+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What sports or Hobbies did you do, or are still doing?

Re: What sports or Hobbies did you do, or are still doing?

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    When I went to Whitchurch Grammar School the only winter sports were Rugby and Cross Country Running until I went into the Lower 6th (a phrase which dates me). This coincided with the school going Comprehensive and becoming Whitchurch HS and football was now on the agenda. in our first season we swept the board with a 100% record beating all comers including the much vaunted Fitzalan twice where I think the teacher in charge of football was called Carter. He wasn't happy.

In my retirement I still manage to get out for a run, I help out with membership admin for the Trust and also the magazine they produce. Like TBG I do a weekly 2 hour weekly language course but in French and with written homework. Also i have recently set my 400th pub quiz for my local. Plenty to do !
    We (Lady Mary) beat Whitchurch High 6-4 on the way to the Seager Cup Final (u/15s) in 1970. Steve Medwin, Terry Medwin’s son, scored all 4 for them. We drew with Fitzalan, 1-1 in the final, sharing the trophy.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    When I went to Whitchurch Grammar School the only winter sports were Rugby and Cross Country Running until I went into the Lower 6th (a phrase which dates me). This coincided with the school going Comprehensive and becoming Whitchurch HS and football was now on the agenda. in our first season we swept the board with a 100% record beating all comers including the much vaunted Fitzalan twice where I think the teacher in charge of football was called Carter. He wasn't happy.

In my retirement I still manage to get out for a run, I help out with membership admin for the Trust and also the magazine they produce. Like TBG I do a weekly 2 hour weekly language course but in French and with written homework. Also i have recently set my 400th pub quiz for my local. Plenty to do !
    Wally Carter was the Teacher you are referring to. Took me for Cardiff Schools from 12-16. Great bloke.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Doesn't matter what level or even if it wasn't affiliated to a club, for me, Football and Rugby and a little go at Boxing, until i was chinned, i stopped after that And Hobbies, that's an interesting subject, although is walking a Hobby or an activity (TBG) Doesn't matter how obscure, actually, that would make it more interesting!
    St.John LLoyd
    Prop, either side

St Illtyds
    Hooker for the 2nds
    Cricket, all rounder
    had a little go with basketball but being 5ft and a mars bar was obvioulsy too short

Potters Wheel Pub & Carllian club cannot remember the exact name, it's now the old Illtydians splott road bridge
    Darts with a 180 claim to fame in the birchgrove

Rumney Legion & Rileys
    Snooker and with a top break of about 15 so didn't last very long with this

Quote Originally Posted by Heathblue View Post
    St.John LLoyd
    Prop, either side

St Illtyds
    Hooker for the 2nds
    Cricket, all rounder
    had a little go with basketball but being 5ft and a mars bar was obvioulsy too short

Potters Wheel Pub & Carllian club cannot remember the exact name, it's now the old Illtydians splott road bridge
    Darts with a 180 claim to fame in the birchgrove

Rumney Legion & Rileys
    Snooker and with a top break of about 15 so didn't last very long with this
    There's a few couples hitting the 'Bullseye' in the Birchgrove, if you know what i'm saying...... Fair play mate, you were a proper all rounder. The Potters Wheel, that place is gone now, remember going there after a football match once, it was lively.

There's a few couples hitting the 'Bullseye' in the Birchgrove, if you know what i'm saying...... Fair play mate, you were a proper all rounder. The Potters Wheel, that place is gone now, remember going there after a football match once, it was lively.
    We did have a spell of using the Birch but not so much now, gone back to the Arches as the go to pub, they don't even hide the funny business in the Birch The potters was lively I remember it opening, a guy called Alex was the original Landlord, just about all the local hoodlums made it their base but the boozers stayed with the Rompney and Brains Daaaaaarrrrk.

We did have a spell of using the Birch but not so much now, gone back to the Arches as the go to pub, they don't even hide the funny business in the Birch The potters was lively I remember it opening, a guy called Alex was the original Landlord, just about all the local hoodlums made it their base but the boozers stayed with the Rompney and Brains Daaaaaarrrrk.
    The Arches is more of a food place now, isn't it? Remember the three separate Bars? Top end for the coffin dodgers, middle for the thirties-forties. and the end bar for all the loonies from the estate

The Arches is more of a food place now, isn't it? Remember the three separate Bars? Top end for the coffin dodgers, middle for the thirties-forties. and the end bar for all the loonies from the estate
    Yes, we generally go on Friday after we get home from work, a bite to eat and a couple of pints, was the three bar arrangement when we moved here 30 odd years ago, never went in top end bar, as you say coffin dodgers but also Welsh Speakers and the Tories, wasn't keen on the 1st bar so spent most of the time in the middle bar, on a Friday it can be packed with eaters around 18/19.00 and almost empty at 22.00, drinking habits have changed IMO and we fall into the category of out early something to eat, couple of pints and home by 19.00/19.30 which seems to be the way now, even when we venture into town we go out early but take advantage of the bus pass and get the bus home unless Junior is playing in Brewhouse and which we stay later and get a Taxi.

Wally Carter was the Teacher you are referring to. Took me for Cardiff Schools from 12-16. Great bloke.
    There's a name from the past!

