+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sunderland Fans

Re: Sunderland Fans

Quote Originally Posted by ROKERITE View Post
    Gateshead is the classic if you can't beat them join them. The town's identity is overwhelmed by Newcastle. Newcastle United's Chairman voted for the town's football club to be booted out of the league in 1960. Yet there are probably more fanatical NUFC supporters per head of population in Gateshead than in N-U-T itself.
    South Tyneside, Hebburn, Jarrow and South Shields have always been split between black and white and red and white; but were probably 70/30 in our favour. That all changed when Keegan returned in '92. Among the under forty-years-old football fans there it's probably more than 70/30 in Newcastle's.
    Washington, although technically part of greater Sunderland, has a lot of people who've moved from Tyneside and has a lot of black and whites.
    Durham, Consett, Chester-le-Street and West County Durham are split with an increasing percentage of Newcastle fans. Bishop Auckland is sadly majority Newcastle these days though bizarrely West Auckland is still probably more red and white. Shildon is a small place.
    So Newcastle United has the entire county of Northumberland with a tiny few exceptions, mainly descendants of Durham miners who at some point moved to the Northumberland coalfield. They have Gateshead and increasingly the rest of the South bank of the Tyne. They have half and growing support from West and South County Durham and before long will have countless bandwagon jumpers from throughout the U.K..
    We retain Sunderland and the East Durham coast down to Peterlee.
    Although historically our record can match Newcastle United's their support has in the vast majority of seasons slightly exceeded ours. I fear in the future their success on the field and their support off it will leave us in their wake. But we'll still have our club!
    Great post, very interesting. Keep posting on here, we need new blood!

I was at that Sunderland game in 1980. Had to delay kick off to let them in, never seen anything like it. Official crowd was about 20,000, but there must have been quite a bit more than that there. Seemed like it.

Gateshead is the classic if you can't beat them join them. The town's identity is overwhelmed by Newcastle. Newcastle United's Chairman voted for the town's football club to be booted out of the league in 1960. Yet there are probably more fanatical NUFC supporters per head of population in Gateshead than in N-U-T itself.
    South Tyneside, Hebburn, Jarrow and South Shields have always been split between black and white and red and white; but were probably 70/30 in our favour. That all changed when Keegan returned in '92. Among the under forty-years-old football fans there it's probably more than 70/30 in Newcastle's.
    Washington, although technically part of greater Sunderland, has a lot of people who've moved from Tyneside and has a lot of black and whites.
    Durham, Consett, Chester-le-Street and West County Durham are split with an increasing percentage of Newcastle fans. Bishop Auckland is sadly majority Newcastle these days though bizarrely West Auckland is still probably more red and white. Shildon is a small place.
    So Newcastle United has the entire county of Northumberland with a tiny few exceptions, mainly descendants of Durham miners who at some point moved to the Northumberland coalfield. They have Gateshead and increasingly the rest of the South bank of the Tyne. They have half and growing support from West and South County Durham and before long will have countless bandwagon jumpers from throughout the U.K..
    Although historically our record can match Newcastle United's their support has in the vast majority of seasons slightly exceeded ours. I fear in the future their success on the field and their support off it will leave us in their wake. But we'll still have our club!
    Often see a south shields banner at Sunderland games

I always thought tyneside was 100 percent geordie but from what you say the south bank has plenty of mackems

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    It was May 1980. Crowd was 19,834. Considering the home game against Swansea a month earlier had drawn a crowd of 14,634, it puts the Sunderland support into perspective.
    I had started watching the City a year or so before this; most home games and a smattering of aways. I had up to this game been impressed with the number of our fans that travelled. Seeing the number of Sunderland fans in and around the ground that day put it in perspective. Really impressive turnout.

That’s really interesting..

Our catchment is really wierd. Huge population area. I’d say the old Mid and South Glamorgan which is something like 1.1m and then a good part of Gwent ( except Newport) which would be another 300k..
    Sadly the actual fans are spread very thinly across this area with most football fans following LFC and Man U.. in terms of local clubs we’d be the most popular in all the area I mentioned.

Massive potential, particularly with rugby on the wane, but wasted by mistake after mistake running the club.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    When you factor in Sunderland's population is about half of Cardiff's and that they have a massive club just a few miles up the road, it puts their support in perspective.
    In 2022 the population of sunderland metro area was 344,000. and like Cardiff they get support from a greater area. Up there you re either one or the other, Geordie or mackem.
    I think there is such support for football because its such a miserable place to live it's about the only way to have a good day out

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Sunderland are a big club

But they are not as big as Newcastle who get 50000 in the championship

Apart from the plastico clubs nobody can match that
    Used to be similar sized clubs back in the 70’s/80’s looking at crowds….Newcastle definitely moved into pole position in the PL time and seem to have found another 20,000 fans….it must be tough to be a Sunderland fan at the moment, it’s going to get much worse too.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    In 2022 the population of sunderland metro area was 344,000. and like Cardiff they get support from a greater area. Up there you re either one or the other, Geordie or mackem.
    I think there is such support for football because its such a miserable place to live it's about the only way to have a good day out
    Sunderland is not on many tourist routes but Durham and its surroundings, the City of Newcastle, Tynemouth, North Shields, Whitley Bay and wider Northumberland, miserable places to live. Come on!

