Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: FT: WALES 1 - 0 LATVIA. Match thread

FT: WALES 1 - 0 LATVIA. Match thread

Tuesday March 28th, ko 7:45pm
    form Cardiff City Stadium

Live on S4C and streaming service Viaplay

euro_table.jpg

Re: WALES v LATVIA. Match thread

Hope Page isn’t too cautious and we go for the win.

This is Ampadu's team now, so just pick the players who can take advantage of his forward passing. Having watched a rerun of last nights game, we were much better after the substitutions, and I would start with most of the players who finished that game

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    This is Ampadu's team now, so just pick the players who can take advantage of his forward passing. Having watched a rerun of last nights game, we were much better after the substitutions, and I would start with most of the players who finished that game
    I'm glad you're not the manager

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I'm glad you're not the manager
    You must have watched a different game then. Post-Bale, it is obvious that we need a new game plan. The starting front 4 were our biggest weakness yesterday.

You must have watched a different game then. Post-Bale, it is obvious that we need a new game plan. The starting front 4 were our biggest weakness yesterday.
    Moore did ok but they looked like they’d never met before.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    Moore did ok but they looked like they’d never met before.
    It's going to be tough as the "get the ball to Bale" option is no longer available. I thought the lads who came on yesterday did a better job of showing for the ball, and they put themselves about a bit. Johnson is still an unknown quantity regarding the levels he can reach, so it make sense to look at the players who can perform as a team, and then hope that some of the youngsters eventually come good.

Moore worked tirelessly for the team with little of the ball. He held it up really well. Ramsey had a good hour too, worked really hard and tried to drive Wales forward. You wouldn't start with that front 4 again - madness.

No we weren't. We lost all the momentum that we'd been building once those subs were made and forced back constantly by Croatia despite being in the ascendancy before the subs. Moore was effective in winning headers and bringing the ball down, the few times we kept the ball for long periods came from Ward going long to Moore, Bradshaw isn't capable of that

The issue with the front 4 was the huge distances between them and the midfield two who were sitting too deep to support them (presumably under instruction), there was nobody to help fill the huge gaps as we were focusing our play wide. The inclusion of Wes Burns ahead of Aaron Ramsey will not remedy that.

I rate Ampadu as well, but you're reaching the point of parody here. The players we should be taking advantage of are Ramsey and (when he's fit) Johnson.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    I rate Ampadu as well, but you're reaching the point of parody here. The players we should be taking advantage of are Ramsey and (when he's fit) Johnson.
    I'm looking at it from a leadership perspective, Ramsey offered little as a captain when we were under sustained pressure, while Ampadu was engaging with everybody around him.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    No we weren't. We lost all the momentum that we'd been building once those subs were made and forced back constantly by Croatia despite being in the ascendancy before the subs.
    How many times have you watched the game?

I'm looking at it from a leadership perspective, Ramsey offered little as a captain when we were under sustained pressure, while Ampadu was engaging with everybody around him.
    I don't think that Ramsey is a captain, although i'm not all that struck on that kind of thing anyway. Thing is, it's ok to 'talk' on the pitch, but sometimes it can just be bollocks, obvious stuff, there's a time and place for it, and some players don't want to hear it, everyone reacts in a different way. Ampadu may well be contributing with his ability to talk to players, although it might be a load of old bollocks as well, and it might just be that's how he plays the game, he likes to be verbal, and no ****er is listening to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I don't think that Ramsey is a captain, although i'm not all that struck on that kind of thing anyway. Thing is, it's ok to 'talk' on the pitch, but sometimes it can just be bollocks, obvious stuff, there's a time and place for it, and some players don't want to hear it, everyone reacts in a different way. Ampadu may well be contributing with his ability to talk to players, although it might be a load of old bollocks as well, and it might just be that's how he plays the game, he likes to be verbal, and no ****er is listening to him.
    Without hearing what he was saying, I did notice players were playing the ball where he told them to play it, and also when to hold the ball.

Without hearing what he was saying, I did notice players were playing the ball where he told them to play it, and also when to hold the ball.
    Discovered that on your fourteenth viewing did you?

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Discovered that on your fourteenth viewing did you?
    It's probably better to discuss your views on the game rather than act all snarky, because it's this type of behaviour that brings the message down. In football parlance, play the ball not the man before even more people get fed up and leave because of the juvenile behaviour of certain posters

It's probably better to discuss your views on the game rather than act all snarky, because it's this type of behaviour that brings the message down. In football parlance, play the ball not the man before even more people get fed up and leave because of the juvenile behaviour of certain posters
    *Message board

High horse time is it

I fell asleep after their goal, was probably on the way to sleeping actually and just heard it rather than saw it, then awoke to our fans celebrating as we scored, probably the different tone in the English commentary that startled me.

There is a lot that brings this board down, sarcastic and funny comments aimed at you aren't one of them.

*Message board
    Bloody predictive text!

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    High horse time is it

I fell asleep after their goal, was probably on the way to sleeping actually and just heard it rather than saw it, then awoke to our fans celebrating as we scored, probably the different tone in the English commentary that startled me.

There is a lot that brings this board down, sarcastic and funny comments aimed at you aren't one of them.
    It's a pity you weren't more interested in the game, specifically the tactical approach taken by two similar sized nations. It was certainly worth another watch IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    Bloody predictive text!
    My laptop doesn't have predictive text.

My laptop doesn't have predictive text.
    We know, you said you don't have a smart phone but report from games, keep up!

Well, he's playing in a good position in order to be the other players eyes, and he may well be a vocal Chappie anyway. Here's one for you to he on, as you watch the game several times. Count how many times Ampadu points in the direction he feels the ball should go. I have never seen a player point as much as him, it's incredible!

Well, he's playing in a good position in order to be the other players eyes, and he may well be a vocal Chappie anyway. Here's one for you to he on, as you watch the game several times. Count how many times Ampadu points in the direction he feels the ball should go. I have never seen a player point as much as him, it's incredible!
    It certainly qualifies as an idiosyncrasy. He's quite good at reading the game, but nowhere near the Croatia lads who really were incredible.

It certainly qualifies as an idiosyncrasy. He's quite good at reading the game, but nowhere near the Croatia lads who really were incredible.
    Yeah, but chasing players around isn't his game. He needs a semi free roll in my opinion, where he can drop off into pockets of space and set things up. Only problem is that a team sort of needs building around him then, and that's a big ask. He's decent, but he needs to give a bit more, i'm not quite sure what it is he needs to give, but something is missing.

Yeah, but chasing players around isn't his game. He needs a semi free roll in my opinion, where he can drop off into pockets of space and set things up. Only problem is that a team sort of needs building around him then, and that's a big ask. He's decent, but he needs to give a bit more, i'm not quite sure what it is he needs to give, but something is missing.
    I think we need to improve our tactics across the board, and maybe that new Man Utd coach can help with that? Start with simple stuff like passing around players instead of trying to pass through them, etc. I noticed Ampadu was telling the CB's to hold the ball until the Croatia players started to come onto them, which is what the Croatia defenders were doing up the other end of the pitch.