+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sunderland Fans

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Sunderland Fans

Allocation 2,846 , for our game ,have sold 2,300 so far ,fantastic supporters

Re: Sunderland Fans

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    Huge club

Obsessed with football up there

Whenever Sunderland's support is mentioned on this board, it invariably brings back memories of the time they came to Ninian Park (early 80s?) and made it feel like an away game for us. I was approaching the ground along Tudor Rd and had not witnessed such away support like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    Whenever Sunderland's support is mentioned on this board, it invariably brings back memories of the time they came to Ninian Park (early 80s?) and made it feel like an away game for us. I was approaching the ground along Tudor Rd and had not witnessed such away support like it.
    On the way to that game, a Sunderland fan dressed as a Gorilla and his mate (not of the female Gorilla type) approached me as I walked down Sloper Rd, and the Gorilla said out loud, in a good natured manner, “oh look, finally a Cardiff fan”. “Three nil” he added chortling away.

“Yes, 3-0 to City”, I had to agree.

I guessed he didn’t take it too well, because of the expletives coming forth, and the way he was stepping towards me with clenched fists.

But his mate quickly diffused any situation and started laughing at his Gorilla friend, slapping him on his silverback, and said “he got you there!”.

So I continued on walking to the game, together, with my 2 new best mates, and what seemed like a million good natured Sunderland fans.

I can’t remember the final result, but I seem to recall that it was a draw in suspicious circumstances, given that depending on other results, a draw would give them the title, and we would avoid relegation.

Whenever Sunderland's support is mentioned on this board, it invariably brings back memories of the time they came to Ninian Park (early 80s?) and made it feel like an away game. I was approaching the ground along Tudor Rd and had not witnessed such away support like it.
    1979 ?

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    1979 ?
    Somewhere around that time.

Somewhere around that time.
    It was May 1980. Crowd was 19,834. Considering the home game against Swansea a month earlier had drawn a crowd of 14,634, it puts the Sunderland support into perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    It was May 1980. Crowd was 19,834. Considering the home game against Swansea a month earlier had drawn a crowd of 14,634, it puts the Sunderland support into perspective.
    I suppose it demonstrates how much our home support has grown over the years. The next Cardiff v Swansea fixture is expected to attract around 25/26,000 with an away crowd of around 1,800.

my first year as a season ticket holder .

Sunderland support was huge that day

Did the jacks bring many fans back then? They didn’t in the late 80’s…..

Given all the old footage available, that Billy Ronson goal against Swansea is one I've never seen. My old man wouldn't let me go to the game.

When you factor in Sunderland's population is about half of Cardiff's and that they have a massive club just a few miles up the road, it puts their support in perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    When you factor in Sunderland's population is about half of Cardiff's and that they have a massive club just a few miles up the road, it puts their support in perspective.
    The current metro population of Sunderland is 345,000. With many other neighbouring places with decent populations such as Durham, Chester-le-Street etc it has a large catchment area to the south of Newcastle. In fact I’ve worked with lads from Blyth, which you’d assume was a Mag stronghold, who are Mackems through and through. I went with them years ago to a first division relegation clash at Maine Road, 15,000 away fans, Moss Side was awash with red & white. You say a massive club up the road, you can rest assured, Sunderland are just as big as Newcastle.

International

In 2022 the population of sunderland metro area was 344,000. and like Cardiff they get support from a greater area. Up there you re either one or the other, Geordie or mackem.
    I think there is such support for football because its such a miserable place to live it's about the only way to have a good day out

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    In 2022 the population of sunderland metro area was 344,000. and like Cardiff they get support from a greater area. Up there you re either one or the other, Geordie or mackem.
    I think there is such support for football because its such a miserable place to live it's about the only way to have a good day out
    Sunderland is not on many tourist routes but Durham and its surroundings, the City of Newcastle, Tynemouth, North Shields, Whitley Bay and wider Northumberland, miserable places to live. Come on!

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    Sunderland is not on many tourist routes but Durham and its surroundings, the City of Newcastle, Tynemouth, North Shields, Whitley Bay and wider Northumberland, miserable places to live. Come on!
    Never been up that way, the whole coast north of hull is something I’m keen to travel through one day. Quite a few places on my list before that mind

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Never been up that way, the whole coast north of hull is something I’m keen to travel through one day. Quite a few places on my list before that mind
    Yeah that North Yorkshire coast, Scarborough, Whitby etc is a bit of a blank on my personal map. The Northumberland Coast, north of Newcastle, though is absolutely stunning. From Alnmouth, the port of Alnwick (inland but worth a visit), up to Craster, Dustanburgh, Seahouses through to Lindisfarne. The jewel is Bamburgh Castle and its beach though. On the right day (not guaranteed) it takes your breath away.

When we were last there it was a bit surreal as they were preparing to film the latest Indiana Jones film there the next week. Bit strange to wander the ramparts where there were mock burnt out turrets and Second World War German half trucks in the grounds!

International

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    Have you lived there?
    I agree it can be a great outing, like city supporters going up for a weekend when we played Newcastle, but believe me, I'm not trying to be nasty, I'm just telling the truth. It's depressing, and there is no release from that. Newcastle has it's good points but in my experience Sunderland has none except the football team.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Have you lived there?
    I agree it can be a great outing, like city supporters going up for a weekend when we played Newcastle, but believe me, I'm not trying to be nasty, I'm just telling the truth. It's depressing, and there is no release from that. Newcastle has it's good points but in my experience Sunderland has none except the football team.
    Perhaps we are arguing and agreeing about the same thing. I have never lived in the North East but spent many months of my life working in Newcastle, mainly Jesmond and the Business Park. You only have to watch Get Carter to see the difference between Newcastle then and now. The transport infrastructure knocks South Wales into a cocked hat and the places I mentioned I would argue are great places to live.

If you were just on about the Sunderland area then I have no quibbles.

Footy mad up that way. I wonder if having a big club just up the road actually improves support as the local rivals are more visible and on your doorstep all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Footy mad up that way. I wonder if having a big club just up the road actually improves support as the local rivals are more visible and on your doorstep all the time.
    look at Aston Villa too with 5 major clubs around them thats if you include Coventry . They have a huge fan base possibly bigger than Leeds/ Sunderland / Newcastle .

Apparently Sunderland have sold 2,771 tickets

Apparently Sunderland have sold 2,771 tickets
    So they haven't sold them all - there are 75 left! Big club indeed..

All joking apart - They were known as the Bank of England club back in the pre war days, a huge supporter base across the North East and travel in numbers most clubs cannot match.

If you've not watched Sunderland til I Die yet it's well worth a watch (Netflix). Much more interesting I thought than All or Nothing Man City/ Arsenal/ Spurs.

Take it from Newcastle -
    “Sunderland’s a massive ATF”

https://youtu.be/brZlUfTtPmw