+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Lineker dropped from Match of the Day

Re: Lineker dropped from Match of the Day

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    I wonder if his TV pundit colleagues would be defending Lineker if he had tweeted that he actually supported the "get tough" language used by the government?
    I wonder if his colleagues actually read what he wrote? Judging by your previous contribution (which you have quoted), you didn’t.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    But we're in a new world now with new age media.

Death camps thank heavens will NEVER happen again in a civilised democrasy

People have said this 'hostile environment' rhetoric could lead to something much worse. I completely disagree. But I do admit it doesn't do anything positive for the poor souls that do lose their lives on these boats.
    You say you disagree but how do you conclusively know the "hostile environment" rhetoric will not lead to tragedy?

Quote Originally Posted by pipster View Post
    Usually when someone invokes Godwins's law into any debate - then it's usually all over. Godwins law being anyone that uses the line of 'that's how the Nazi's started' in defence of their opinion, which he inferred

WJ99 - I used to think bbc = football = lineker not bbc = football = lineker = his political opinion
    So when innocent people were being massacred in Bosnia and Rwanda for example years back was anyone using any comparison to the Nazis invoking Godwin's Law?

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    You’re getting embroiled with Sludge again, never a good sign
    Find it easier to come on here and be a **** and be able to carry on being nice to the people around me when I'm having a rough time ;)

Better to let steam off with strangers than take it out on family and people in work. I'm a ****ing genius son.

CCMB = Free therapy

We’re a weird old country, the withdrawing of labour by a number off BBC presenters, many ex footballers has brought a few hoorays from people with the view that they’re overpaid, no good etc. These presenters, especially the ex pros, are mostly working class people who’ve actually done what school advised them, work hard at your chosen vocation, use your skills to get on. The jealousy of the wages they earn is quite pathetic, they’ve reached the point they’re at through hard work and dedication. Perhaps the brainwashing by the right wing, old money ‘upper class’ through their controlling of the media with a ‘how dare they have as much wealth as my family has and have had for centuries’ is to blame, they know a lot of folk, sadly, will join in their disgust.

It’s not a race to the bottom and we should be proud of people who have come from the same walk of life as us, council estates etc, and they’ve highly achieved. Do other countries snipe at people who’ve got on in life like the UK does?

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    I wonder if his TV pundit colleagues would be defending Lineker if he had tweeted that he actually supported the "get tough" language used by the government?
    Jason Mohammed, Shearer, Wright etc - all worship Linekers @rse it seems and dote on his every word - in the hope it also boosts their public rating etc. They want to be associated with him - so I think whatever Lineker thinks - they would agree with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    So when innocent people were being massacred in Bosnia and Rwanda for example years back was anyone using any comparison to the Nazis invoking Godwin's Law?
    Do a bit of research of what the German Govt was up to in the 1930's and you get this https://www.annefrank.org/en/anne-fr...-dictatorship/ - it's an interesting read of 1930's German Govt

"Jews and well-known Germans in particular had a rough time of it. SS guards at the Dachau camp, near Munich, for instance, took four Jewish prisoners outside the gates, where they shot them dead. The guards then claimed that the victims had tried to escape."

There are many other quotes in the article, I think it's a bit of a stretch for Lineker to make a similar comparison - but everyone is entitled to their opinion - unless of course they have signed a contract which has clauses re publishing - in which case the contract would be in breach - I presume Lineker is in breach - as this is the 3rd time he has been warned about it.

Let's take it to court and see what the contract lawyers make of it

no match of the day at all now

oh how the mighty fall... seemed to be a bit of a boycott by the viewers brewing too, so they have pulled the show

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    We’re a weird old country, the withdrawing of labour by a number off BBC presenters, many ex footballers has brought a few hoorays from people with the view that they’re overpaid, no good etc. These presenters, especially the ex pros, are mostly working class people who’ve actually done what school advised them, work hard at your chosen vocation, use your skills to get on. The jealousy of the wages they earn is quite pathetic, they’ve reached the point they’re at through hard work and dedication. Perhaps the brainwashing by the right wing, old money ‘upper class’ through their controlling of the media with a ‘how dare they have as much wealth as my family has and have had for centuries’ is to blame, they know a lot of folk, sadly, will join in their disgust.

It’s not a race to the bottom and we should be proud of people who have come from the same walk of life as us, council estates etc, and they’ve highly achieved. Do other countries snipe at people who’ve got on in life like the UK does?
    I don't begrudge players a penny; it would only go in a director's pocket instead. But I don't think Lineker and Shearer (especially) in their current roles provide value for money. Few would miss them if they were replaced and in the latter's case a hatstand would be more informative and the (public) money better spent. However, this situation looks like it'll die down and MOTD will return to its usual boring, complacent old pals format.

