+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Colwill

Re: Colwill

It's because he has ability and for whatever reason he isn't showing it enough, so there is or has been a problem, whether that's injury, growing or development, none of us really know. Thing is, nobody is going to talk about talks or RINO, because they have developed and they ain't going to develop anymore, it's just a bonus when either of them perform, so there isn't much to say, they've done their developing and both players are on the slide. Colwill isn't, he should be on the up, and he started his career well, so fans can and should be excused for singling him out a bit because of his potential, there's a greater interest in him as an individual and as a player, because the club have developed him.

Some people aren't exactly constructive with their thoughts on Colwill, but it's more out of the fact that he showed us that he can turn in a display and do the odd thing that other players can't do, therefore, they have every right to ask why it isn't happening any more, or why as it seems he has gone backwards, and we can all speculate, but none of us see him every day or know his character.

It isn't a witch hunt, it's natural for fans to be critical, that's the game colwill is in, and I'm sure that he's aware of the fact that he hasn't developed into what he and we were expecting.

On the slip side of things, maybe certain fans shouldn't have bigged him up as much as they did when he arrived on the scene, he was young and developing, and haven't we all been there before? A bit of balance on both sides wouldn't go amiss.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    It's because he has ability and for whatever reason he isn't showing it enough, so there is or has been a problem, whether that's injury, growing or development, none of us really know. Thing is, nobody is going to talk about talks or RINO, because they have developed and they ain't going to develop anymore, it's just a bonus when either of them perform, so there isn't much to say, they've done their developing and both players are on the slide. Colwill isn't, he should be on the up, and he started his career well, so fans can and should be excused for singling him out a bit because of his potential, there's a greater interest in him as an individual and as a player, because the club have developed him.

Some people aren't exactly constructive with their thoughts on Colwill, but it's more out of the fact that he showed us that he can turn in a display and do the odd thing that other players can't do, therefore, they have every right to ask why it isn't happening any more, or why as it seems he has gone backwards, and we can all speculate, but none of us see him every day or know his character.

It isn't a witch hunt, it's natural for fans to be critical, that's the game colwill is in, and I'm sure that he's aware of the fact that he hasn't developed into what he and we were expecting.

On the slip side of things, maybe certain fans shouldn't have bigged him up as much as they did when he arrived on the scene, he was young and developing, and haven't we all been there before? A bit of balance on both sides wouldn't go amiss.
    Good post.

I've tried to stay away from the match thread and others that look like reactionary posts..been more than guilty myself in the past of posting some crap in an emotional state!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Is he a better player now than when he first came on the scene, and impressed with the Welsh senior team?
    Based on what he’s shown this season in the City first team, no. It’s less than two years since he was picked in front of Brennan Johnson for the Euros mind and I wonder how he would have fared under a proven developer of players like Steve Cooper. Sadly, there’s very little evidence that the current Cardiff City coaching structure is able to improve their Academy players beyond the stage where they where they get their first pro deals.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Deep lying playmaker?

Maybe we can retrain him into a Defensive Midfielder....
    I'd seriously swap him for Joe Ralls at the moment. At least the ball would go forward.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    I'd seriously swap him for Joe Ralls at the moment. At least the ball would go forward.
    Joe Backwards Pass Ralls got right under my skin Saturday. And when he did attempt a forward pass it wasn't exactly great...

he looked like he played the entire game.

he needs a change, he's been garbage for us

SuperBluebirds91

I haven’t unfortunately been able to get to the games due to my health but from what I’ve heard and seen on match threads I’m on the fence with him. I feel as if he could be so much better but it just doesn’t seem to be happening. That said I’m not saying he is a bad player but maybe just not at this level. Perhaps he will suit us well if we do go down to league 1!

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    I noticed that with Ralls on Sat.

I’m sure that it is because his legs have gone though as he used to be quite a dynamic player. But not any more :-(

On the slip side of things, maybe certain fans shouldn't have bigged him up as much as they did when he arrived on the scene, he was young and developing, and haven't we all been there before?
    This is a very significant part of the equation as far as I’m concerned.

