+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Lineker dropped from Match of the Day

Re: Lineker dropped from Match of the Day

Quote Originally Posted by logic View Post
    Remind us who the focus of Mein Kampf were?

"If at the beginning of the war and during the war twelve or fifteen thousand of these Hebrew corrupters of the nation had been subjected to poison gas, such as had to be endured in the field by hundreds of thousands of our very best German workers of all classes and professions, then the sacrifice of millions at the front would not have been in vain."

Just one of many examples, including the backing for the Protocols bs.

Jew hate was the driver which fanned out to then include others not conforming to the Nazi ideal.
    I thought they put it down to the eugenics movement in general.Madison Grant etc.

Whether you agree or disagree with Linekars views to me is irrelevant.

It’s firstly whether you should be able to have a view separate of your employer if it doesn’t impact your work and secondly is it really necessary to air your personal views all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post

It’s firstly whether you should be able to have a view separate of your employer if it doesn’t impact your work and secondly is it really necessary to air your personal views all the time.
    It's consistency

Either political view and political action is allowed .....or it ain't

Alan Sugar pleaded with people to vote Tory to stop corbyn .....nothing happened

Lineker ......suspended for his view of government policy

Current BBC chairman only recently under investigation for donating to the tory party

All is fair in love and war but if the conservatives can influence things then I want a level playing field or the gloves are off

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    He has

is it really necessary to air your personal views all the time.
    If there are bad things happening all the time, yes.

Maybe those who are indifferent or apathetic should be questioning themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    It's consistency

Alan Sugar pleaded with people to vote Tory to stop corbyn .....nothing happened

Current BBC chairman only recently under investigation for donating to the tory party

All is fair in love and war but if the conservatives can influence things then I want a level playing field or the gloves are off
    Sludge, you need to correct something. Lineker has not been suspended for his view of government policy. He didn't express any opinion of government policy. He made a comparison on the use of language used. Completely different.

Conversations similar to this thread are going on today all over the country. This is what this vile Tory government wants, people arguing amongst themselves about refugees to stoke hate and division. It’s not a few thousand refugees arriving on boats that have caused everyone’s ills in the UK and Europe, it’s those arriving on private jets and yachts.

We’ve already had the far right firebombing refugees in this country, what next?

I will always side and support those most in need, whether it’s refugees, the homeless, the hungry etc etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Sludge, you need to correct something. Lineker has not been suspended for his view of government policy. He didn't express any opinion of government policy. He made a comparison on the use of language used. Completely different.
    Well I think he was having a stab at tory policy

And I agreed with him

Quote Originally Posted by logic View Post
    Blah blah blah
    Thanks for the history lesson. Coming from a Jewish family who lost members during the Holocaust, and being someone who has studied that period in history extensively, I didn't really need it. But thanks all the same.

In his tweet, Lineker said the language currently being used in relation to refugees is not dissimilar to the language used in Germany in the 1930's. You claimed Nazi 'rhetoric' was aimed at a specific demographic of German society and Lineker's comparison was ignorant. You were wrong on both counts, but I'm not going to argue the toss with you. This sort of shit makes me genuinely angry, so I'm going to leave it there.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    It's consistency

Than there is this. Different rules for right wing presenters such as Andrew Neil https://twitter.com/spinarellodogma/...ZQyp-iO2wYo4Kg

Quote Originally Posted by ninian opinian View Post
    Than there is this. Different rules for right wing presenters such as Andrew Neil https://twitter.com/spinarellodogma/...ZQyp-iO2wYo4Kg
    Chairman of BBC ......tory donor on 800 k

Director General ......stood as a tory Councillor

Impartial !

Lineker is a contractor not an employee
    There are conditions in that contract that he has infringed (I believe - and not for the first time)
    The govt was democratically elected and they are not executing people in the street - like they did in Germany in the 1930's

So his comparison is incorrect - and he is using his status on twitter (which the bbc has helped promote) to broadcast his political views.

As for Jason Mohammed and the rest of the pundits - yes please - can you all withdraw your services and give someone else a go.