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Often see a south shields banner at Sunderland games

I always thought tyneside was 100 percent geordie but from what you say the south bank has plenty of mackems
    South Shields might even be closer to Sunderland.

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    Sunderland is not on many tourist routes but Durham and its surroundings, the City of Newcastle, Tynemouth, North Shields, Whitley Bay and wider Northumberland, miserable places to live. Come on!
    Never been up that way, the whole coast north of hull is something I’m keen to travel through one day. Quite a few places on my list before that mind

International

Have you lived there?
    I agree it can be a great outing, like city supporters going up for a weekend when we played Newcastle, but believe me, I'm not trying to be nasty, I'm just telling the truth. It's depressing, and there is no release from that. Newcastle has it's good points but in my experience Sunderland has none except the football team.

I've a soft spot for Sunderland.
    F'ck The Mags!

Have you lived there?
    I agree it can be a great outing, like city supporters going up for a weekend when we played Newcastle, but believe me, I'm not trying to be nasty, I'm just telling the truth. It's depressing, and there is no release from that. Newcastle has it's good points but in my experience Sunderland has none except the football team.
    Perhaps we are arguing and agreeing about the same thing. I have never lived in the North East but spent many months of my life working in Newcastle, mainly Jesmond and the Business Park. You only have to watch Get Carter to see the difference between Newcastle then and now. The transport infrastructure knocks South Wales into a cocked hat and the places I mentioned I would argue are great places to live.

If you were just on about the Sunderland area then I have no quibbles.

International

Perhaps we are arguing and agreeing about the same thing. I have never lived in the North East but spent many months of my life working in Newcastle, mainly Jesmond and the Business Park. You only have to watch Get Carter to see the difference between Newcastle then and now. The transport infrastructure knocks South Wales into a cocked hat and the places I mentioned I would argue are great places to live.

If you were just on about the Sunderland area then I have no quibbles.
    Yes we were discussing Sunderland.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Never been up that way, the whole coast north of hull is something I’m keen to travel through one day. Quite a few places on my list before that mind
    Yeah that North Yorkshire coast, Scarborough, Whitby etc is a bit of a blank on my personal map. The Northumberland Coast, north of Newcastle, though is absolutely stunning. From Alnmouth, the port of Alnwick (inland but worth a visit), up to Craster, Dustanburgh, Seahouses through to Lindisfarne. The jewel is Bamburgh Castle and its beach though. On the right day (not guaranteed) it takes your breath away.

When we were last there it was a bit surreal as they were preparing to film the latest Indiana Jones film there the next week. Bit strange to wander the ramparts where there were mock burnt out turrets and Second World War German half trucks in the grounds!

Yes we were discussing Sunderland.
    We've got a lovely beach! Cold and windswept more days than not but impressive nonetheless.
    Oh and though I'm a County Durham man (they changed the boundaries in 1974 but they can't steal my birth-right) I can't deny that Northumberland is a most beautiful county.

Spent a lot of time up that way in my 34 years as a seafarer. Always thought South shields and down was prodomnately SAFC. North shields and upwards the Toon. Gateshead and Hebburn on the south side of the tyne being the exception - pro Toon. Heworth railway station seemed to be the DMZ.
    Spedger

I'm currently at a campsite in Berwick-upon-Tweed. I watched a group of Sunderland fans being put through the usual football agony watching their side against Hull on Sky on Friday.

Other than Edinburgh it's the first time I've been north of Newcastle. Will take a trip to Lindisfarne and Alnwick and maybe Bamburgh Castle, or Jedburgh. It's chilly mind but totally different to Devon and west Wales which we've done loads of times.

Stopped at Harrogate for a night on the way up and that was lovely, could well go back to Yorkshire to explore more.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    I'm currently at a campsite in Berwick-upon-Tweed. I watched a group of Sunderland fans being put through the usual football agony watching their side against Hull on Sky on Friday.

Other than Edinburgh it's the first time I've been north of Newcastle. Will take a trip to Lindisfarne and Alnwick and maybe Bamburgh Castle, or Jedburgh. It's chilly mind but totally different to Devon and west Wales which we've done loads of times.

Stopped at Harrogate for a night on the way up and that was lovely, could well go back to Yorkshire to explore more.
    A lot of really nice places around Leeds like Harrogate, Ilkley , Otley , Menston

Leeds is a great city , it would be even better if it was on the coast