+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Perry Ng goes in goal - question

Perry Ng goes in goal - question

Okay, I don't know the answer, but I'm sure that someone on here will. When was the last time a City outfield player went in goal, after the keeper had been sent off or injured? Do we have to go back to the days of Phil Dwyer, or has it happened since then?

Re: Perry Ng goes in goal - question

Second question: has any City player scored with a higher number on their shirt than Kaba had today?

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    Okay, I don't know the answer, but I'm sure that someone on here will. When was the last time a City outfield player went in goal, after the keeper had been sent off or injured? Do we have to go back to the days of Phil Dwyer, or has it happened since then?
    Hasn’t NG gone in before for us?

im guessing ross mccormack did somewhere

Quote Originally Posted by poc View Post
    im guessing ross mccormack did somewhere
    Ross was no 44 kaba is no 48

Love NG .. top fella

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Second question: has any City player scored with a higher number on their shirt than Kaba had today?
    Yes.

Even TLG couldn’t blame him for diving in the last five minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by bluesp View Post
    Hasn’t NG gone in before for us?
    I thought this too, but can't find any confirmation!

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    I seem to remember Leggy going in goals on one occasion. Or have I dreamt that up?

2011/12 - Joe Ralls first goal for the club at Hull. He wore 52.

Come on Eric, search those archives. Prior to Ng's cameo yesterday, who was the last City outfield player to go in goal, after the original keeper was injured or sent off?

Not the answer to the question, but does anyone remember Bill Irwin being sent off in a Welsh Cup game against Aberystwyth? I think we won something like 7-0 but I’m not convinced that I may just have made this up.

Bill Irwin was sent off at Oswestry on 21 February 1974. Cardiff won 3-1 (Gil Reece 2 and John Farrington). The Aberystwyth win was 7-1 on 3 January 1973.

Perry 'Safe Hands' NG

Larry Grayson ?

I would have thought there must have been at least one instance of it happening since, but the last game I can remember outfield players going in goal for us was for that midweek afternoon game at Bradford City in our 82/83 promotion season when Andy Dibble got injured. Both Phil Dwyer and Linden Jones had a go in goal that day - hardly surprisingly, we lost 4-2.

The best outfield/goalkeeper was Alf Sherwood, in the days before substitutes he was the stand in goalkeeper for both Wales and Cardiff, even saving a penalty from Billy Liddle of Liverpool, the city winning 1-0 and Liverpool got relegated

Quote Originally Posted by Rontomuk View Post
    The best outfield/goalkeeper was Alf Sherwood, in the days before substitutes he was the stand in goalkeeper for both Wales and Cardiff, even saving a penalty from Billy Liddle of Liverpool, the city winning 1-0 and Liverpool got relegated
    Liverpool relegated, that's always good to hear

Didn't Moseley get sent off at Northampton in '86 in the game that came up on another thread? Mike Ford went in goal for him and we lost 4-1. I was there but I'm not 100% sure now as no one else has mentioned it. I can remember some old guys playing cheese skittles in a pub before the game for some reason but that's not entirely relevant here.

I remember linden Jones in goal after a Dibble red card and I don't think I was at that Bradford game though it may have been that one

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    Didn't Moseley get sent off at Northampton in '86 in the game that came up on another thread? Mike Ford went in goal for him and we lost 4-1. I was there but I'm not 100% sure now as no one else has mentioned it. I can remember some old guys playing cheese skittles in a pub before the game for some reason but that's not entirely relevant here.
    I've found a programme for the Millwall cup replay a couple of weeks after the Northampton game and it says that Moseley was suspended for two games after being sent off there. Can't find out if it was Mike Ford that went in goal but I'm pretty sure it was.

Northampton's second goal that day was a penalty which rings a bell, I think that was the incident that led to Moseley being sent off so we were 2-0 down with 10 men and Ford in goal at the runaway league leaders (they were 14 points clear at the time). First half too I think. Not ideal. At least Allsop timed his a bit better.

Quote Originally Posted by fugsyphil View Post
    I remember linden Jones in goal after a Dibble red card and I don't think I was at that Bradford game though it may have been that one
    Dibble was injured, not sent off. We used five keepers in 82/83 and Dibble's injury saw two of them signed as replacements for him. The first was Scottish international Jim Brown who was signed on loan from Sheffield United I think it was. However, despite saving a penalty in his first game against Reading, Len Ashurst clearly wasn't fully convinced by him as he only played twice more before Eric Steele arrived on another loan deal, this time from Watford. Steele took over for seven games before the fit again Dibble came back and his best moment came in the "clock game" at Portsmouth where he made a superb save in front of the Match of the Day cameras.

I'm ninety nine per cent sure Loramski is right about that Northampton game though - Moseley was sent off in the thirty seventh minute of the match. We were drawing 1-1 at the time and the penalty came in the forty fourth minute, before Northampton ran away with the game with a couple more goals in the second half. What the information I have doesn't do is say who replaced Moseley in goal, but, from my not infallible memory, I'm pretty sure it was Mike Ford - he definitely went in goal for us somewhere along the line in his two spells at the club and so, I'd say there's a very good chance that he's the last outfield player to go in goals for City before Perry Ng on Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Dibble was injured, not sent off. We used five keepers in 82/83 and Dibble's injury saw two of them signed as replacements for him. The first was Scottish international Jim Brown who was signed on loan from Sheffield United I think it was. However, despite saving a penalty in his first game against Reading, Len Ashurst clearly wasn't fully convinced by him as he only played twice more before Eric Steele arrived on another loan deal, this time from Watford. Steele took over for seven games before the fit again Dibble came back and his best moment came in the "clock game" at Portsmouth where he made a superb save in front of the Match of the Day cameras.

I'm ninety nine per cent sure Loramski is right about that Northampton game though - Moseley was sent off in the thirty seventh minute of the match. We were drawing 1-1 at the time and the penalty came in the forty fourth minute, before Northampton ran away with the game with a couple more goals in the second half. What the information I have doesn't do is say who replaced Moseley in goal, but, from my not infallible memory, I'm pretty sure it was Mike Ford - he definitely went in goal for us somewhere along the line in his two spells at the club and so, I'd say there's a very good chance that he's the last outfield player to go in goals for City before Perry Ng on Saturday.
    The BBC ran a 'Save of the Season' competition that year and Eric Steele's save was the winner.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

Thanks for this. My youngest still has Phil Brignull's number (shameless name-dropping, I know) and I got him to message to see if he could confirm who took Moseley's place. Phil reckoned he wasn't playing that day (I'm sure he was) but said he'd look into it. I haven't heard any more since.

I don't want to pester my youngest or Phil, just in case they've got better things to be worrying about, but I'll let you know if I get an answer.