Quote Originally Posted by pipster View Post
    There are conditions in that contract that he has infringed (I believe - and not for the first time)
    The govt was democratically elected and they are not executing people in the street - like they did in Germany in the 1930's

So his comparison is incorrect - and he is using his status on twitter (which the bbc has helped promote) to broadcast his political views.
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

As for Jason Mohammed and the rest of the pundits - yes please - can you all withdraw your services and give someone else a go.
    He didn't say the government are executing people in the street , you have

He's said the language used by the Conservative government is extreme and harks back to 1930s Germany

And it does

How many bloody times are people going to spread these lies? READ THE TWEET AGAIN FFS.

I think people should indeed be free to air their own views even if it's antithetic to their employers. People aren't slaves any more though there's a fair number of employers who think they should be. It's the easiest thing on the World for an employer to publicly distance themselves from their employees' views without curtailing free speech

The Nazis were also democratically elected and there were no executions in the streets early on

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Jon, you do normally make reasoned posts even if I don't always agree with you, but with respect, you are not doing so here.

We all know what people are saying when they accuse someone of apeing 1930s Germany. They are accusing someone or something of being like one of the greatest mass murdering regimes in history.

I do support his right to say what he wants, but it was a stupid and ignorant comment.
    The German government spent the '30s changing laws, increasing their power and demonizing certain people and races. The mass murder took place in the '40s. This may sound pedantic, but there is a difference. I don't think Lineker said anything wrong.

Sadly the main fallout from this will be that more people have now heard of a government policy that unfortunately they will very likely support.

Watching the mental gymnastics of right wingers who are having to do handbrake turns after droning on about the all powerful liberal elite and the dangers of cancel culture , is still very satisfying though.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    I'm not saying this and other analogies are not a monumental load of bollocks, but you do realize that Jews were not desperate to enter Germany during the rise of the nazis, right? indeed, they fled for their lives.

That isn't happening here. If the analogy were remotely true (it isn't) then people wouldn't be trying to come here.
    Jews were not desperate to enter Germany during the rise of the Nazis because they were already ensconced there as were they in much of Eastern Europe. It had been their home for a thousand years. There had always been some form of anti Jewish feeling but overall they were tolerated and could live peacefully. Many took German names which helped with their integration.

The "stab in the back" criticisms grew after the First World War and we know from history this lie and the German military and economic collapse gave rise to the Nazi movement

It's remarkable just how quickly afterwards evil people managed to mobilise the collective hatred against minority groups by means of scapegoating them by the use of demonizing language.

Funny thing is many of the people i've spoken to that have a view on this don't actually know what the policy is

It's either;

Tories = bad
    Immigrants = bad

Usually when someone invokes Godwins's law into any debate - then it's usually all over. Godwins law being anyone that uses the line of 'that's how the Nazi's started' in defence of their opinion, which he inferred

WJ99 - I used to think bbc = football = lineker not bbc = football = lineker = his political opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    I never watch Match of the Day as I have no interest in the Premier League but this turn of events could have interesting consequences. Suppose those who do watch MOTD discover that actually having no pundits is not a bad thing and Lineker et al are rather superfluous. The BBC could dispose of their services and save quite a bit of cash in the process. Obviously the likes of SKY would be happy to take him off their hands I would imagine.

Incidentally whilst I agree Lineker has every right to express his personal opinion what he said was totally idiotic. There is no way the current situation resembles Germany in the 1930's. If it did, we would be "disposing" of boat people very shortly after they arrive in the UK.
    I wonder if his TV pundit colleagues would be defending Lineker if he had tweeted that he actually supported the "get tough" language used by the government?

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    Jews were not desperate to enter Germany during the rise of the Nazis because they were already ensconced there as were they in much of Eastern Europe. It had been their home for a thousand years. There had always been some form of anti Jewish feeling but overall they were tolerated and could live peacefully. Many took German names which helped with their integration.

The "stab in the back" criticisms grew after the First World War and we know from history this lie and the German military and economic collapse gave rise to the Nazi movement

It's remarkable just how quickly afterwards evil people managed to mobilise the collective hatred against minority groups by means of scapegoating them by the use of demonizing language.
    But we're in a new world now with new age media.

Death camps thank heavens will NEVER happen again in a civilised democrasy

People have said this 'hostile environment' rhetoric could lead to something much worse. I completely disagree. But I do admit it doesn't do anything positive for the poor souls that do lose their lives on these boats.

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    I wonder if his TV pundit colleagues would be defending Lineker if he had tweeted that he actually supported the "get tough" language used by the government?
    I wonder if he would have been asked to stand down from MOTD if he had.