+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What sports or Hobbies did you do, or are still doing?

Re: What sports or Hobbies did you do, or are still doing?

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    Ive done a few, I tend to throw myself into things with all I have, I might have addictive issue

judo ( represented Wales ) and Boxing as a teen, played football upto adult age, I dabbled in American football in school, after I left school I got well into mountain biking ( had a sponsored bike ) but came of my bike and tore all 4 ankle ligaments I never quite recovered and it always struggled with the peddle movement, though I am getting back into it at the mo, doing lite trails etc

then I got into Drinking and then the Rave scene in the late 80's / early 90's

Currently really enjoying Football coaching, doing my Lv 2 netball course in the summer, so I can do coach that ( ive helped out at 2 local clubs in the past, but nothing too serious )
    Good for you mate. Always good to keep learning and adapting.

Football and rugby as a kid along with golf
    Running in my 20/30s
    Cycling for the past 20 years
    Play bowls outdoor April to August
    Golf is now my main sport, playing to a lower handicap than at any time in my life (at 65) 14
    also play darts for local pub on a Weds

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    That's an interesting take on things. I always viewed looking after one's children as a sense of duty (from which, obviously, one can derive pleasure).
    Now it's been highlighted, I'm the same. I have never looked at parenting in the sense of doing it because I have to/it's my responsibility etc. The way tuerto says it seems nicer. Apart from making sure she does her schoolwork the rest of the time we spend together is doing things we both like.

Quote Originally Posted by celever View Post
    I wanted to play football when I was in school but I went to a rugby school. Why couldn't the teachers see that the 30-a-side game with half a tennis ball at play time was a hint that football was more popular than rugby. Had to join the BB to play football. The Boys Brigade league was quite big in Cardiff 50 years ago. About 30 years ago I did some coaching badges and managed a boys team. Finished all that now.

In retirement I do a bit of family history and mess about with my stamp collection. I still have a part-time job that sends me to Germany every two weeks. So I suppose my hobby now is drinking the 20 litres of German beer I bring home. I have to get all those bottles empty so I can take the crates and bottles back and get my deposit back.
    Great retirement

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Now it's been highlighted, I'm the same. I have never looked at parenting in the sense of doing it because I have to/it's my responsibility etc. The way tuerto says it seems nicer. Apart from making sure she does her schoolwork the rest of the time we spend together is doing things we both like.
    But we can get bored with hobbies and give up on them. Parenting, on the other hand...

But we can get bored with hobbies and give up on them. Parenting, on the other hand...
    Maybe for me it's because I have her at weekends. I still speak to her daily via facetime and interact with her mum and step dad. But like a hobby I enjoy the time I spend with her, time is precious, so I try to make the most of it every time I pick her up.

I suppose there are plenty that look at it differently.

Maybe for me it's because I have her at weekends. I still speak to her daily via facetime and interact with her mum and step dad. But like a hobby I enjoy the time I spend with her, time is precious, so I try to make the most of it every time I pick her up.

Without getting into any of your private life, which is none of mine or anyone else's business - I can fully understand why, if your daughter was bored watching the City, you don't go to any home games anymore.

You've obviously put your daughter's interests ahead of your own.

Without getting into any of your private life, which is none of mine or anyone else's business - I can fully understand why, if your daughter was bored watching the City, you don't go to any home games anymore.

You've obviously put your daughter's interests ahead of your own.
    Nah mate it's fine, I only put on here what I'm happy to speak about. Appreciate the way you went about your post though :D

We tried the city thing it didn't work out, she still likes football though. It's not much to sacrifice, having happy kids is absolutely ****ing priceless to be honest. And also good for them as it gives them a better shot at lifem... Whatever she wants to do when she's with me we do

Fly fishing

International

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Do you find learning more difficult as you get older-Processing information, remembering stuff etc?
    You are supposed to try and learn new things, like languages as you get older to keep the brain going and it helps reduce your chances of getting dementia.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Packerman View Post
    Football and rugby as a kid along with golf
    Running in my 20/30s
    Cycling for the past 20 years
    Play bowls outdoor April to August
    Golf is now my main sport, playing to a lower handicap than at any time in my life (at 65) 14
    also play darts for local pub on a Weds
    Where do you play, I played off 12 in my 20's, going to start playing again now ready for when I retire. Did you get down gradually, did you have to play more often?

Formed Malpas FC in 1988, Coached and Managed Under 16’s, Under 18’s and Gwent County. Gained FAW Coaching badge. Nowadays into painting by numbers, not as easy as one would think.

International

Football in school, Judo, and skateboarding from 11 to about 16.
    Football again Saturday and Sunday till 27, first child, so gave up.
    Golf, squash and cricket 20's
    Just swimming and gym till 50.
    Walking, and mountain biking now, will get an electric mountain bike this year, and just about to play golf again!
    Not much reading, watching Netflix, plenty of holidays, and going to the pub, and of course Cardiff City, and spending far too long now on here.

International

Too true, make the most of it, the time flies

Although a stigma is now being attached to it for environmental reasons, travel has always been a huge interest of mine, as you may have guessed. I don't go to countries merely to tick them off and I love learning about them in advance, travelling independently and getting to know the locals (and couchsurfing along the way). Two months from now I'll be visiting what will be my 70th country.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    Too true, make the most of it, the time flies

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    Formed Malpas FC in 1988, Coached and Managed Under 16’s, Under 18’s and Gwent County. Gained FAW Coaching badge. Nowadays into painting by numbers, not as easy as one would think.
    You need to be good at maths to do that painting by numbers, don't you?

You said that before, mon ami

Football and squash when I was younger but as the years have progressed I now play old man's marbles.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Doesn't matter what level or even if it wasn't affiliated to a club, for me, Football and Rugby and a little go at Boxing, until i was chinned, i stopped after that And Hobbies, that's an interesting subject, although is walking a Hobby or an activity (TBG) Doesn't matter how obscure, actually, that would make it more interesting!
    I still play football (badly) three times a week and still love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    You need to be good at maths to do that painting by numbers, don't you?
    Only if you can count!

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    Where do you play, I played off 12 in my 20's, going to start playing again now ready for when I retire. Did you get down gradually, did you have to play more often?
    rushmere st andrews in ipswich
    restarted in 2018 worked down gradually from 22 to 14 Play 3-4 times a week

That's an interesting take on things. I always viewed looking after one's children as a sense of duty (from which, obviously, one can derive pleasure).
    I enjoy doing things with her, that was the point i was making, not that my parental duties are a Hobby that i can drift in and out of, although plenty of those are as boring as ****, for parent and child. My daughter still enjoys time with me, and i love spending time with her. We do the gym together, which i hate (the gym) so her company really helps me get there. We do charity shops and she sells things on at a profit, we do plenty together, that's how i meant it.

Trail running ,boxing ,crossfit ,mountain biking

When I went to Whitchurch Grammar School the only winter sports were Rugby and Cross Country Running until I went into the Lower 6th (a phrase which dates me). This coincided with the school going Comprehensive and becoming Whitchurch HS and football was now on the agenda. in our first season we swept the board with a 100% record beating all comers including the much vaunted Fitzalan twice where I think the teacher in charge of football was called Carter. He wasn't happy.

In my retirement I still manage to get out for a run, I help out with membership admin for the Trust and also the magazine they produce. Like TBG I do a weekly 2 hour weekly language course but in French and with written homework. Also i have recently set my 400th pub quiz for my local. Plenty to do !