+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Welsh entry in BBC's "Who Is the Best Pundit in Football" poll.

The Welsh entry in BBC's "Who Is the Best Pundit in Football" poll.

Has to be Helen Ward - former Wales striker on BBC Radio Wales.
    A sample of her shrewd and perceptive comments tonight:

"It's been semi-productive.
    We just want to be a bit braver on the ball and a bit more creative."

"I want to see a player running across the front post."

"I'd like to see Ramsey take more than one touch he is trying to do everything first time and I don't think he needs to, he has got more time than he thinks.
    If we can get him on the ball a bit more and impacting the game a bit more it is only going to be a good thing for Wales."

"Kieffer Moore is doing all the right things today, he is getting themselves involved with the centre backs, it's his game to get himself in there, get his body in between and win free kicks."

"Dan James' pace frightens the life out of defenders and when he is in this sort of mood he is an outlet for Wales all day long. Neco Williams bursting down on the outside. If the two of them can do that more it is only going to play in to Wales' hands."

"Nathan Broadhead will be itching to get on, it is a really good game for a player like him to come on to, especially on the high he's come off on Saturday."

"Wales get to a certain point, with good pace and then it all slows down and we end up going backwards again."

"I might be being harsh on Aaron Ramsey but I feel with the front four he has probably impacted the game the least.
    He has got so much ability on the ball, but he is almost playing within himself"

"This is a really key time for Wales, they need to hold their own, nothing silly, make sure they are marking up properly and competing for that first contact."

"I've never seen a left back have so many attempts from the same part of the pitch"

Re: The Welsh entry in BBC's "Who Is the Best Pundit in Football" poll.

Dan James had about 5 or 6 attempts at crossing the ball before putting the one in for the goal. They were awful.

Interesting comments about Ramsey only taking one touch when you think back to how he used to be criticised for taking too many of them when he was younger. Maybe he was playing to orders in that she does make the, correct in my view, point that we didn't move the ball quick enough for most of the time and maybe him trying to hit quick passes was his attempt to speed things up a bit? Whatever the truth, Ramsey's influence on the game was limited despite him staying on for more than ninety minutes and not looking like he was getting tired.

I'd agree that he made the least impact of the front four and I think we're going to need more from him in the upcoming matches when he's playing in a more forward role than he occupied on Saturday. It's strange why he couldn't bring his ability to bear more on the game, because you don't lose that at his age, it's the legs that start to go, but, although it might be that he cannot make the lung bursting runs beyond the striker as often as he once did, it didn't appear that he was struggling in terms of stamina.

I see Connor Roberts getting some criticism on here, but I wonder if his lack of crosses had something to to do with how his club side plays, because Burnley aren't about crosses to a big man this season. I'm sure he's spending more time, checking back and opting for a more patient approach - he needs to start getting the crosses in more when playing for his country though.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post

"I'd like to see Ramsey take more than one touch he is trying to do everything first time and I don't think he needs to, he has got more time than he thinks.
    If we can get him on the ball a bit more and impacting the game a bit more it is only going to be a good thing for Wales."

"Kieffer Moore is doing all the right things today, he is getting themselves involved with the centre backs, it's his game to get himself in there, get his body in between and win free kicks."

"Dan James' pace frightens the life out of defenders and when he is in this sort of mood he is an outlet for Wales all day long. Neco Williams bursting down on the outside. If the two of them can do that more it is only going to play in to Wales' hands."

"Nathan Broadhead will be itching to get on, it is a really good game for a player like him to come on to, especially on the high he's come off on Saturday."

"Wales get to a certain point, with good pace and then it all slows down and we end up going backwards again."

"I might be being harsh on Aaron Ramsey but I feel with the front four he has probably impacted the game the least.
    He has got so much ability on the ball, but he is almost playing within himself"

"This is a really key time for Wales, they need to hold their own, nothing silly, make sure they are marking up properly and competing for that first contact."

"I've never seen a left back have so many attempts from the same part of the pitch"
    I like the Phillips-Blake-Ward combination, particularly that’s it’s no too serious and they have a bit of a laugh.

International

Quote Originally Posted by EastbourneBlue View Post
    I like the Phillips-Blake-Ward combination, particularly that’s it’s no too serious and they have a bit of a laugh.
    Yes as a combo they work well.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Interesting comments about Ramsey only taking one touch when you think back to how he used to be criticised for taking too many of them when he was younger. Maybe he was playing to orders in that she does make the, correct in my view, point that we didn't move the ball quick enough for most of the time and maybe him trying to hit quick passes was his attempt to speed things up a bit? Whatever the truth, Ramsey's influence on the game was limited despite him staying on for more than ninety minutes and not looking like he was getting tired.

I'd agree that he made the least impact of the front four and I think we're going to need more from him in the upcoming matches when he's playing in a more forward role than he occupied on Saturday. It's strange why he couldn't bring his ability to bear more on the game, because you don't lose that at his age, it's the legs that start to go, but, although it might be that he cannot make the lung bursting runs beyond the striker as often as he once did, it didn't appear that he was struggling in terms of stamina.

I see Connor Roberts getting some criticism on here, but I wonder if his lack of crosses had something to to do with how his club side plays, because Burnley aren't about crosses to a big man this season. I'm sure he's spending more time, checking back and opting for a more patient approach - he needs to start getting the crosses in more when playing for his country though.
    I thought Ramsey played ok, composed on the ball as always. Interesting seeing him close up 2nd half, pointing to where he wanted Broadhead to go when he came on. Roberts had a poor game for him I thought, which you can't say often....Neco however was outstanding. Morrell I thought was very good, 1 mistake aside, constantly looking for the ball, receiving it and moving it intelligently.

