800 as I recall

In the eighties, you could park in one of the office/factory car parks across the road from the ground at five to three and be on the Bob Bank just in time to see the kick off - I think I’m right in saying that the Buchanan goal against the jacks game was the last one at Ninian Park of the seventies, there was20,000 plus there for that hame, but I can’t remember City getting a crowd that big through the eighties.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    I remember one night match late 80’s or early 90’s it got really foggy towards the end of the game, from the back of the BB for a while we couldn’t see anyone else or the pitch….reckon it would have been called off but there was only 10/15 mins left.
    I remember (?) a match v Mansfield where no one could see the pitch on a Friday night.

My thoughts could be influenced by the Hurlimanns mind?

Some 1980 FA cup attendances…..always seem to be a lot bigger than league. Everton, arsenal, Villa and Liverpool over 40,000 and spurs almost 50,000 v Birmingham, almost twice their league crowds. How times have changed with the PL.

BLACKBURN ROVERS.............. 1 (0) ASTON VILLA.................................. 1 (1)

BOLTON WANDERERS..................... 1 (1) ARSENAL..

EVERTON v WREXHAM

IPSWICH TOWN V CHESTER

LIVERPOOL V BURY......

TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR.................3 (3) BIRMINGHAM CITY ......................... 1 (1)
    Gerry Armstrong
    Keith Bertschin
    Glenn Hoddle 2-1 penalty

WEST HAM UNITED......................... 2 (0) SWANSEA CITY............................... 0 (0)
    Paul Allen
    David Cross

WOLVES v WATFORD.

Tuesday February 19th 1980
    ARSENAL v BOLTON

Wednesday February 20th 1980
    ASTON VILLA V BLACKBURN

I remember (?) a match v Mansfield where no one could see the pitch on a Friday night.

That could be the one….reasonable crowd too but no one at all in lower grandstand or grange end so looked like no one was there anyway.

Btw I always remember the four bars selling Hurlimans, a few pints and chaos would ensue, lethal stuff. What happened to it? Was it banned?

Yep it was engulfed by a pea soup cloud

We beat them 3 -2