+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ridiculousness Down The City

Re: Ridiculousness Down The City

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    Are you the fella from Llantwit that used to post links to his Twitter? Had you down as younger. Closer to 40.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Which of the 37 occasions are you referring to? ��
    Well, we've all got our personal favourites.

Samesh Kumar offering his resignation to the board, thinking they'd refuse until they said okay cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Are you the fella from Llantwit that used to post links to his Twitter? Had you down as younger. Closer to 40.
    No not from Llantwit

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    No not from Llantwit

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post
    Well, we've all got our personal favourites.
    Mine would be February 1991: Cardiff City 1 Aldershot 3. Attendance at Ninian Park - 1,629.

Players' wages unpaid, under a transfer embargo, being sued by the council over unpaid bills, a winding-up order in the High Court over a variety of debts, a black and white programme consisting of four pages because the club couldn't afford to pay the printers for a proper one and a comedy pitch. About a third of it had been completely cleared of snow, but the rest just had the lines cut out as the club didn't have enough ground staff to clear the whole pitch.

Earlier in the season, the team had been knocked out of the FA Cup by Hayes and the Welsh Cup by Merthyr. I left Ninian Park after that woeful Aldershot defeat believing the club was dead. The situation seemed utterly hopeless. It felt like it was certain to be the Bluebirds' final game.

However, in true Cardiff City fashion, the club somehow scraped up enough money to stay alive, while the team won five and drew four of its next nine games. By the time April came around, City were play-off contenders and were beating Northampton in front of the biggest crowd of the season - a bumper 4,805.

Those were the days.

What about the time the club persuaded the fans to fund the purchase of a player - one Kurt Nogan - via the sale of club shares? I think it was during the 2000-01 season? Nogan went on to score just once in eighteen league games, though he did slightly better in the Welsh Cup, or whatever it was called in those days. Still, City went up at the end of the season, so you could argue that it worked.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Sam Hammam years were great in my opinion. Perhaps not on as solid a foundations as we would have liked but the club moved forward enormously in those few years.

And more than anything else it was fun, and it was cool to be a City fan and sometimes that kinda thing does matter
    The couple of seasons in the third tier around the turn of the millennium were good fun. Our support was top notch home and away and there was a bit of a buzz around the club. After the 80s and 90s, you could see why it was easy as fans we got carried away.

Mine would be February 1991: Cardiff City 1 Aldershot 3. Attendance at Ninian Park - 1,629.

Players' wages unpaid, under a transfer embargo, being sued by the council over unpaid bills, a winding-up order in the High Court over a variety of debts, a black and white programme consisting of four pages because the club couldn't afford to pay the printers for a proper one and a comedy pitch. About a third of it had been completely cleared of snow, but the rest just had the lines cut out as the club didn't have enough ground staff to clear the whole pitch.

Earlier in the season, the team had been knocked out of the FA Cup by Hayes and the Welsh Cup by Merthyr. I left Ninian Park after that woeful Aldershot defeat believing the club was dead. The situation seemed utterly hopeless. It felt like it was certain to be the Bluebirds' final game.

However, in true Cardiff City fashion, the club somehow scraped up enough money to stay alive, while the team won five and drew four of its next nine games. By the time April came around, City were play-off contenders and were beating Northampton in front of the biggest crowd of the season - a bumper 4,805.

Those were the days.
    did we beat Northampton by Carl Dale chipping in from about 30 yards out?

edit: according to youtube, the chip happened in the Sep 1991 game, so probably the season after the aldershot game.

Quote Originally Posted by HiVis View Post
    Not this game, Dale joined during the following summer.

City beat Northampton 3-2 at Ninian in 91/92 with Dale scoring two, so perhaps it was a goal in that game you're thinking of.

Northampton away was a mad day around 88,I think we lost 4-1 , the stadium was falling to bits

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    What about the time the club persuaded the fans to fund the purchase of a player - one Kurt Nogan - via the sale of club shares? I think it was during the 2000-01 season?
    It was 1999/2000 - the season before Sam Hammam rolled into town. Nogan was supposed to score the goals that kept City up. He didn't and the team was relegated. Again.

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    Northampton away was a mad day around 88,I think we lost 4-1 , the stadium was falling to bits
    1986. The County Ground was one of the most bizarre in the league, with the cricket pitch on one side. I can remember us singing:

You've got a cowshed over there,
    You've got a Subbuteo grandstand over there,
    You've got **** all over there,
    You've got the worst ground in the land.