The radio commentary was alright last night, a bit smashie and nicey at times, but it takes talent to talk continuously without talking utter drivel

This just sounds like most of the lazy punditry available today - it could be pretty much anyone in the ground saying this.

Where is the genuine professional insight that people like myself will never ever have? Tell me something that I don’t know because you are/were a professional footballer at the highest level and I’m not, otherwise keep quiet and stop sounding like the person next to me. Or worse!

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Dan James had about 5 or 6 attempts at crossing the ball before putting the one in for the goal. They were awful.
    waste of a shirt for me

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    This just sounds like most of the lazy punditry available today - it could be pretty much anyone in the ground saying this.

Where is the genuine professional insight that people like myself will never ever have? Tell me something that I don’t know because you are/were a professional footballer at the highest level and I’m not, otherwise keep quiet and stop sounding like the person next to me. Or worse!
    22 blokes kicking a ball around a field. You see what they see. I'd rather they keep it simple. Watching Jamie Carragher scientifically analyse every major incident in a game as if it's grand master chess is just for the audience - it's mostly complete bollocks.

Quote Originally Posted by poc View Post
    waste of a shirt for me
    He was always out there hugging the touchline, but we really didn't play to his strengths, a number of times we could have put him in on a foot race with their fullback just by playing a simple ball in behind, and we always checked back and played a safer ball first.
    Usually when we got the ball to James it was played into him with one or 2 defenders immediately on him, expecting him to beat players from a standing start with the ball - which we have seen him do but is a lot more difficult if the defender has a bit of pace too.

But yeah several of his crosses were wasted, but then he did provide the one for the only goal of the game, one of the few times we actually got behind their defence

And there's me thinking Wales were far to ponderous last night taking too many touches and often telegraphing what we were about to do except for Rambo who was trying to drag the rest of the team up to his level.

Agreed.
    The odd thing is that I posted this because I found much of what she wrote to be incomprehensible - to the extent of quoting it to Mrs C as an example of what females have added to football.
    I'm amazed that posters have taken it so seriously.

Agreed.
    The odd thing is that I posted this because I found much of what she wrote to be incomprehensible - to the extent of quoting it to Mrs C as an example of what females have added to football.
    Women football pundits get stick just for being women - they’re on a hiding to nothing however they try to pitch their comments.

What surprises me is that men get so worked up about the fact that women can talk coherently about the game when the truth is that our two previous managers used to come out with inane, manager speak crap week after week in their press briefings and the people I see criticising in this thread never had a word to say about that.

It was actually relevant to the game which many commentators fail to do.

International

Women football pundits get stick just for being women - they’re on a hiding to nothing however they try to pitch their comments.

What surprises me is that men get so worked up about the fact that women can talk coherently about the game when the truth is that our two previous managers used to come out with inane, manager speak crap week after week in their press briefings and the people I see criticising in this thread never had a word to say about that.
    I'm generally not a fan of women commentators, but I thought the show worked well with the other two, there was a bit of fun, and generally good observations, people have to remember it was for radio, especially if they were watching it with coverage on s4C with the sound down and stopped so they were at the same time.

It was not supposed to be perfect TV commentary.

Agreed.
    tbf I think most posters were too amazed at the amount of effort that went into a "forget the low block is my tea ready yet love" post to take it seriously.

I think that’s an excellent piece of punditry and I agree with every word she said.
    We have to move on from the “glad to be there” attitude with Wales and start looking for good performances and results against teams of this ilk.

He can't be the only one that plays a different style for club and country though?

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    tbf I think most posters were too amazed at the amount of effort that went into a "forget the low block is my tea ready yet love" post to take it seriously.

Agreed.

You and me then Cyclops.

The number of people who wildly laud female co-commentators (mostly on Twitter admittedly ) is just embarrassing. Most of them are just as bad as the male co-commentators.

Yet more virtue signalling, maybe?

You and me then Cyclops.

The number of people who wildly laud female co-commentators (mostly on Twitter admittedly ) is just embarrassing. Most of them are just as bad as the male co-commentators.

Yet more virtue signalling, maybe?
    The time when Match Of the Day is presented by Alex Scott with two female pundits can't be far off.

I've got a lot of time for lady footballers - Leah Williamson is a brilliant captain and leader imo and Alisha Leymann has some admirable qualities - but others do perhaps let the side down.

My opinion on the punditry had nothing to do with her gender. It just struck me as an accurate assessment - nothing more, rather than the usual patronising view we get of Wales.

The time when Match Of the Day is presented by Alex Scott with two female pundits can't be far off.

I've got a lot of time for lady footballers - Leah Williamson is a brilliant captain and leader imo and Alisha Leymann has some admirable qualities - but others do perhaps let the side down.
    After she has read the news, presented the weather forecast, done all the continuing announcements and pretty much everything else on the BBC.

I am at a loss as to why Alex Scott is seemingly on TV all the time. It certainly isn’t because of her presenting ability or punditry skills.

I am at a loss as to why Alex Scott is seemingly on TV all the time.
    I assume that when she appears on TC, you go outside the room mumbling 'I'm just going outside - and may be some time'

(I meant Alisha Lehmann in my previous post - Moore would have been proud of her first goal last weekend)