Do a bit of research of what the German Govt was up to in the 1930's and you get this https://www.annefrank.org/en/anne-fr...-dictatorship/ - it's an interesting read of 1930's German Govt

"Jews and well-known Germans in particular had a rough time of it. SS guards at the Dachau camp, near Munich, for instance, took four Jewish prisoners outside the gates, where they shot them dead. The guards then claimed that the victims had tried to escape."

There are many other quotes in the article, I think it's a bit of a stretch for Lineker to make a similar comparison - but everyone is entitled to their opinion - unless of course they have signed a contract which has clauses re publishing - in which case the contract would be in breach - I presume Lineker is in breach - as this is the 3rd time he has been warned about it.

Let's take it to court and see what the contract lawyers make of it
    So you're saying there were never any instances of violence in Bosnia and Rwanda?

So you're saying there were never any instances of violence in Bosnia and Rwanda?
    That's a very weak straw man argument - "so what you're saying" - that is what did for Cathy Newman on channel 4 news. You tried to widen the debate by introducing Rwanda / Bosnia and then attempted the "so what your saying is" trick

That's a very weak straw man argument - "so what you're saying" - that is what did for Cathy Newman on channel 4 news. You introduced Rwanda / Bosnia

No not at all. You were spouting on about this ridiculous "Godwin's Law" and I asked if it applied to people making comparisons with Nazi history at the time of the massacres in Bosnia and Rwanda.

Jason Mohammed, Shearer, Wright etc - all worship Linekers @rse it seems and dote on his every word - in the hope it also boosts their public rating etc. They want to be associated with him - so I think whatever Lineker thinks - they would agree with him.
    None of them have said they support what Lineker has said. They support his right to speak his mind cos if he can't then none of them can.

No not at all. You were spouting on about this ridiculous "Godwin's Law" and I asked if it applied to people making comparisons with Nazi history at the time of the massacres in Bosnia and Rwanda.
    Lol 'spouting' - go look up Godwin's law yourself (it's not ridiculous btw)

Lol 'spouting' - go look up Godwin's law yourself (it's not ridiculous btw)
    Oh great. Hitler's back under a different username.

Excellent! As usual.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    None of them have said they support what Lineker has said. They support his right to speak his mind cos if he can't then none of them can.
    but if they had any "balls" they would support what he said .

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    That's not the point. They're not allowed to express their views either way, even if they think Bravermans policy was the dogs b0ll0cks.

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    Why does that take balls? Coming up with no solution and just throwing insults on social media from the comfort of a big house isn't "ballsy" at all. Its the easiest thing in the world.

Making difficult decisions is ballsy.

[QUOTE=pipster;5401530]Lol 'spouting' - go look up Godwin's law yourself (it's not ridiculous btw)[/QUOTE

I've read about it many times: it's right wing nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by Tito Fuente View Post
    It would seem so.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I wonder if his colleagues actually read what he wrote? Judging by your previous contribution (which you have quoted), you didn’t.
    From my original post: Incidentally whilst I agree Lineker has every right to express his personal opinion what he said was totally idiotic. There is no way the current situation resembles Germany in the 1930's. If it did, we would be "disposing" of boat people very shortly after they arrive in the UK.

Re: Lineker tweet: This is what I read: “This is just an immeasurably cruel policy directed at the most vulnerable people in language that is not dissimilar to that used by Germany in the '30s’.”

I would be interested to know what makes you conclude from my post that I did not read what Lineker wrote? As I see it, the current situation in Lineker's opinion, is that the government has introduced an immeasurably cruel policy directed at the most vulnerable people in language that is not dissimilar to that used by Germany in the '30s’.”

As I said, he is entitled to his opinion just as I am to opine that he is incorrect.

Quote Originally Posted by Tito Fuente View Post
    and is probably happy the Tories have been compared to Nazi's. In the minds of some I should add.

Quote Originally Posted by PontBlue View Post
    and is probably happy the Tories have been compared to Nazi's. In the minds of some I should add.
    What he should do is publish what it says in his contract (remember he is not employed by the bbc - as that would involve him paying NI contributions)

What he can and cant do will be in his contract. For the BBC to put him on gardening leave means he must have infringed those clauses (again). It's simple enough - adhere to the contract you signed and if you dont then you can expect the other side to terminate the contract.