+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do You use A Travel Credit Card ?

Re: Do You use A Travel Credit Card ?

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Yeah I wish more people realised this. It can cost businesses pretty large sums. There are a few signs posted on twitter now of businesses (particularly smaller ones) asking people to pay in cash as some are losing several hundred a month etc.

So important that the cash economy is healthy alongside electronic payments.
    I keep 20 quid in the car now. I don't carry cash just my phone, and I've been caught out a few times. Recently I had to drive from an event that was cash only, as I didn't have my bank card either (I don't like carrying my Wallet) I had to use my banking apps "emergency cash" option to get cash out...which meant driving in traffic both ways and extra messing about with parking etc.

Would be easier to just carry my wallet with some cash in and leave it there until I need it, but I'll then use cash not card and not replace the cash used so I'm back to square one

International

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Yeah I wish more people realised this. It can cost businesses pretty large sums. There are a few signs posted on twitter now of businesses (particularly smaller ones) asking people to pay in cash as some are losing several hundred a month etc.

So important that the cash economy is healthy alongside electronic payments.
    Yes in tax a lot don't like paying it so prefer cash so they can not declare a large percentage and keep more for themselves.

Obviously, it does cost to use cards too, but that's just a normal business expense like deliveries which most businesses accept.

International

I used to, mostly use the Halifax clarity card, which is Worldwide and has very good conversion rates, far better than changing cash, and still do for bigger purchases abroad.

I now mostly use the Monzo card, again good conversion rates, but the best benefits are that you can withdraw cash free abroad to use alongside the card at bars/shops that are trying to stop traceable card payments or save card fees, the transactions are also instant, so help with fraud. if you've paid it flashes a notification and shows on your app that instant. Really useful so they can't say it didn't go through as it shows immediately that you've paid.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    I used to, mostly use the Halifax clarity card, which is Worldwide and has very good conversion rates, far better than changing cash, and still do for bigger purchases abroad.

I now mostly use the Monzo card, again good conversion rates, but the best benefits are that you can withdraw cash free abroad to use alongside the card at bars/shops that are trying to stop traceable card payments or save card fees, the transactions are also instant, so help with fraud. if you've paid it flashes a notification and shows on your app that instant. Really useful so they can't say it didn't go through as it shows immediately that you've paid.
    So does my NatWest app.

Starling and Monzo both are very easy to use the app to freeze cards ( Halifax app also has the feature ), so when abroad Starling card is frozen, when we go to use it, I unfreeze it and away we go, then freeze it after, Its especially good in restaurants the US where they take the card away to take payment, which can lead to the card being cloned, so it gives you piece of mind that you can freeze it

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    Starling and Monzo both are very easy to use the app to freeze cards ( Halifax app also has the feature ), so when abroad Starling card is frozen, when we go to use it, I unfreeze it and away we go, then freeze it after, Its especially good in restaurants the US where they take the card away to take payment, which can lead to the card being cloned, so it gives you piece of mind that you can freeze it
    being able to freeze the cards is one of the best new features i think with bank apps

Quote Originally Posted by poc View Post
    being able to freeze the cards is one of the best new features i think with bank apps
    The freezing option is a very good thing, thanks for letting us know about it

Am an extensive traveller (for work, sadly) I only use a credit card when travelling and then pay it all off when my expenses are paid, which is within days after I submit my expense claims so I don't get charged interest.

Some travel tips that I have picked up over the years:

Tell you credit card company when and where you are travelling, this avoids being blocked if the CC company think transactions are spurious.

Use a credit card which will help with accumulating miles and a credit card with special travel insurance.

Download and set-up travel apps - booking.com, uber and link to your credit card - avoids cash & you get electronic receipts

Have online banking on your phones for your credit card so you can keep your eye on transactions and instantly contact the company if there is a problem

Loyalty pays - hotel chains and airlines in particular - it's worth paying an extra few quid for flights if you are a frequent flyer with the same airline - money off flights, use of lounges, extra baggage, fast track security, upgrades etc - Hotels too - I get a 15% discount off a particular chain.

Have paper copies of tickets, passport pages, visas, insurance, other travel docs, and immunisation cards... I lost my passport once in an airport and thankfully the copies helped. In India (I'm there now) some airports won't even let you into the departure area unless you have paper copies of your tickets.

Always have a pen! Can't tell you how many times I have forgotten a pen and have had to hunt for one on arrival at certain airports that require you to fill in an arrival card.

In your wallet have a slip with your flight numbers, passport number etc... this saves having to get multiple documents out when completing entry forms / visas.

I could go on, but I am sure you're all much smarter than me and know all this!

Quote Originally Posted by AfricanBluebird View Post
    Am an extensive traveller (for work, sadly) I only use a credit card when travelling and then pay it all off when my expenses are paid, which is within days after I submit my expense claims so I don't get charged interest.

Some travel tips that I have picked up over the years:

Tell you credit card company when and where you are travelling, this avoids being blocked if the CC company think transactions are spurious.

Use a credit card which will help with accumulating miles and a credit card with special travel insurance.

Download and set-up travel apps - booking.com, uber and link to your credit card - avoids cash & you get electronic receipts

Have online banking on your phones for your credit card so you can keep your eye on transactions and instantly contact the company if there is a problem

Loyalty pays - hotel chains and airlines in particular - it's worth paying an extra few quid for flights if you are a frequent flyer with the same airline - money off flights, use of lounges, extra baggage, fast track security, upgrades etc - Hotels too - I get a 15% discount off a particular chain.

Have paper copies of tickets, passport pages, visas, insurance, other travel docs, and immunisation cards... I lost my passport once in an airport and thankfully the copies helped. In India (I'm there now) some airports won't even let you into the departure area unless you have paper copies of your tickets.

Always have a pen! Can't tell you how many times I have forgotten a pen and have had to hunt for one on arrival at certain airports that require you to fill in an arrival card.

In your wallet have a slip with your flight numbers, passport number etc... this saves having to get multiple documents out when completing entry forms / visas.

I could go on, but I am sure you're all much smarter than me and know all this!
    👏

International

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    You can bet Mr X, no names will have tried putting their card in the freezer to see if it works

International

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    So does my NatWest app.
    Does it, free cash withdrawals from oversea cash machines and no conversion charges?

OK thats good for a big bank if correct.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    Does it, free cash withdrawals from oversea cash machines and no conversion charges?

OK thats good for a big bank if correct.
    Option to freeze card.

I read your post as if you were making out it was new. It's been about an age.

Edit that. The instant notification was what I was replying to sorry. Thought that was standard.

International

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Option to freeze card.

I read your post as if you were making out it was new. It's been about an age.

Edit that. The instant notification was what I was replying to sorry. Thought that was standard.
    OK, my other accounts don't show in the same way, Monzo bleeps and shows without opening the app the very second, I find that useful

Starling is supposed to be just as good too!

I've done a fair few trips abroad, and on some occasions I used a travel card, and on others, I didn't. At the end of the day, I don't think it makes a whole lot of difference, cost-wise. Yes, one card will charge you a bit for the transaction, but the other might catch you on the exchange rate. There's very little in it, from what I've seen. I do always take two credit cards, but it's more a case of 'just in case', as you wouldn't want to be stuck abroad without one.

I'd second the chase card. No fees, very close to real exchange rate and cashback on most transactions. Good account for UK use aswell