I have just read the article on the BBC news site about Jason Bowen and his Motor Neurone Disease (MND) diagnosis and this feels very close to home.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-64823856

In early September I noticed a slight limp on my left leg. Prior to this I have been experiencing unusual muscle cramping, stiffness and twitching in both legs. Within a week I noticed that the movement in my toes in my left foot was severely reduced and my left ankle had lost 50% of its normal movement. I went to my GP who told me it was probably due to a spinal disc injury that I have had for 20 years. I was unconvinced because it did not follow the pattern of previous episodes of a flare up of this condition and I was not experiencing any sciatic pain in this leg, which I get very severely when I have a flare up. The GP also noted that I had lost muscle mass in my left calf, which has not occurred before.

In December I had an MRI scan on my lower spine which showed some inflammation in one of my lower spinal discs. My GP referred me to an orthopaedic consultant for further investigation.

Whilst waiting for this appointment my left leg has furthered deteriorated. I no longer have any motor control over my left foot and ankle, and my left knee started to have reduced motor control. I can no longer walk more than 50m without experiencing severe pain in both hips, and lower back due to my walking pattern. When I go to the shops I have to use a shopping trolley as a walking aid and I now use a walking stick. My balance is awful, if I stand up straight and close my eyes I start to wobble after 15 seconds and I would fall over if I continued. I have to hold on to a rail with both hands when going up steps. In the morning when I get up both legs feel very stiff and I have to walk (with difficulty) straight legged. I know my body and my legs feel almost alien to me at times.

This week I had my orthopaedic appointment. My consultant reported that the swelling in my spinal disc was not as severe as seen on previous MRI scans and the loss of motor control in my left leg does not match the effects that spinal compression would have on this leg if was due to a disc prolapse in my lower spine. He has now referred me for an MRI on my upper spine to rule out issue there, but I have not had issues with my upper spine. If that is clear I will be referred to a neurologist. I mentioned my concerns about a possible neuro-degenderative condition (MND is one form) and he responded that I should consider that as a possibility.

In 6 months I have gone from being able to cycle 40 miles a week to not being able to walk further than 100m very slowly. This occurred within 4 weeks of taking early retirement in September at the age of 58, which has really pissed me off. I don’t know why I'm writing this for total strangers, maybe I'm just getting it off my chest