+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Looking at the highlights on the Sky website

Looking at the highlights on the Sky website

How on earth were Sawyers and Wintle the two defenders near the 6 yard box when Cabango scored? Sawyers is caught ball watching, Wintle can't react.

Given the close proximity to the penalty area of the free kick, surely you'd put your best defenders in the 6 yard box in case they're needed and let the rest form the wall?

Also, the first two goals look awful every time I've seen them.

Re: Looking at the highlights on the Sky website

I can’t bring myself to watch them. Happened a lot this season

We talk about bottling it but that’s multiple games this year where we just haven’t had enough players or the right players in the box deep into stoppage time costing us a huge result. They had well over a minute to prepare for that free kick as well.

At some point you have to start looking at the intelligence of the players on the field as well as the preparation, but we’ve given up horrendous late goals under multiple managers now. Just a total lack of composure and common sense when it matters.

It wasn’t the first time Sawyers was in a trance this afternoon. Simply not good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    It wasn’t the first time Sawyers was in a trance this afternoon. Simply not good enough.
    He's an important player for us. Ralls, Rinamota and Wintle are too similar. Sawyers can at least control midfield if he has the ball.

We looked much better with Sawyers on the pitch, but admittedly defensively he can switch off on occasions.

I don't like singling out players particularly - but Ralls, our captain, is just not up to captaining this side.

The lack of leadership, game know-how and game management is shocking.

Whether we stay up or not, Ralls shouldn't be captain next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    How on earth were Sawyers and Wintle the two defenders near the 6 yard box when Cabango scored? Sawyers is caught ball watching, Wintle can't react.

Given the close proximity to the penalty area of the free kick, surely you'd put your best defenders in the 6 yard box in case they're needed and let the rest form the wall?

Also, the first two goals look awful every time I've seen them.
    The best defenders are in the wall, so they can’t get it up and down as they’re the tallest.

Players have switched off completely. They did all afternoon. Was a complete shambles.

Quote Originally Posted by AfricanBluebird View Post
    We looked much better with Sawyers on the pitch, but admittedly defensively he can switch off on occasions.

I don't like singling out players particularly - but Ralls, our captain, is just not up to captaining this side.

I don't get this we played better in the second half stuff, we did absolutely nothing despite having the more creative Sawyers and Colwill on the pitch for most of it apart from string a few passes together to score a goal which proved how easy Swansea were to open up if we'd been good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I don't get this we played better in the second half stuff, we did absolutely nothing despite having the more creative Sawyers and Colwill on the pitch for most of it apart from string a few passes together to score a goal which proved how easy Swansea were to open up if we'd been good enough.
    I think the first 33 minutes were one of the worst in many years. We weren't as bad in the second half.

I agree completely. I think it would have been a very fortune point had City got one as the goal was the only effort of note in the second half. It was a poor performance by City throughout - very disappointing as I believed beforehand that Lamouchi would set the team up better and have the players pumped up for the occasion. He failed on both counts, although I do think Swansea are simply a better side.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I agree completely. I think it would have been a very fortune point had City got one as the goal was the only effort of note in the second half. It was a poor performance by City throughout - very disappointing as I believed beforehand that Lamouchi would set the team up better and have the players pumped up for the occasion. He failed on both counts, although I do think Swansea are simply a better side.
    I managed to avoid finding out the result and decided to watch the full-90 minutes on Cardiff City TV this afternoon (Sunday) instead.
    Straight from the kick-off, I was dismayed by the lack of press when Swansea had possession. Kaba, in particular, was just ambling toward the Swansea defenders with no real sense of urgency.
    Then when I saw that first goal go in and how totally switched off the defence was, I could sense the tone of the game was already being set.
    I decided that with a sense of foreboding, I couldn't bear to go through 90 minutes of this. I switched to watching 'bite-size highlights' instead. Naturally, I got no comfort from that either.