It wasn’t long ago that the local press and plenty of knowledgeable fans were talking in all sincerity about a golden generation of youngsters at Cardiff City. Yet here we are a year or so further down the line watching a team with a pitiful attacking record that is battling against relegation, and the only young players featuring regularly were brought in from other clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post

It wasn’t long ago that the local press and plenty of knowledgeable fans were talking in all sincerity about a golden generation of youngsters at Cardiff City. Yet here we are a year or so further down the line watching a team with a pitiful attacking record that is battling against relegation, and the only young players featuring regularly were brought in from other clubs.
    It's a common theme with some, although maybe not as hyperbolic as the latest crop. You can add Declan john, who actually played in the Premier league, Adam Mathews, who i think reached his potential, although he was never the same again (Apparently) after Dave Jones did for him. The only two players that i have got excited about over the past 30 years who have come through our system are Nathan Blake and Ramsey, and to a lesser degree, Joe Ledley.

Thing is, it's unfair to praise these young players up too much, there needs to be some balance. I'm not surprised at the local press for doing it, but football fans with 40 or 50 years behind them? Give over! We've seen plenty of players with natural ability who don't develop, that's not to say that the 'Golden crew' won't fulfill their potential, but people shouldn't be surprised if they don't. That age from 20-22 is so crucial for young players, and if they don't kick on during that period then it becomes very difficult for them, in my opinion

Joe Backwards Pass Ralls got right under my skin Saturday. And when he did attempt a forward pass it wasn't exactly great...
    Ralls legs have gone, he's so slow and ponderous now, he' 60% the player he was.

Ralls legs have gone, he's so slow and ponderous now, he' 60% the player he was.
    I'm not wanting to single him out, I've stayed away from certain threads, but as soon as I saw his name on the team sheet my head dropped.

We've done well without him.

He was brought in, more than likely, as he's been here so long knows the game the area blah blah blah. If I had to guess I'd say Bamba probably pushed that one...

He was a decent player.

He isn't anymore.

Big Ralls fan previously but he just doesn’t have it anymore. He’s still a solid player but doesn’t offer enough defensively or in attack and to add his passing is hit and miss.

I'm not wanting to single him out, I've stayed away from certain threads, but as soon as I saw his name on the team sheet my head dropped.

We've done well without him.

He was brought in, more than likely, as he's been here so long knows the game the area blah blah blah. If I had to guess I'd say Bamba probably pushed that one...

He was a decent player.

He isn't anymore.
    I think that he's gone, didn't look great last season. Find that with players who develop quite young, especially in those positions, wide players who are flying at 19-20 have an even shorter shelf life, and strikers who rely on pace. He's been great for us, although didn't he sign a 2 year deal?

I think that he's gone, didn't look great last season. Find that with players who develop quite young, especially in those positions, wide players who are flying at 19-20 have an even shorter shelf life, and strikers who rely on pace. He's been great for us, although didn't he sign a 2 year deal?
    I think he's a decent footballer in the wrong team, what frustrates me about him is that for someone his size his physical presence is non-existent, I went to watch Cardiff City Ladies V Cardiff Met yesterday, if only he had some of their effort and bite on the pitch.

Agreed. Sad to see as he has been good for us over the years but not anymore. :-(

We certainly don’t have other midfielder players to accommodate him so I just can’t see how he can start a game. Ralls/Wintle/Rino was always a concern which makes me wonder why Sabri couldn’t see that.

Maybe coming on to shore up a game if we are leading with 20 mins to go, but even then I think that we probably have other midfield players that can do that job better than him.

You were saying Colwill was obviously starting eleven quality at the start of the season, now you're criticising people for bigging him up. I agree with yours and Tuerto's point though, there was a lot of hype about the youngsters and I was guilty of that too.

I think the hype around Colwill increased again as soon as it looked like Morison didn't fancy him and there were rumours of a falling out. That was used as another stick to beat Morison with but it didn't do any favours for Colwill on here, it just raised the expectation that he'd kick on as soon as Morison left but that didn't happen.

Plenty of time for those youngsters to come good yet but considering how many 18-20 year olds we've given debuts to in the past couple of seasons it's been a disappointing return so far, for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    You were saying Colwill was obviously starting eleven quality at the start of the season, now you're criticising people for bigging him up. I agree with yours and Tuerto's point though, there was a lot of hype about the youngsters and I was guilty of that too.

