+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What sports or Hobbies did you do, or are still doing?

Re: What sports or Hobbies did you do, or are still doing?

Quote Originally Posted by 79blue View Post
    I have been having mobility issues over the last 6 months, so I gone back to an old hobby from my childhood, which is making Airfix models to help pass the time.

Here is a 1/48 scale Buccaneer that took nearly 4 weeks to put together and paint. I found it very good at relieving stress, except for the very small parts.

Attachment 5436
    Excellent

I have been having mobility issues over the last 6 months, so I gone back to an old hobby from my childhood, which is making Airfix models to help pass the time.

Here is a 1/48 scale Buccaneer that took nearly 4 weeks to put together and paint. I found it very good at relieving stress, except for the very small parts.

Attachment 5436
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    Excellent
    Seconded

In Dec 1996 I played squash (not for the first time, but it was my last time). I snapped my achillies and thereby ended my squash career.

While in plaster I set up the Cardiff City Mailing List. An email list that paved the way for the set up of the first knockings of CCMB.

Initially around the same time I set up www.cardiffcity.com - a name I registered over 25 years ago and still own today. It soon became the main Cardiff City website and was the leading news website for the club long before Wales Online and the official website.

I was asked to run the official website (again long before templated club sites). But that never came to fruition despite Samesh Kumar approving it. First person I asked at the club for information to put on the official site wanted to charge me for talking to me. so I ****ed that off. Too much hassle for next to nothing.

So that's how cardiffcity.com then cardiffcity-mad and the different levels of CCMB started.

When my achillies healed I started playing 5 aside and I played for 21 years until I ruptured my quad tendon while playing in 2018. At 52 I decided I couldn't risk another major tendon rupture. So I hung up my trainers for good.

Really need to improve my exercise output these days. But it will be walking based.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    In Dec 1996 I played squash (not for the first time, but it was my last time). I snapped my achillies and thereby ended my squash career.

While in plaster I set up the Cardiff City Mailing List. An email list that paved the way for the set up of the first knockings of CCMB.

Initially around the same time I set up www.cardiffcity.com - a name I registered over 25 years ago and still own today. It soon became the main Cardiff City website and was the leading news website for the club long before Wales Online and the official website.

I was asked to run the official website (again long before templated club sites). But that never came to fruition despite Samesh Kumar approving it. First person I asked at the club for information to put on the official site wanted to charge me for talking to me. so I ****ed that off. Too much hassle for next to nothing.

So that's how cardiffcity.com then cardiffcity-mad and the different levels of CCMB started.

When my achillies healed I started playing 5 aside and I played for 21 years until I ruptured my quad tendon while playing in 2018. At 52 I decided I couldn't risk another major tendon rupture. So I hung up my trainers for good.

Really need to improve my exercise output these days. But it will be walking based.
    Cheers for all your hard work Mike (i think) And you forgot concreting as a Hobby as well, and fake turf.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    I used to enjoy airfix model making as a kid , it was a bit painting by numbers I suppose but it was interesting . I learnt more about world war two from making planes boats and tanks and watching the world at war than I did at school

That was all Henry the 8th nonsense
    That looks the bizz Mate. Good work

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post

still the best ccfc site around

joined in 1999 !

as for exercise maybe try bike work too the summers not to far away ..........

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    That looks the bizz Mate. Good work
    That's not mine mate , it's his arrow up 👆

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Doesn't matter what level or even if it wasn't affiliated to a club, for me, Football and Rugby and a little go at Boxing, until i was chinned, i stopped after that And Hobbies, that's an interesting subject, although is walking a Hobby or an activity (TBG) Doesn't matter how obscure, actually, that would make it more interesting!
    Whatever you want to call it , its how I spend my spare time.
    Spent most of January scaring my self to death on top of snow capped mountains in Scotland .

First Team

I still play cricket but have slipped down the teams. However at 61 I am happy to still be able to stand around for an afternoon , eat a high calorie and cholesterol heavy afternoon spread and wash it all down with beer until the late evening.

used to play sundays and 5 a side, im in not fit state now with osteo arthritis in my feet, hands, knees, neck, shoulders, and worst of all my spine...

i used to enjoy a bike ride, nothing too heavy just for leisure, im able to swim still so i enjoy that when i get the chance to go

might look into 1 of these walking 5 aside type of things where its not over active, or maybe even bowls ive always wanted to try that

Quote Originally Posted by bluemoon View Post
    used to play sundays and 5 a side, im in not fit state now with osteo arthritis in my feet, hands, knees, neck, shoulders, and worst of all my spine...

i used to enjoy a bike ride, nothing too heavy just for leisure, im able to swim still so i enjoy that when i get the chance to go

might look into 1 of these walking 5 aside type of things where its not over active, or maybe even bowls ive always wanted to try that
    Walking in general is what the physios would suggest a fella with your health issues does ?

As I wrote earlier in this thread, I started making Airfix models to pass the time due to mobility issues.