My Mam's cousin was called Wally Carter (my grampy - Mam's dad - was also a Walter Carter) and he was a teacher. Played cricket, rugby and football - I think he played for Glamorgan Wanderers at one time. Ended up as a head or deputy head. He gave me my first Casey footballs in the late 1960s, a replica Burnley shirt (no idea why or where it came from) and I also have a memory of him taking me to Ninian Park when I was staying with my grandparents in Rhiwbina on holiday aged 7 or 8.

Same person? There can't be too many Wally Carter teachers from the Cardiff area? He died a while ago but my aunt is still in close contact with his widow. Their daughter was in a relationship with Xavier Rush when he played for the Blues - not sure if still is.

Still play football, and have been player manager for the past few years (mainly because no ****er wants to do it ). Will say participation has fallen off a cliff recently, it is all anyone talks about after the games. X team has lost their best players, dropped down to one side etc. I'm slowly moving back from left wing to left back and occasionally centre half but I still enjoy it.

Used to play cricket at a decent level, and was forced to play rugby at school. I'd spend hours and hours bowling leg spin at the garage or kicking a football at it. Loved it.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post

My Mam's cousin was called Wally Carter (my grampy - Mam's dad - was also a Walter Carter) and he was a teacher. Played cricket, rugby and football - I think he played for Glamorgan Wanderers at one time. Ended up as a head or deputy head. He gave me my first Casey footballs in the late 1960s, a replica Burnley shirt (no idea why or where it came from) and I also have a memory of him taking me to Ninian Park when I was staying with my grandparents in Rhiwbina on holiday aged 7 or 8.

Same person? There can't be too many Wally Carter teachers from the Cardiff area? He died a while ago but my aunt is still in close contact with his widow. Their daughter was in a relationship with Xavier Rush when he played for the Blues - not sure if still is.
    Glamorgan Wanderers, yes. Top man, taught both my sons.

https://www.pressreader.com/uk/south...81840055586526

Yes, we generally go on Friday after we get home from work, a bite to eat and a couple of pints, was the three bar arrangement when we moved here 30 odd years ago, never went in top end bar, as you say coffin dodgers but also Welsh Speakers and the Tories, wasn't keen on the 1st bar so spent most of the time in the middle bar, on a Friday it can be packed with eaters around 18/19.00 and almost empty at 22.00, drinking habits have changed IMO and we fall into the category of out early something to eat, couple of pints and home by 19.00/19.30 which seems to be the way now, even when we venture into town we go out early but take advantage of the bus pass and get the bus home unless Junior is playing in Brewhouse and which we stay later and get a Taxi.
    I was a middle bar man. The lads and lasses from the crystals would get in the end bar and it was a ****ing zoo on a friday night!

Sad to hear that he has passed away. He lived in North Cardiff, i would always see him out with his dog, and we would have a chat. A lovely man, calm and quietly spoken, which was a blessing as he was dealing with a right ****ing rabble! got to be him Jon.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Still play football, and have been player manager for the past few years (mainly because no ****er wants to do it ). Will say participation has fallen off a cliff recently, it is all anyone talks about after the games. X team has lost their best players, dropped down to one side etc. I'm slowly moving back from left wing to left back and occasionally centre half but I still enjoy it.

Used to play cricket at a decent level, and was forced to play rugby at school. I'd spend hours and hours bowling leg spin at the garage or kicking a football at it. Loved it.
    Left Footed then Pedro? All the greats are lefties...

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post

Brilliant, thanks for posting that.

Left Footed then Pedro? All the greats are lefties...
    All the greats are... I'm the exception that proves the rule!

Still take corners, I once had a bet with a lad on our team that I could take a better corner with my right foot than he could... I didn't try it again

All the greats are... I'm the exception that proves the rule!

Still take corners, I once had a bet with a lad on our team that I could take a better corner with my right foot than he could... I didn't try it again

I’m all left as well except when I write.

I remember Wally Carter as well even though I didn’t go to his school. Legend of a sports master, well respected throughout the city. Every school should have a Wally Carter, society would benefit tremendously.

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post

Thanks for digging that out. Yes, that's my uncle Wally! Lovely man.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    I’m all left as well except when I write.
    I write with my right, bowl and bat with my right and kick with my left.

I write with my right, bowl and bat with my right and kick with my left.
    Weird isn’t it, when I played football, school mates and then team mates in senior football found it strange that I wrote right handed. They assumed I was left handed.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Weird isn’t it, when I played football, school mates and then team mates in senior football found it strange that I wrote right handed. They assumed I was left handed.
    I'm all left, footed, handed and politically as well.

I have been having mobility issues over the last 6 months, so I gone back to an old hobby from my childhood, which is making Airfix models to help pass the time.

Here is a 1/48 scale Buccaneer that took nearly 4 weeks to put together and paint. I found it very good at relieving stress, except for the very small parts.

IMG_1567.jpg

I went to the same Sunday School as Wally Carter's children. Looking back it must have almost 30 years ago, but I can remember that he and his wife were highly respected. My old Sunday School teacher even got in touch to pass on the news when he died.

Quote Originally Posted by 79blue View Post
    I have been having mobility issues over the last 6 months, so I gone back to an old hobby from my childhood, which is making Airfix models to help pass the time.

Here is a 1/48 scale Buccaneer that took nearly 4 weeks to put together and paint. I found it very good at relieving stress, except for the very small parts.

IMG_1567.jpg
    I used to enjoy airfix model making as a kid , it was a bit painting by numbers I suppose but it was interesting . I learnt more about world war two from making planes boats and tanks and watching the world at war than I did at school

That was all Henry the 8th nonsense