+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Ridiculousness Down The City

Re: Ridiculousness Down The City

Having the QPR cup takings stolen from the ground. Only could happen down the City.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario Miethig View Post
    Having the QPR cup takings stolen from the ground. Only could happen down the City.
    Not quite, I seem to recall our West Walian friends having a similar situation with a certain Tony Pretty.
    Hardly a boast but I'd say his 'era' was far more ridiculous than anything at CCFC.

On the ridiculousness scale it's fairly low, but I have always found it curious that the GMB have sponsored the back page of the programme for decades now.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I’m certain it was a Friday night and it was indeed freezing. It was the most miserable walk back to central station I can remember, and there have been a few grim ones. I think the next couple of games were postponed due to the freezing conditions and then City went on an unbeaten run when things resumed.
    If i remember we were behind the goal on a terrace that had crumbling concrete under foot?
    To the right near the halfway line was a scaffolding platform with plastic chairs on and to the left a cricket pitch?

Quote Originally Posted by stan butler View Post
    If i remember we were behind the goal on a terrace that had crumbling concrete under foot?
    To the right near the halfway line was a scaffolding platform with plastic chairs on and to the left a cricket pitch?
    That’s the place, Stan. Incredible ground, as in incredibly bad.

The green curtain hiding the view of the away fans …..

That’s the place, Stan. Incredible ground, as in incredibly bad.
    I seem to remember The Shay being not much better?

Quote Originally Posted by stan butler View Post
    I seem to remember The Shay being not much better?
    At least the Shay had four sides to it. Wigan’s old ground Springfield Park had one of the grimmest away ends I can remember. Basically, a muddy bank with zero facilities of any sort.

At least the Shay had four sides to it. Wigan’s old ground Springfield Park had one of the grimmest away ends I can remember. Basically, a muddy bank with zero facilities of any sort.
    I visited The Shay back in 1997, we beat Halifax 2-1, goals from jon Williams and Dai Thomas, it was a friday night and the beginning of a fantastic run of form. Strange ground, the one stand is built into a steep bank.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I visited The Shay back in 1997, we beat Halifax 2-1, goals from jon Williams and Dai Thomas, it was a friday night and the beginning of a fantastic run of form. Strange ground, the one stand is built into a steep bank.
    1998 actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Really weird stand. It's a nice stadium now, though but it is way too big for Halifax. It has HBS spelt out in that stand you mention, after the rugby league side's old and short lived name, Halifax Blue Sox .