+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Latvian fans in lower grandstand.

Re: Latvian fans in lower grandstand.

Quote Originally Posted by Armitage Shanks View Post
    What about those phone torch lights? Where did that come from.
    Phones, I think

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    I was opposite them in The Ninian and could hear them and see them bouncing a lot. Good support from a small group, I thought the Wales fans were a bit subdued last night.
    Same here. I estimated that there was about 100 of them.

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    Should have listened it on the telly....keep up!

In fairness I have been in different parts of the ground for different games and the acoustics vary considerably. If you were in the Grandstand close to the Canton, likelihood that was the dominant noise for your failing good ear!
    Remember the gantry in the middle of the Bob Bank, the tv crew used to have a microphone hanging down above the crowd (I use the word crowd ), you’d watch the highlights of a cracker against Rochdale, or the like, and you’d swear the noise was shipped in from a Boca/River Plate match

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Remember the gantry in the middle of the Bob Bank, the tv crew used to have a microphone hanging down above the crowd (I use the word crowd ), you’d watch the highlights of a cracker against Rochdale, or the like, and you’d swear the noise was shipped in from a Boca/River Plate match
    That was our chosen spot in the early 80s when we weren't playing, usually evening games. Unfortunately that seemed to be Dai Hunt's favoured spot as well so what BBC Wales probably picked up are the kind of seal noises Attenborough is trying to preserve 40 years on!.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post
    The boys did think they were throwing Nazi salutes though.
    This changes things a bit if so.

Quote Originally Posted by Armitage Shanks View Post
    What about those phone torch lights? Where did that come from.
    Boredom, lack of atmosphere, seeing it at the Spain friendly at the Millennium a few years ago, and thinking it was the norm.

I apologise for going to the game, should have watched it on the telly
    I had a ticket, work is killing me off lately with everything else I've got going on, I was sleeping by the time we scored last night..

Well done for going, even if you didn't hear them and they had microphones near by they were outnumbered by a distance with more Welsh fans in the same section who I couldn't hear...

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    This changes things a bit if so.
    Stamp on that asap. Absolute nonsense

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    Stamp on that asap. Absolute nonsense
    I certainly didn't see it.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    I had a ticket, work is killing me off lately with everything else I've got going on, I was sleeping by the time we scored last night..

Well done for going, even if you didn't hear them and they had microphones near by they were outnumbered by a distance with more Welsh fans in the same section who I couldn't hear...
    That part of the grandstand is comp tickets, journalists and old doddery folks. TV mics are never reflective of being there in person.

It’s evident when you watch PL games and places like the Emirates and Anfield are a cauldron of noise. When in reality they’re closer to a thimble of noise.

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    That part of the grandstand is comp tickets, journalists and old doddery folks. TV mics are never reflective of being there in person.

It’s evident when you watch PL games and places like the Emirates and Anfield are a cauldron of noise. When in reality they’re closer to a thimble of noise.
    Mics only reach that small part of the ground do they? Never going to pick up the other 20000 odd? Sure.

Mics only reach that small part of the ground do they? Never going to pick up the other 20000 odd? Sure.
    You’re right. The 100 or so Latvians were louder than the 33,000 Welsh fans. If someone had sneezed next to a mic then that must mean everyone in the ground had a cold lol

Mics aren’t representative of what it’s like in the ground. The audio levels get adjusted and get changed throughout the game too. Sky got caught out cutting mics in one part of the stadium when, I think, Boro or Derby fans were singing “**** Sky TV” lol

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    You’re right. The 100 or so Latvians were louder than the 33,000 Welsh fans. If someone had sneezed next to a mic then that must mean everyone in the ground had a cold lol

Mics aren’t representative of what it’s like in the ground. The audio levels get adjusted and get changed throughout the game too. Sky got caught out cutting mics in one part of the stadium when, I think, Boro or Derby fans were singing “**** Sky TV” lol
    You'd think even with the mic being closer to they'd be heard yes, but surely the larger support would be heard over such a small number?

You'd think even with the mic being closer to they'd be heard yes, but surely the larger support would be heard over such a small number?
    Not necessarily.
    With the Latvian fans being so close to the commentators, their noise would've been picked up by their lip mics. They cut out most other noise but picking up some nearby noise is unavoidable. General crowd noise would be picked up by other mics around the ground and their level controlled separately, so as not to make the commentary inaudible.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    "Beastie laughing caught by Wrexham, hey, hey!"

It all makes sense now....

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    Is that it? No wonder I never heard them.

Is that it? No wonder I never heard them.
    They had to turn the thousands of Welsh fans riiiight down on the mic so we didn't hear them and it wasn't inaudible, and turn up 27 Latvians to get the balance right, or something, on TV.

I'm glad I fell asleep half hour in.