+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The back 3

The back 3

Are we playing the back 3 in the right positions? Mcguiness is a right footer but plays on the left side. Kipre is left footed but plays in the middle. Ng can use both feet and should be in the middle.

The Italians always played the quickest player as the middle defender and that to me is NG. You also need a player the bring the ball out of defence and again Ng fills that role.

So for rotherham should it be Mcquiness Ng Kipra.

Re: The back 3

Kipre is right footed. He should play in the middle as he's the best centre back and it means we can use his passing. He's also a bit erratic so it makes sense.

Ng plays wide because he isn't very good in the air, and he can act as a full back when the wide centre halves get dragged out wide. That leaves McG who has to play on the left.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhiwbina Blues View Post
    Are we playing the back 3 in the right positions? Mcguiness is a right footer but plays on the left side. Kipre is left footed but plays in the middle. Ng can use both feet and should be in the middle.

The Italians always played the quickest player as the middle defender and that to me is NG. You also need a player the bring the ball out of defence and again Ng fills that role.

So for rotherham should it be Mcquiness Ng Kipra.
    I have been quite surprised in recent games how much McGuinees actually avoids marking anyone when we are defending.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Kipre is right footed. He should play in the middle as he's the best centre back and it means we can use his passing. He's also a bit erratic so it makes sense.

Ng plays wide because he isn't very good in the air, and he can act as a full back when the wide centre halves get dragged out wide. That leaves McG who has to play on the left.
    Your contributions regarding such things are always worth reading, old fruit.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Your contributions regarding such things are always worth reading, old fruit.
    Kind words, thank you

Kind words, thank you
    Yes I echo that. You have a fair bit of tactical knowledge: puts me to shame 😱

Agreed, McGuinness is doing well enough on the left. He’s more reliable than he was last season and is looking completely at home at this level - my one disappointment about him is that he’s not made any difference at all when it comes to attacking set pieces, although you could hardly blame him for that last night.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Agreed, McGuinness is doing well enough on the left. He’s more reliable than he was last season and is looking completely at home at this level - my one disappointment about him is that he’s not made any difference at all when it comes to attacking set pieces, although you could hardly blame him for that last night.
    He's not a morrison or a Flint

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    He's not a morrison or a Flint
    Given the way they played last season, I could say thank God.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Given the way they played last season, I could say thank God.
    In terms of threats at set pieces

A centre back who can chip in like morrison did in our promotion season is a god send

A centre back who can chip in like morrison did in our promotion season is a god send
    Not if he can't defend for toffee.

Season 17/18
    Championship 3 H Cardiff City (1.) Sheffield United Sheff Utd (12.) 2:0 CB 44' 1:0 Header
    Championship 30 A Cardiff City (3.) Leeds United Leeds (10.) 1:4 CB 45'+5 0:3 Header
    Championship 29 H Cardiff City (3.) Bolton Wanderers Bolton (20.) 2:0 CB 44' 2:0 Header
    Championship 32 H Cardiff City (4.) Middlesbrough FC Middlesbrough (9.) 1:0 CB 33' 1:0 Header
    Championship 44 H Cardiff City (2.) Nottingham Forest Nottm Forest (16.) 2:1 CB 35' 1:0 Header
    Championship 45 A Cardiff City (2.) Hull City Hull City (18.) 0:2

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/sean.../spieler/79723

He scored 6 goals

4 of them he scored in games we won by more than one. Made no difference to our point's total.

He scored the only goal against Middlesbrough. Gained us 2 extra points.

He put us 1 nil up against Forest. We won 2-1 so you could argue either way for that one but it wasn't a winning goal, but he contributed to 3 points so we'll go a 2 point gain here again.

6 goals 4 points

We would have finished on 86 points 2 behind Fulham.