+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Emergency warning system

Emergency warning system

Emergency warning system. Ref: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-64999417

What do you make of this? Scarily reminiscent of the 1970's Protect and Survive broadcast I think:

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/...e_warnings.htm

Forgive my cynicism but somehow I don't think I would need to be warned via my mobile phone in the event of local flooding or forest fires in my area - it should be pretty obvious well in advance! I can't help wondering if H.M. Gov. is preparing us for nuclear war in the event our friend Putin goes doolally?

Re: Emergency warning system

I'm uncomfortable with it tbh. Mainly because I don't want a world where we are all tied to smartphones, but it also raises some questions about government overreach and the whole 'thin end of the wedge' thing.

I note you will be able to turn the settings off (which I would probably do on principle!) but this doesn't sound right, does it?

"A message will appear on the home screens of people's devices during the test, with vibration and a loud warning sound that will ring for about 10 seconds, even if the phone is set to silent."

they have these already in the States, where they're used for warnings of severe weather and even to alert people to look out for suspects following a kidnap etc.

you can be fairly certain that we (the UK) will cock it up completely though in so e bizarre and very expensive way

My last smartphone broke and I never replaced it. It was a smart move

lets just hope the chap running the Hawai'i version is not let near our own.

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    Emergency warning system. Ref: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-64999417

What do you make of this? Scarily reminiscent of the 1970's Protect and Survive broadcast I think:

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/...e_warnings.htm

Forgive my cynicism but somehow I don't think I would need to be warned via my mobile phone in the event of local flooding or forest fires in my area - it should be pretty obvious well in advance! I can't help wondering if H.M. Gov. is preparing us for nuclear war in the event our friend Putin goes doolally?
    I think it's more to do with preparing the public for a future of frequent 'alerts' for all sorts of things - 'flu' Covid, extreme weather [it's hot - put your sunscreen on'. Probably - and I say this genuinely - the biggest intrusion yet into people's private lives. It is, truly staggering what they're considering.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    they have these already in the States, where they're used for warnings of severe weather and even to alert people to look out for suspects following a kidnap etc.

you can be fairly certain that we (the UK) will cock it up completely though in so e bizarre and very expensive way
    Yes, I don't think I would want to rely on someone sitting in a control room possibly hundreds of miles from where I live letting me know about the conditions in my area! I would assume that anyone who lives in an area prone to flooding or forest fires would be more aware of the local situation than anyone. It might conceivably be handy in the case of escaped prisoners on the loose or terrorists on the prowl?

In the broader picture the increasing reliance on mobile phones/Internet for everyday "stuff" is much more frightening IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    My last smartphone broke and I never replaced it. It was a smart move
    it says "This post was made using an Iphone 3"

just sayin'

Today's the day for the emergency alert, boys, at 3pm.

The fella who features in the video that's embedded below suggests smartphone users turn their devices off as the simplest method to not receive the emergency alert. He claims initially the alert was set to be sent during the 'early evening' of this date but was switched to 3pm within the past fortnight. The BBC link in the opening post of this thread includes this line: 'The test is expected to take place in the early evening of 23 April.'

I've read you can keep the phone on but not get today's alert, and future ones, by making changes via the Settings app. Placing the device's Airplane Mode to on would be the easiest way.

He says he will will switch his phone off for today and the next two days as he feels something nasty may occur.

At the 5:40 mark he refers to reports of dodgy looking workers placing devices beneath manhole covers throughout London. They've been doing so since February, he says, usually during the wee small hours and they were using plain white vans.

From 13:00 he talks about the number of mobile phone connections there are in the UK and what size of frequency wave will be created when delivering a message to millions of them simultaneously.

Those of a nervous disposition may wish to skip the entire video as he hints at plenty of other dark stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post

The fella who features in the video that's embedded below suggests smartphone users turn their devices off as the simplest method to not receive the emergency alert. He claims initially the alert was set to be sent during the 'early evening' of this date but was switched to 3pm within the past fortnight. The BBC link in the opening post of this thread includes this line: 'The test is expected to take place in the early evening of 23 April.'

I've read you can keep the phone on but not get today's alert, and future ones, by making changes via the Settings app. Placing the device's Airplane Mode to on would be the easiest way.

He says he will will switch his phone off for today and the next two days as he feels something nasty may occur.

At the 5:40 mark he refers to reports of dodgy looking workers placing devices beneath manhole covers throughout London. They've been doing so since February, he says, usually during the wee small hours and they were using plain white vans.