In fairness to Kaba, unless he has back up, his pressing would have been a total waste of energy. City may as well have sat in the stand and applauded in that early spell.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    I managed to avoid finding out the result and decided to watch the full-90 minutes on Cardiff City TV this afternoon (Sunday) instead.
    Straight from the kick-off, I was dismayed by the lack of press when Swansea had possession. Kaba, in particular, was just ambling toward the Swansea defenders with no real sense of urgency.
    Then when I saw that first goal go in and how totally switched off the defence was, I could sense the tone of the game was already being set.
    I decided that with a sense of foreboding, I couldn't bear to go through 90 minutes of this. I switched to watching 'bite-size highlights' instead. Naturally, I got no comfort from that either.
    We were very poor again

No way does this side have the guts to battle for survival

It might over the next few games but not at present

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I think the first 33 minutes were one of the worst in many years. We weren't as bad in the second half.
    You talk about thirty three minutes in the first half, but I’d argue we put one of the worst defences in the Championship under realpressure for about thirty three seconds after the break (i.e the move we scored from). Our best period of the game was the fifteen minutes after Philogene’s goal when we got him on the ball consistently - as I mentioned in my blog, all this period of “dominance” did really was allow us to showcase our poor crossing skills, but Swansea were looking wobbly at times at 1-0. We played poorly throughout, but, for me, we looked more likely to score in the first half.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    You’d have been better off watching one of the zillion trashy TV series and filums on Netflix, Apple TV+ etc. Ie the ones with a Brit/Irish/Aussie throwing an excruciating American accent. Just can’t stand that. Maybe worth a punt in the Alternative Forum

End of story.

Quote Originally Posted by Incy Wincy Spider View Post
    You’d have been better off watching one of the zillion trashy TV series and filums on Netflix, Apple TV+ etc. Ie the ones with a Brit/Irish/Aussie throwing an excruciating American accent. Just can’t stand that. Maybe worth a punt in the Alternative Forum

End of story.
    Oh Jeez, another multi. Just what this shit weekend needs!

You talk about thirty three minutes in the first half, but I’d argue we put one of the worst defences in the Championship under realpressure for about thirty three seconds after the break (i.e the move we scored from). Our best period of the game was the fifteen minutes after Philogene’s goal when we got him on the ball consistently - as I mentioned in my blog, all this period of “dominance” did really was allow us to showcase our poor crossing skills, but Swansea were looking wobbly at times at 1-0. We played poorly throughout, but, for me, we looked more likely to score in the first half.
    That we cut through their defence so easily with one of our only decent moves of the game shows how shaky they are at the back. Makes it all the more frustrating that we didn't look to do it more often, instead taking far too long on the ball

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    That we cut through their defence so easily with one of our only decent moves of the game shows how shaky they are at the back. Makes it all the more frustrating that we didn't look to do it more often, instead taking far too long on the ball
    O'Dowda was very frustrating in that respect during the first half. He often seemed to have loads of space, but he was painfully slow to attempt to do anything with it.

Joe "backward pass" Ralls.

All about opinions Paul - I thought in the second half we started to bully Swansea a bit for a period of time and also started passing a bit quicker - resulting in them picking up several bookings... proving that Swansea struggle when closed down effectively and get frustrated when they are pressed. Why we didn't start like that is beyond me.

All about opinions Paul - I thought in the second half we started to bully Swansea a bit for a period of time and also started passing a bit quicker - resulting in them picking up several bookings... proving that Swansea struggle when closed down effectively and get frustrated when they are pressed. Why we didn't start like that is beyond me.
    All of us where I was sat were bemoaning the lack of pressing and found it really bizarre.

Swansea were clearly the better side but City made them look even better due to the total lack of pressure on them. On the rare occasions when City got anywhere near their goal area in the first half there was a noticeable sense of panic amongst their defenders. (I say the first half because I was in the family stand directly behind the Swansea goal so I had a close-up view).

Swansea are possibly the best footballing side in the Championship

That's all very romantic but doesn't win you games

What does win you games is turning up for a local Derby when your opponents just let you have the ball and don't hassle you

It's like Christmas twice a year for them

All the talk of ccfc being up for this game was complete bollocks