+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: You can't win a coin toss that often...

You can't win a coin toss that often...

Apologies if this has been raised before but I've often wondered if there's an understanding between clubs that allows the home team to decide which way they will play. It always seems to be the case whether it's Anfield, Old Trafford, Emirates, Etihad, Stamford Bridge (four of those five were at home at the weekend and played their usual way in the first half) - and most other places. Even at CCS, City seem to prefer playing toward the Grange end in the second half, and get their way.

I guess they believe there's an advantage? Is it to please the players, the fans or the broadcasters?

Re: You can't win a coin toss that often...

Coin flipped by ref
    - winner can choose whether to kick off first or pick ends.
    - if winning captain picks KO, the loser can pick ends, and vice-versa.

So at CCS, eg, we can always pick ends unless the away captain wins toss and picks ends., but captains usually pick KO.

At least, that's how it used to be, don't know if the method has been changed.

I said in a thread a year or two back that I’d always want to make the home team play towards the end they favour in the first half when games tend to be a bit cagier, but I can remember most who replied did not agree with me. I watch a lot of Big Match and Match of the Day programmes from when I was a kid on You Tube and, for example, Liverpool played towards the Kop and Man United towards the Stratford End in the first half of games much more back then.

Maybe it’s down to sides not wanting to change ends after the toss these days, but, as the away captain, I’d want to disrupt the home side’s normal ritual as much as I could. Usually you get one or two games a season at Cardiff City Stadium where we play towards the Canton Stand in the first half (as it turns out, the wurzels have done it a couple of times down the years), but I can’t remember it happening once this season.

Which end do we score more goals in?

Wish we'd picked the other end away at Norwich
    1st half was into a howling wind which just disappeared around halftime and then the second half was with the low sun directly in our eyes

Quote Originally Posted by Cowbridge Blue View Post
    Apologies if this has been raised before but I've often wondered if there's an understanding between clubs that allows the home team to decide which way they will play. It always seems to be the case whether it's Anfield, Old Trafford, Emirates, Etihad, Stamford Bridge (four of those five were at home at the weekend and played their usual way in the first half) - and most other places. Even at CCS, City seem to prefer playing toward the Grange end in the second half, and get their way.

I guess they believe there's an advantage? Is it to please the players, the fans or the broadcasters?
    Error! Canton end second half not Grange!

Quote Originally Posted by Cowbridge Blue View Post
    Error! Canton end second half not Grange!
    Showing your age

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Showing your age
    Correct, but to be fair I'm overseas nowadays and only get to CCS once a year when we return to visit the family