+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Retirement age

Re: Retirement age

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    I’m counting down the days, 9 days til I step down & 78 days til I retire, going to be very strange after 48 years of continuous employment.

Suggestions please
    I speak to Elderly customers who are retiring ( early or not ) and they come in 2 types

a. Im going to relax and do nothing for a few months, after all ive worked for 40 years I deserve that ( these normally, just sit in the chair and take it easy for 6 months, which turns into 9 months as its now maybe winter and its too cold / summer and its packed everywhere, they never really get going again, so that chair is what they know till they Die, health often deteriorates and they just wait to die )

b. Im going to do this or that hobby, live my life to the full and enjoy my retirement, but im not stopping, just changing work for enjoyment ( these normally look younger and have a decent life )

Choose Life, Choose B

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    I speak to Elderly customers who are retiring ( early or not ) and they come in 2 types

a. Im going to relax and do nothing for a few months, after all ive worked for 40 years I deserve that ( these normally, just sit in the chair and take it easy for 6 months, which turns into 9 months as its now maybe winter and its too cold / summer and its packed everywhere, they never really get going again, so that chair is what they know till they Die, health often deteriorates and they just wait to die )

b. Im going to do this or that hobby, live my life to the full and enjoy my retirement, but im not stopping, just changing work for enjoyment ( these normally look younger and have a decent life )

Choose Life, Choose B
    Life and good health is finite. Make sure you do what you have always wanted to do before circumstances prevent you from doing it.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Doucas View Post
    We can afford it but we choose to make the insanely rich even richer instead.
    60 is a good age to retire, people need to be able to provide for themselves though, as the state retirement will keep getting pushed back, if people start work and commit 10% of their wages to a pension with an employer's top up it should still be possible.

Most people need a lot less in retirement anyway.

International

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post

Choose Life, Choose B
    I think I'll do a combo of the two, 66% b 34% a, it is true about the Winter, it rains all the time in Wales and it's hard to get out as much, that's probably the time retired people should holiday.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/20...te-pension-age

Apparently the plan to bring forward the SPA has been paused until after the next GE

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    I’m counting down the days, 9 days til I step down & 78 days til I retire, going to be very strange after 48 years of continuous employment.

Suggestions please
    I retired five years ago after 44 years of continuous employment. I had a plan to do some things I'd always wanted to do like learn to play guitar and sail a dinghy. All well and good but didn't satisfy the need to feel valued. I looked at my skill set from work and now volunteer at the sailing club as their training adminstrator. I was always a keen DIYer so also volunteer one day a week at my local 7th tier football club doing grounds maintenance, paving, fencing, plumbing etc. Met loads of new friends into the bargain. So I'd say figure out what you're good at and volunteer those skills back into the community. Gives you a reason to get off your arse with no real pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I know a couple of people that have proper union jobs that have been working for 30-odd years. If your age and your years of service add up to 81 you can retire on a full pension with full health benefits for life. That deal won't be on the table to whoever inherits their jobs. Everyone should be able to retire at 60. At least you've still got a few decent years left.
    You can retire at any age you wish.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Only if you are able to.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    That's right as long as you aren't bothered by things like money or living in the street.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    The thing is people are not living longer in the U.K. Average male life expectancy for males is down to 78.7 years and for females 82.7 years.
    True. But in absolute numbers the elderly are increasing. Also, growing infirmity places an increasing burden on government spending on the NHS, increasing national debt burden and necessitating extending retirement age.
    Animated population pyramids for UK, UK, nations and individual towns and cities:
    https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulat...ive/2020-01-08

On my retirement i will start a power trio. a la Rush,ZZ top,Nirvana and Depeche mode.