I have just ordered Airfix's biggest and most complex model, The 1/24 scale Mark IXc Spitfire. Which is made of more than 430 parts, with the engine being a work of art in itself. This should keep me occupied for the next 3 months. It quite expensive and paint will cost a lot, but it appears worth the price.

Here is what some else made which I hope to replicate.spitfire.jpgengine.jpg

As I wrote earlier in this thread, I started making Airfix models to pass the time due to mobility issues.

I have just ordered Airfix's biggest and most complex model, The 1/24 scale Mark IXc Spitfire. Which is made of more than 430 parts, with the engine being a work of art in itself. This should keep me occupied for the next 3 months. It quite expensive and paint will cost a lot, but it appears worth the price.

Not my thing, but that is impressive.

Way too potchy and needs too much patience for my skill set 🤣

Applying the paint to the main parts, with a paint brush or airbrush?

Another question... are Airfix the leaders in model manufacturing, or is there some obscure company that makes higher quality stuff? (I'm guessing Japanese or South Korean)

I remember when I was a kid, my stepfather painstakingly putting together a Formula One model of a 'John Player Special' racing car.
    He spent ages putting it all together. It had active steering, suspension - the lot! He even had a wooden plinth made for it!
    I soon got my hands on it, and completely fecked it up, by trying to drag it across our living room shag-pile carpet!

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    Applying the paint to the main parts, with a paint brush or airbrush?

Another question... are Airfix the leaders in model manufacturing, or is there some obscure company that makes higher quality stuff? (I'm guessing Japanese or South Korean)

I remember when I was a kid, my stepfather painstakingly putting together a Formula One model of a 'John Player Special' racing car.
    He spent ages putting it all together. It had active steering, suspension - the lot! He even had a wooden plinth made for it!
    I soon got my hands on it, and completely fecked it up, by trying to drag it across our living room shag-pile carpet!
    Unfortunately I will be brush painting. The airbrush and compressor would cost about £300 for a reasonable kit, but thinning the paint and using multiple layers you can get a good effect with brushes (if you can see brush marks, the paint is too thick).

Tamiya (Japan). Revell (American/German) and Airfix seems to be the main players. The newer Airfix kits are really good and fit together well. The Spitfire that I just ordered was only released at the end of last year. I only went for Airfix due to them producing the models I want to make. I must confess that in the 1970’s when I was a kid I was a member of the Airfix Modellers Club.

I was crap at Airfix modelling as a kid. I'd have bits of glue stretching fron the wheels to the wingtip, and the pilot sat in a cushion of Uhu.
    Think I'd have a bit more patience these days.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    I was crap at Airfix modelling as a kid. I'd have bits of glue stretching fron the wheels to the wingtip, and the pilot sat in a cushion of Uhu.
    Think I'd have a bit more patience these days.
    I was also ham-fisted at putting models together.
    My pilots would all complain that they couldn't see out of the cockpit, due to it being smeared in glue!

Unfortunately I will be brush painting. The airbrush and compressor would cost about £300 for a reasonable kit, but thinning the paint and using multiple layers you can get a good effect with brushes (if you can see brush marks, the paint is too thick).

Tamiya (Japan). Revell (American/German) and Airfix seems to be the main players. The newer Airfix kits are really good and fit together well. The Spitfire that I just ordered was only released at the end of last year. I only went for Airfix due to them producing the models I want to make. I must confess that in the 1970’s when I was a kid I was a member of the Airfix Modellers Club.
    That's some unbelievable detail on the Spitfire engine!

This thread has reminded of a Revell VW T1 camper van model I purchased a number of years back when I foolishly thought I would have time to do it, not sure why I didnt do it while C19 was around. ?? ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    Whatever you want to call it , its how I spend my spare time.
    Spent most of January scaring my self to death on top of snow capped mountains in Scotland .
    You home yet Jimmy?

Hoping for some car advice

I posted earlier in this thread about making Airfix models. Today I completed my biggest one yet, a 1/24 scale Spitfire. It took 7 weeks to build and paint and looks pretty good.
    Attached Images Attached Images

These 1/34 models are a tad more complex than the stuff i used to make in the 60s
    U used to hang them from my bedroom ceiling in "do-fight" formations.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    I used to enjoy airfix model making as a kid , it was a bit painting by numbers I suppose but it was interesting . I learnt more about world war two from making planes boats and tanks and watching the world at war than I did at school

That was all Henry the 8th nonsense
    These a well preserved buccaneer at Kemble. You needed to retract the gear for low level flying

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    These 1/34 models are a tad more complex than the stuff i used to make in the 60s
    U used to hang them from my bedroom ceiling in "do-fight" formations.
    Same here. And if there were any missing parts in the box you could disguise the gap with cotton wool smoke!

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Same here. And if there were any missing parts in the box you could disguise the gap with cotton wool smoke!
    I shave pigeons.