From 13:00 he talks about the number of mobile phone connections there are in the UK and what size of frequency wave will be created when delivering a message to millions of them simultaneously.

Those of a nervous disposition may wish to skip the entire video as he hints at plenty of other dark stuff.

Well that frequency wave was a doozy

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post

Why didn’t you deactivate it like everyone else I know

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post

A comment from this video

Here in Glasgow, they seem to be doing a LOT of work at traffic lights, pedestrian crossings. Literally every set of them. Anyone have any ideas as to why this is happening, on top of everything else?
    And what about Premier League matches tomorrow? Will this alert be screaming during play?
    And I think you're right. This is all leading up to some terrible event where they can say "We TOLD you we were sending a warning alert"
    Sinister as hell. All of it.'
    Did older people eat lead paint by the spoonful when they were kids or something? It's the only explanation to you all freaking out about tiny things such as 5g, mass phone alerts or 15 minute cities, but when an actual threat like climate change happens, nothing.

In the future they'll look at this time and see how the internet combined with low education levels and elderly naiveness (that's why scammers on the phone target them) made seemingly a whole generation batshit insane.

If it benefits and helps its a good thing . Many countries to it.

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    Why didn’t you deactivate it like everyone else I know
    Didn’t want to fiddle with my phone settings in case I turned off my vaccine Bluetooth by accident.

My Bluetooth speaker has a cable too, but I don’t really fancy plugging that into any of my “ports”

Didn’t want to fiddle with my phone settings in case I turned off my vaccine Bluetooth by accident.

My Bluetooth speaker has a cable too, but I don’t really fancy plugging that into any of my “ports”
    Good to see your supporting “The Current Thing”

It looks like he was more taking the piss out of a combination of Morg's assertion you can inject 2mm bluetooth receivers through the top of a 0.5mm syringe and todays You Tube offering from a random bloke who looks like he spends most of his life in a room with no windows that we were all going to be hit by some kind of frequency tsunami.

If that is "The Current Thing", good on Canton Kev!

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    It looks like he was more taking the piss out of a combination of Morg's assertion you can inject 2mm bluetooth receivers through the top of a 0.5mm syringe and todays You Tube offering from a random bloke who looks like he spends most of his life in a room with no windows that we were all going to be hit by some kind of frequency tsunami.

If that is "The Current Thing", good on Canton Kev!
    Are you feeling ok today x

Are you feeling ok today x
    Did you start posting today thinking you would be erudite and persuasive? If so how has that gone for you? x

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    Did you start posting today thinking you would be erudite and persuasive? If so how has that gone for you? x
    I posted in response to numerous threads , whether you, or anyone else agrees or disagrees is totally irrelevant. The sooner you realise that the better.

I guess that one went over your head.

If you’re looking for someone supporting “The Current Thing” I’d be looking towards the guy backing new doomsday scenarios on a weekly basis when the previous one fails to materialise.

In fact. He’s in this very thread. Step on up Mr Morgan!

Quote Originally Posted by Doucas View Post
    A comment from this video

Did older people eat lead paint by the spoonful when they were kids or something? It's the only explanation to you all freaking out about tiny things such as 5g, mass phone alerts or 15 minute cities, but when an actual threat like climate change happens, nothing.

In the future they'll look at this time and see how the internet combined with low education levels and elderly naiveness (that's why scammers on the phone target them) made seemingly a whole generation batshit insane.
    As an "older person" I don't recall eating spoonfuls of lead paint. However what I do know, and fear for the future, is the total reliance this and subsequent generations will have on mobile phones/Internet technology for everything, not just for phone calls but for everyday transactions. The chaos caused by a malfunction of the system will be something to behold! A hacker's paradise.

But back to the topic. I am not usually a conspiracy theorist and rarely comment on some of the more bizarre discussions on this alternative forum (which in any case seems to be the private reserve for the same half dozen or so posters). However this emergency warning system thing has got me thinking!

We are told that other countries like Australia have such a system but it seems that this has been tested there since 2009 although not fully implemented everywhere until 2021. Is it just a coincidence that the UK tests a similar system in 2023 when tensions with Russia are escalating? I don't recall that the UK is particularly prone to earthquakes, bush fires, tsunamis or terrorist attacks - flooding possibly. My hunch is that we are being prepared for nuclear war just as we were back in the mid 1970's but this time it's a case of an "event not daring to speak it's name".