I think the hype around Colwill increased again as soon as it looked like Morison didn't fancy him and there were rumours of a falling out. That was used as another stick to beat Morison with but it didn't do any favours for Colwill on here, it just raised the expectation that he'd kick on as soon as Morison left but that didn't happen.

Plenty of time for those youngsters to come good yet but considering how many 18-20 year olds we've given debuts to in the past couple of seasons it's been a disappointing return so far, for sure.
    Absolutely. The number of youngsters we've had breaking into the first team and establishing a regular place has been shocking for far too many years.

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    You were saying Colwill was obviously starting eleven quality at the start of the season, now you're criticising people for bigging him up.
    Was I really? Are you sure you're not confusing me with somebody else?

And I'm not criticising anyone for 'bigging him up.' I was merely saying that, in my opinion, a major reason for the widespread disappointment with Colwill's contribution this season is that this time last year many fans and pundits seemed to believe he was going to be something special.

I've always been on the fence where Colwill is concerned and I'm pretty sure I've said as much on here on plenty of occasions. He has obvious natural ability, but I've never agreed with those who think he has a good football brain. Indeed, I think the opposite is true. When he does things quickly and instinctively he shows some real quality, but when he has time and space on the ball he often makes the wrong choices.

One thing I've definitely been disappointed by on several occasions this season has been the fact that Colwill's been left on the bench in games where City desperately needed a goal. I think we had this debate a while ago, although I can't remember the match concerned. I cannot see the point in having a player like him on the bench in the first place if you're not going to use him when you're either chasing a game or seeking a much-needed winner.

And I'm not criticising anyone for 'bigging him up.' I was merely saying that, in my opinion, a major reason for the widespread disappointment with Colwill's contribution this season is that this time last year many fans and pundits seemed to believe he was going to be something special.

I've always been on the fence where Colwill is concerned and I'm pretty sure I've said as much on here on plenty of occasions. He has obvious natural ability, but I've never agreed with those who think he has a good football brain. Indeed, I think the opposite is true. When he does things quickly and instinctively he shows some real quality, but when he has time and space on the ball he often makes the wrong choices.

One thing I've definitely been disappointed by on several occasions this season has been the fact that Colwill's been left on the bench in games where City desperately needed a goal. I think we had this debate a while ago, although I can't remember the match concerned. I cannot see the point in having a player like him on the bench in the first place if you're not going to use him when you're either chasing a game or seeking a much-needed winner.
    And that, in a nutshell, is really where Colwill finds himself.

Out of interest, where do you see Colwill in terms of Peter Whittingham when Whitts first came to us? My recollection is that Whitts divided opinion and many City fans would have been happy to see him go to Forest in 2010. I'm not suggesting they are comparable players, more that I'm looking at Colwill who can provide inspirational moments but go missing for long spells. Whitts was similar in his early seasons with us, but he looked far more comfortable with the ball and much more assured that Colwill ever has.

Whitts came through a few tough seasons and suddenly became an incredible footballer for us.

I've always been on the fence where Colwill is concerned

https://www.ccmb.co.uk/showthread.php?454494-Colwill

Fair enough. Although Morison was starting the likes of Watters and Harris back then, so I think I can be excused.

That was on the night City were beaten 2-1 by Luton. Colwill came on as a 59th minute sub. I wonder if things would have panned out differently for him if he'd been given a run of games then? Unlikely that would have happened as Morison was bombed out a few days later and Hudson didn't seem to trust him. Philogene wasn't especially impressive earlier in the season but he's become an important player as the campaign has worn on. Meanwhile, Ojo has been, well, Ojo.

By the way, I'd be tempted to start him on Friday. What have we got to lose?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Whitts came through a few tough seasons and suddenly became an incredible footballer for us.
    I know people were divided over Whittingham to a degree, but I recall him starting well enough in his first (half) season and then the whole team struggled in his second before the FA Cup livened the season up, and Whitts was a major player in that. I think maybe his third season wasn't too great, but then he scored some incredible goals in his fourth. He always looked a quality player though, even when not in the best of form. He definitely had a good football brain.

By the way, I'd be tempted to start him on Friday. What have we got to lose?
    Assuming Robinson isn’t fit, I’d play him or Philogene behind Kaba. Potentially I’d play both if Etete isn’t fit