1986. The County Ground was one of the most bizarre in the league, with the cricket pitch on one side. I can remember us singing:

You've got a cowshed over there,
    You've got a Subbuteo grandstand over there,
    You've got **** all over there,
    You've got the worst ground in the land.

I was at that game, Boxing day? Northampton pissed the league that season if memory serves.

Not this game, Dale joined during the following summer.

City beat Northampton 3-2 at Ninian in 91/92 with Dale scoring two, so perhaps it was a goal in that game you're thinking of.
    yeah it was. pike had a moment of brilliance in that game, setting up the third.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I was at that game, Boxing day? Northampton pissed the league that season if memory serves.
    Not quite, Christmas holidays, December 28th. I remember going over there in Dafydd's car (or it may have been Phil's) and parking in an area that was a nightmare to get back to after the game. The crowd was 11,000+, which was about as much as that place held. We were on that open concrete embankment behind the goal.

You're right, Northampton won the league doing cartwheels. That was the City's first season in the old Division Four. Last game of the season, a 4-0 victory over Hartlepool, saw the lowest-ever league crowd - 1,334. The Ninian Park glory days everyone talks about.

Not quite, Christmas holidays, December 28th. I remember going over there in Dafydd's car (or it may have been Phil's) and parking in an area that was a nightmare to get back to after the game. The crowd was 11,000+, which was about as much as that place held. We were on that open concrete embankment behind the goal.

You're right, Northampton won the league doing cartwheels. That was the City's first season in the old Division Four. Last game of the season, a 4-0 victory over Hartlepool, saw the lowest-ever league crowd - 1,334. The Ninian Park glory days everyone talks about.

Us, Swansea and Wrexham were in the dungeon that season. What were County doing, had they dropped out by then or were they in the 3rd division? surely not!

Us, Swansea and Wrexham were in the dungeon that season. What were County doing, had they dropped out by then or were they in the 3rd division? surely not!
    County were busy finishing rock bottom of Division Three.

Meanwhile, in the basement, Wrexham finished 9th, the Swans finished 12th and City finished 13th.

County were busy finishing rock bottom of Division Three.

Meanwhile, in the basement, Wrexham finished 9th, the Swans finished 12th and City finished 13th.
    Bloody hell, Newport were wales' no 1 team. I didn't think that had ever happened.

Bloody hell, Newport were wales' no 1 team. I didn't think that had ever happened.
    In 85/86, County finished 19th in Division Three, City finished 22nd (relegated) and the Swans were bottom, while Wrexham were mid-table in Division Four. So Newport were the top of the four piss-poor Welsh clubs two years on the trot.

Those were the days.
    I remember that game. A freezing Friday night with Nathan Blake at centre-half? Ian Stewart ran the show for them. Barclays sponsored the league at the time and apparently each branch were given two season tickets. I knew someone who worked in the town branch and he said no-one ever took (dis)advantage so me and a mate nabbed them for the night. The folly of youth.

There's paper cut Outs on the wall of a cafe we go to now and again around St Julian's with something like that on the wall, the final league table. Ain't been there for a while but remember seeing it and thinking how weird it was

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post
    I remember that game. A freezing Friday night with Nathan Blake at centre-half?.
    I’m certain it was a Friday night and it was indeed freezing. It was the most miserable walk back to central station I can remember, and there have been a few grim ones. I think the next couple of games were postponed due to the freezing conditions and then City went on an unbeaten run when things resumed.

Quote Originally Posted by HiVis View Post

edit: according to youtube, the chip happened in the Sep 1991 game, so probably the season after the aldershot game.
    I can remember that game, November 91, about five weeks before Maidstone trounced us on New Years Day. I’d say Dale’s chip was further out than thirty yards - the Northampton keeper was stranded about twenty yards from goal as the ball sailed over his head.

Quote Originally Posted by blue sky View Post
    The firework display at our last match at NP which was as damp and lifeless as the performance
    I remember that - they would have been better off having no fireworks at all rather than that pathetic couple of bangers and a rocket.

The Newcastle choir was cringey beyond belief. Having stewards sit down at the front with their backs to the game - just watching fans is also a bit creepy.

Quote Originally Posted by pipster View Post
    I remember that - they would have been better off having no fireworks at all rather than that pathetic couple of bangers and a rocket.

The Newcastle choir was cringey beyond belief. Having stewards sit down at the front with their backs to the game - just watching fans is also a bit creepy.
    Wouldn't want the poor bastards watching the game would we..